How many TPBs do you buy per year?

• 59 results
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How many TPBs do you buy per year? (52 votes)

None 12%
1 to 5 23%
6 to 10 8%
10 to 15 12%
15 to 20 19%
More than 20 27%

Just curious, how many trades do you guys buy per year?

I'm mostly a wait-for-trader, though I do pickup the odd single issue now and then, but how many trades do you buy on average? Graphic novels count as well, I guess.

I buy about 12 annually, and in five to six years of collecting have about 50+ only. I know some folks here buy whole shelves of comics in a few months of collecting alone though :O

• 
Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gwhh said:

How can you write this being stuck in the 1980's!!! BUY!!! Dont make me laugh!! I download all my stuff off the internet for FREE. Like any other real America!!!

Gotta love the internet leech attitude.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@veshark: I need to pick up more of Buck-Cap. I know I have gaps. I have to admit but his work on the new Cap volume isn't to my tastes either. Too comic booky for me and not grounded enough.

You also need to see past the art, friend. You're missing out on some good reads because of it. I did read John's pre 52 work and liked it well enough.

It is kind of sad when stone cold killer Hawkeye comes off as the most likable.

@gwhh: You are tracking America is built on capitalism right?

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My interest in comics took a massive spike in the last year, so it went from being 5 a year tops, to like 15 in the last six months.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Veshark

@gwhh I hope you're just trolling, because it's torrenters who refuse to buy (i.e. you) who contribute to the comics market's decline

@risingbean The new comic volume? Are you talking about Remender's current run? Or Ed Brubaker's Vol. 6 run? I haven't read the latter, but the few issues of the former had me cringing. I get that some might enjoy Remender's Kirby-era style where Cap fought weird sciency threats, but the entire series feels so disconnected from the regular MU that I feel like I'm reading some sort of B-movie in comic form.

I realize I sound like a broken record by this point, but as for Action Comics, I can actually overlook Morales' art if the story was good. But as I mentioned before, I browsed through a few issues and didn't really like what I read. I realize this might come off as an inaccurate generalization - and like I said, I might pick it up sometime in the future - but for now, nah.

Yeah, I really liked Hawkeye too. But I've always thought Ultimate Stark was the nicest. He's Tony Stark without the biting snark of the movie-verse or the control-freak-tendencies of 616 Stark.

@roboadmiral What brought about the spike? I hope it wasn't AvX ;)

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@veshark: No, I actually haven't read any of AvX. It was a few things, but I think the biggest one was that I started watching the old episodes of the discussion show they used to have over at iFanboy. They talked about a lot of cool comics, mostly in trade, plenty of them got my interest, and those lead to other comics. I got a deeper interest in the medium from it. I got a greater interest in writers and artists rather than just the characters.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboadmiral

Ah, that's awesome. Yeah, sometimes my interest in comics wavers as well, and then something unexpected will bring that right around. I remember the point when I started going deeper into the medium and began forming opinions on different writers and artists as well. T'was a magical time ;)

Best of luck to your comic collection!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@veshark: It was Brubakers run. He went from gritty espionage to parallel dimension hopping and the like. It's a bit more cartoony then I like. All I have read of Remender is his X-Force stuff. I think I picked up 4-5 trades out of that $350.00 haul.

You know, until you noted it I never realized Stark actually is sorta a nice guy in the Ultimates U. It's weird.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Veshark

@risingbean Yeah, I've heard that about it. Still haven't got around to reading it, but some have mentioned that it's sort of Brubaker breaking away from the espionage mold of the earlier volume and going for a more superhero tone? I read the first arc of Remender's X-Force, and it was pretty enjoyable. Haven't liked his work on Uncanny Avengers or Captain America, however.

Haha yeah, it didn't occur to me until some thought. You never think that Iron Man - the guy famous for being the shallow playboy with drinking problems - would be the nicest guy, but for all his eccentricities, I'd actually argue that he's the least abnormal of the team. His tumor gave him an epiphany to do the right thing. He risks his life for the general public. For all his shallow showboating, he's still surprisingly affable and without the tendency to go all Civil War.

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I buy mostly single issues each week. However, I occasionally buy TPBs for the comics I can't accommodate in my Pull List like Swamp Thing or Wonder Woman.