#1 Posted by Reignmaker (2228 posts) - - Show Bio

If I'm honest with myself, I'm only reading one non-superhero book right now - and it's All-Star Western. I'm also reading a couple Valiant titles that may not technically fall under the traditional "superhero" category (Shadowman, X-O Manowar), but frankly they're close enough that I think they count.

In the past, I think I did a better job at ensuring my pull-list wasn't completely dominated by folks in spandex. However, since DC's Vertigo line was taken away I haven't done a very good job. Most non-superhero books I would pick up had to do with positive word-of-mouth (Fables, Bone, 100 Bullets, etc.) and I think they gave me a more well-rounded reading experience.

So how many non-superhero comic books are you consistently reading? Why do you think the industry is so lopsided toward superheroes? It's clearly a medium that works effectively for other stories as well. What are some non-superhero books out right now that more people should be reading?

'Walking Dead' seems like an obvious candidate, but I'll admit the black-and-white interior has turned me off (shallow of me, I know). 'Chew' is also a series that I've been considering.

#2 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

Thief of Thieves and The Walking Dead.

#3 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

does All Star Western count as non super? I always saw it as super, well, since it's in the DC universe but also because of it's themes.

if it counts as non super hero, I guess Star War comics may also count. but other than that I dont think I read ANYTHING at all that is not super hero related

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

There's Sweet Tooth, but I didn't really read that consistently. More like buying an awful lot of back issues and then waiting for the series to end.

Does I, Vampire count? If it doesn't, then I guess I'm not reading anything not superhero related at the moment. I'm planning to start reading Chew once I, Vampire is over, though.

#5 Posted by Reignmaker (2228 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy:

Yeah, 'All Star' does overlap a bit with the superhero mythology. More so now that it's included in the New 52. But yeah, I don't really consider it as a superhero read because it's more about crime and cowboys.

I wouldn't consider 'Star Wars' a superhero book either.

#6 Posted by judasnixon (6193 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a lot of non-super hero comics. It's hard to say how many non-super titles I'm reading  consistently, because I usually read those in trade. I want to say it's about 50-50. I don't think the industry is lopsided. They're making a ton of awesome non-super hero comics. The sad thing is no one's buying them. So If anything the comic fans are lopsided not the comic industry....... 

#7 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga, Fatale, The Walking Dead, All-Star Western, I Vampire (sucks that its ending)

#8 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

The walking dead

#9 Posted by Catsnlynne (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Earth 2, Flash, Green Arrow, Savage Hawkman, Captain Atom, Deathstroke, Stormwatch, Demon Knights, & Grifter. I read all Superhero books.

#10 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8736 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

I think they gave me a more well-rounded reading experience. So how many non-superhero comic books are you consistently reading?

Most of the stuff I read is not super-heroes. Most of my read are french and belgian comics and down there Super-heroes are not the majority market.

@Reignmaker said:

Why do you think the industry is so lopsided toward superheroes?

It's only like that in the U.S.

#11 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

Chew is something I'm currently reading in trades and its fantastic, I love it. Get on that!

#12 Posted by Bruxae (12605 posts) - - Show Bio

The Walking Dead.

#13 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

None. If there are no men in tights and woman kicking but in heels it doesn't interest me.

But I did like walking dead for a bit.

#14 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

The best 'non-super hero' comic I have ever read is Y - The Last Man... it has ended, but it's is an excellent read.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (29579 posts) - - Show Bio

The Sandman is my favorite comic, and that's not a superhero book - I think superheroes only appeared in about 5 issues grand total, if that. Maybe just 2, come to think of it.

I'm reading Fables right now, too.

Online
#16 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Counting webcomics I'm reading....8 at the moment.

It'd be more if I counted the ones I'm gonna go back and archive binge on.

#17 Posted by roboadmiral (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Got a trade of The Losers the other day and loving it so far. Consistently. . . er. . . I read I, Vampire until Andrea Sorrentino got switched off the art. That's about it. By sheer volume, the vast majority of comics being published are superhero.

#18 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wait we're only talking about comics with plots right?

Because I read a massive amount of joke a day comics.

#19 Posted by New_World_Order (12520 posts) - - Show Bio

Every single one :D

#20 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

does bloodshot count?

#21 Posted by The Stegman (23082 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm....I Vampire, Hack/Slash, Army of Darkness, Buffy the vampire slayer, Angel & Faith, Fables:Fairest...that's about it. 

#22 Edited by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Clone
  • Comeback
  • Fatale
  • Great Pacific
  • Mind MGMT
  • Mind The Gap
  • Nowhere Men
  • Saga
  • The Manhattan Projects
  • The Walking Dead
  • Thief of Thieves

I WIN

#23 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

The best 'non-super hero' comic I have ever read is Y - The Last Man... it has ended, but it's is an excellent read.

Yeah I agree. Its one of my all time favs have em all in hardcover on my bookshelf. Its amazing.

But yeah I read Saga (Also by BKV) which is awesome and Fatale which is fantastic. Really check out Fatale. Get the first trade its seriously one of the best damn comics out right now. Saga as well if you like crazy sci-fi. But seriously anyone not reading Saga and Fatale... I actually feel bad for them. BUY IT.

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

More than the cape ones.

@JairamGanpat said:

  • Clone
  • Comeback
  • Fatale
  • Great Pacific
  • Mind MGMT
  • Mind The Gap
  • Nowhere Men
  • Saga
  • The Manhattan Projects
  • The Walking Dead
  • Thief of Thieves

I WIN

You win because of Mind MGMT.

BB

#25 Posted by Saren (25280 posts) - - Show Bio

Lot 13

The Walking Dead

Jennifer Blood

Mind MGMT

Hack/Slash

Moderator
#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Lot 13

The Walking Dead

Jennifer Blood

Mind MGMT

Hack/Slash

F*CK YEAH!

also is JB any good?

#27 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Thief of Thieves

The Manhattan Projects

The Walking Dead

#28 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon said:

@Timandm said:

The best 'non-super hero' comic I have ever read is Y - The Last Man... it has ended, but it's is an excellent read.

Yeah I agree. Its one of my all time favs have em all in hardcover on my bookshelf. Its amazing.

But yeah I read Saga (Also by BKV) which is awesome and Fatale which is fantastic. Really check out Fatale. Get the first trade its seriously one of the best damn comics out right now. Saga as well if you like crazy sci-fi. But seriously anyone not reading Saga and Fatale... I actually feel bad for them. BUY IT.

I'll check 'em both out.

#29 Posted by TheHulk (778 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Hulk own a Godzilla comic. Hulk also want to get a Ninja Turtles comic at some point.

#30 Posted by madtitan2112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

To me comics are all about the capes and cowls. I may read books not centered on supers but only within a superhero world.

#31 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5162 posts) - - Show Bio

Was reading Scalped til it ended, thinking of rereading 100 Bullets.

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91118 posts) - - Show Bio

None. With most of them i'm in and out.

Moderator
#33 Posted by Teerack (5348 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to read Punisher if that counts.

#34 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

The Walking Dead - that's all.

#35 Posted by Greenfort (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Bedlam and Hellblazer

#36 Posted by Cap10nate (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

Fatale, Saga, and Fury Max.

Read all of the Walking Dead TPB's during the Comixology sale before the tv show's season started this year. Got a little bored with it as it started getting a little repetitive.

In the past, I have read just about any non superhero story that Brubaker has written like Criminal and Sleeper which were great.

#37 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@Greenfort said:

Bedlam and Hellblazer

Bedlam is based on a supervillain... and he has a superhero counterpart as well :p

#38 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6029 posts) - - Show Bio

Walking Dead and Saga but I have been reading some really old good series- Y THE LAST MAN, DMZ, and Now started PRECHER.

#39 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading Great Pacific. I was reading Manhattan Projects but had to drop it (along with a few others) for some Marvel NOW! titles.

#40 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

There's Sweet Tooth, but I didn't really read that consistently. More like buying an awful lot of back issues and then waiting for the series to end.

Does I, Vampire count? If it doesn't, then I guess I'm not reading anything not superhero related at the moment. I'm planning to start reading Chew once I, Vampire is over, though.

Sweet Tooth already ended?
BB

#41 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Non super hero stuff I read.

Three of the four action/adventure books from archie are non super hero. Sonic, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man. New Crusaders is their only superhero book for now. I think I might branch out more and try Sabrina and Archie the married life. I never thought I would be this invested in Archie books, but they are really fun to read.

Atomic Robo is not a superhero book, but everything a superhero book should be. Its sort of like hellboy meets ironman.

Fathom is a really good book. At first glance it looks like a mindless T & A fest but it isn't. Its really well written and has a lot of depth.

I would say that Superhero stuff is really prevalent in the U.S. most likely because that's what sells well. There is a ton of great material out there, but people don't talk about them enough. Plus some non-superhero readers tend to have an air of pretentiousness about them.

#42 Posted by tgoldberg (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm currently into All Of Scrooge McDuck's Millions, reMind, and Atomic Robo.

#43 Posted by SmashBrawler (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@SmashBrawler said:

There's Sweet Tooth, but I didn't really read that consistently. More like buying an awful lot of back issues and then waiting for the series to end.

Does I, Vampire count? If it doesn't, then I guess I'm not reading anything not superhero related at the moment. I'm planning to start reading Chew once I, Vampire is over, though.

Sweet Tooth already ended?
BB

Yup, issue 40 was the last one.

#44 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Billy Batson said:

@SmashBrawler said:

There's Sweet Tooth, but I didn't really read that consistently. More like buying an awful lot of back issues and then waiting for the series to end.

Does I, Vampire count? If it doesn't, then I guess I'm not reading anything not superhero related at the moment. I'm planning to start reading Chew once I, Vampire is over, though.

Sweet Tooth already ended?
BB

Yup, issue 40 was the last one.

Yeah, I know. Misread your post and wasn't sure if you knew that it ended so never mind <_<
BB