How is race represented in superhero films?

Annisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why are there not as many black superheroes?

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ironshinobi88

We've had this discussion several times. There have been black Superheroes movies that were successful.

They are usually the black support characters put in. Falcon and War Machine are in it so far...

Hell you can even ask why are their no Gay, Asian or Hispanic characters etc

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How many black, gay, asian and hispanic people has the main role in western movies? Most people in the west is white so much movies will feature withe people just like bollywood movies has actors, hollywood has african actors. War Machine has already appeared not in his own movie no but he did so in Iron Man 1 and 2 that is ok for a superhero that has only have two ongoings and one of them ended almost 20 years. Falcon has as far as I know never had a solo series he has had a book together with Captain America a couple of times. Do you expect Hollywood to finance such characters into movies?

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Binski

What you got Blade and Blank Man what more do ya need :p

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Constantine

The same can be said for women in superhero movies! Everyone praises how strong and great the women in Marvel movies are (which is true to a sense) but yet I still ask how come none of them have their own movie?

I always say the same thing, I think these companies need to generate new characters that fill these gaps and push them into the mainstream (rather than making human torch or nick fury black etc.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone praises how strong and great the women in Marvel movies are (which is true to a sense) but yet I still ask how come none of them have their own movie?

To date, there have been three movies released with a female superhero as the star (Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra).

They are three of the worst movies ever made.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kyrees

@xwraith: you forgot underworld. not that it sucks and not that it's not a CBM but it has a female super hero.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I always say the same thing, I think these companies need to generate new characters that fill these gaps and push them into the mainstream (rather than making human torch or nick fury black etc.)

I completely agree.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@xwraith said:

@constantine said:

Everyone praises how strong and great the women in Marvel movies are (which is true to a sense) but yet I still ask how come none of them have their own movie?

To date, there have been three movies released with a female superhero as the star (Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra).

There was also a direct to video Vampriella movie made in 1996, but I haven't seen it.

There was a Tank Girl movie too - it failed at the box office (though I maintain its a wonderful cheesy movie)

Neither I'd hang my hat on though. And people wonder why Marvel and DC don't want to write a 200m check willy nilly

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@annisa_ said:

Under-representation is rampant across comic books generally and films generally so it's not unexpected, although still disappointing. Even so, there are lots of opportunities for films. Some of my most-wanted below.

DC:

Marvel:

Lots of other great options but even this list feels long for a "top picks" so I'll eave it off there.

EDIT: Wait, a Storm solo or spin-off team (e.g., Morlocks, Uncanny X-Force) seems like a no-brainer and should be included.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 juiceboks  Moderator

@fodigg What, no love for T'Challa?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@annisa_ said:

Because Black heroes often don't sell.

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Constantine

@xwraith said:

@constantine said:

haha I really don't even count them, that's how bad they are. But is this you trying to say because of those we shouldn't make female super films? Cause supergirl was made in the eighties which wasn't exactly a prime time for hero films, Catwoman isn't even the same character in the comics and elektra was done in the same way as daredevil which was just sh#t itself.

On top of which there is now a whole new way Marvel are manufacturing their movies and I don't see why they can't add Black Widow to their or many other names.

(If you were just making a simple statement i agree they're rubbish but my point still stands)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

@juiceboks said:

@fodigg What, no love for T'Challa?

I don't know how to do a T'Challa film right because I don't know how to get Wakanda right. I would love, however, to see it. I liked the Black Panther cartoon/motion comic thingy they did but I know that, and the source material, was controversial for various reasons. (Not that controversy is a bad thing, necessarily.) And is it wrong that I like Shuri more than T'Challa?

I'd actually be more excited to see a David Zavimbe Batwing/Batman Inc. film featuring the Kingdom to be honest. I know that's unfair to the long history of T'Challa, but I loved that original Batwing run and I hope Zavimbe comes back.

Oh man, and speaking of original runs of new 52 books that were awesome, the first four or five issues of Voodoowith that original creative team blew me away. Then that character got the bum-rush to reintroduce the "real" Voodoo (i.e., the pre-new52 Voodoo) and I lost interest.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juiceboks  Moderator

@fodigg I agree, a Black Panther would be pretty difficult to do right. Casting, bringing out the essence of the character and his country with the right cinematic elements, and overall making sure not to make him seem like a "Black Batman". The series they had on BET was pretty good, though for obvious reasons they "had" to discontinue it. I don't recall that much about Shuri past the whole Doomwar thing, so I'd say yes :P

A Batwing movie would be cool, but again they'd have to take extra care in establishing him as not a colored Batman knockoff as I'd imagine most people ignorant of his character would label him as. Focusing on that particular arc though should allow for a good way to accomplish that.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg I agree, a Black Panther would be pretty difficult to do right. Casting, bringing out the essence of the character and his country with the right cinematic elements, and overall making sure not to make him seem like a "Black Batman". The series they had on BET was pretty good, though for obvious reasons they "had" to discontinue it. I don't recall that much about Shuri past the whole Doomwar thing, so I'd say yes :P

A Batwing movie would be cool, but again they'd have to take extra care in establishing him as not a colored Batman knockoff as I'd imagine most people ignorant of his character would label him as. Focusing on that particular arc though should allow for a good way to accomplish that.

They should just do an adaptation of Doomwar. That would kick all sorts of ass.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juiceboks  Moderator

@fodigg said:

@juiceboks said:

They should just do an adaptation of Doomwar. That would kick all sorts of ass.

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
KaijuKingGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaijuKingGojira

Black guys are usually hardcore thugish bada**es in superhero movies.