How long can you read for in one sitting?

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FiguredOut95

I love reading both comic/graphic novels and standard novels but I find it hard to read for long durations of time no matter how much I am enjoying what I am reading? I can only read an hour max before I need to move around and do somthing else ... Does anyone else feel this way? Or can you read for hours on end without a care?

I know freinds who can read a 350 page novel in a day and not bat an eyelid, just seems wrong.

insaneTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By insaneTJ

Lately I've been having to pick up my comics every other week because of work so I'll occasionally have a stack of about 30-40 unread comics and I can get through about 13 at a time. Which usually takes me about an hour and a half.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FiguredOut95

@insaneTJ: Ws that your fist post? Yeah due to work I have a rather large stack of comics creeping up on me, I need to sit down and get up to date but the larger the stack gets the more my insperation drops.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

it depends on how into what I'm reading I am.....for the most part though I usually try to read a chapter or two in a setting

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FiguredOut95

@danhimself: Yeah same, I could not read any more.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

I can only read for about two hours at a time, then I have to start moving around a bit or I get bored.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FiguredOut95

@The_Tree: Have you ever been compelled to keep reading a book in one sitting?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

@FiguredOut95: I could but it's so hard for me to find books that interest me that I don't really want to read them to fast....I just finished the second Walking Dead novel Road to Woodbury a week ago and I haven't been able to find anything new to read since...it sucks

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I think the longest TPB I've read was Dark Victory which is 14 issues I think, and that was alright, but I read about 26 Ms. Marvel issues in one go, and that did feel a little tiring. It usually spend about 7-10 minutes per issue.

So, somewhere between 1 hour and 38 minutes and 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Depends how much free time I have.
Last summer I read 10-15 issues a day, a good amount of them were during night time in one sitting IIRC.
Gonna beat that next summer.
BB

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Comics have ruined my attention span. I can read about ten comics at a time, however actual books, I can't do more than ten pages before I get distracted (unless it's a really, really good book)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

No, wait. I've read 19-20 issues in one sitting too.
BB

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_tree

@FiguredOut95: When I was younger, I read a 300 page book in one sitting, which was about four hours. Nowadays I only read like that if I'm in a hurry and I need to get the book read for school purposes.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FiguredOut95

@The Stegman: Yeah, I can read more than that but I see where your coming from, It is so much more convinient to have the sourinding area illastated rather than described.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read Arkham Asylum: A serious House on a Serious Earth (more or less 100 pages) plus all the Gotham City Sirens issues in one day..

I feel great....not.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

If I'm reading something for school I lose interest in about 30 minutes. I can usually go about 45 minutes to an hour if I've got a stack of good comics.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By coolguyr99

I read 23 issues of Y: The Last Man in one sitting.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FiguredOut95

@coolguyr99: Never read the series hear nothing but good things about it though, I will get around to it some day.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Well not much but if I read some interesting book or a comic book that I have waited a lot for it I can read for 2 hours or even more.Last summer when I was on a vacation I read a book that was 340 pages for one day on the beach.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By coolguyr99

@FiguredOut95: The sooner the better, it is an amazing series, one of my favourites.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_tree

The most I've ever read in one sitting was 48 issues, it was the first compendium of The Walking Dead. I could not put that book down, I enjoyed it so much. That took me about three or four hours.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By BlueLantern1995

If I'm enjoying a book well enough I can finish the book in one sitting unless its like 400 pages long which I can't do.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lightsout

Entirely content-dependent. Though there's a difference between: "this is a pretty enjoyable story" and I-have-to-force-myself-to-bed-but-I'd-rather-keep-reading. The latter doesn't come around often. Invincible was like that when I got into it. (I can't remember past examples). Comics it's a bit easier to keep going because I've got the visual stimulation. With novels it's always been hard for me to find books I like to read. Nowadays I find myself reading novelizations of comics (or at least inspired by the characters). What's hard for me is just starting the reading, even if it's something I sat for a few hours (+) straight reading before. It's hard to tear myself away from my computer (where I can do a 'million' different things in one area -- it's hard to start a very specific individual activity for me).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Depends on:

- What the comic / book is

- How good it / they are.

- What mood I'm in.

- How much time i have.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danhimself

I did a few months of jail time and since there isn't anything to do in there besides watch whatever everyone else is watching on tv, play cards, sleep, or read I ended up doing tons of reading....I think I read around 6 or 7 books in a two month span

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_

It depends what I"m reading (comics, magazine, book) and where I am (car/house etc). If I'm reading a book, I can read for hours on end (I end up occasionally checking CV, twitter, Facebook, tumblr etc), but it goes pretty unbroken.

Comics, I tend to do a couple things at once. Read an issue, browse the internet for a while, read another issue etc. I'll go through trades all at once, though.

Saranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Saranth

I'm a literature student, so I find I can sit and read for pretty much any length of time. It's a learned skill, I think, to just get yourself in the zone. I managed to read the Spider-Island TPB in one sitting the other day, when I should have been reading Lolita, and that's about seventeen or eighteen issues, I think.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Saren

I once read about 40 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man in one sitting.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Veshark

Like others said, it's mostly on the content. If it's something enjoyable, I can go on and on regardless if it's a novel or a comic-book. I read all of Long Halloween's thirteen issues in one sitting and finished Dune by Frank Herbert in about three days. But if it's something that doesn't quite click with me it'll take me days and multiple sittings just to complete. China Mieville's Kraken and Grendel come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Quite a while, I once spent an entire day reading, got through the entirety of Fatal Alliance IIRC.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bogey

I can spend countless hours if I let myself get into it. I think I spent 18 hours straight when I was going through the Lucifer Morningstar books.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xxxddd

Six hours.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

@Billy Batson said:

No, wait. I've read 19-20 issues in one sitting too.
BB

No, actually I forgot about manga. It would be then about 46 chapters which is essentially the same as issues.
BB

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I've read at least 20-25 comics in a day and I've read horror novels and crime novels in 1-2 days

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By reignmaker

There have been exceptions, but generally I take a break after every 1-2 issues. I generally read comics slowly too so I can take in the art.