Edited By Vega8282

In your own words

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's a pretty broad question, but I'd say that from when most superhero comics began to now, artists are more focused on realism & attention to detail than they were back then. I don't mean any disrespect to the classics, just that back then they had to churn out way more product to make a living than they do today. So if you're rushing through something has to suffer.

Appearance wise, most superheroes are more muscular and larger than they were back then. Also nowdays characters are more easily distinguished from one another, there's less of the hero having to have their initials emblazoned on their chest so we know who they are.

If you mean the image of characters in the mainstream- I'd say that comics themselves are more widely accepted. They've mostly gotten rid of the "kid's books" preconceptions that people used to have. With the Marvel cinematic universe juggernaut rolling along, comic movies are in the public eye instead of a niche market.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

That's a pretty broad question, but I'd say that from when most superhero comics began to now, artists are more focused on realism & attention to detail than they were back then. I don't mean any disrespect to the classics, just that back then they had to churn out way more product to make a living than they do today. So if you're rushing through something has to suffer.

Appearance wise, most superheroes are more muscular and larger than they were back then. Also nowdays characters are more easily distinguished from one another, there's less of the hero having to have their initials emblazoned on their chest so we know who they are.

If you mean the image of characters in the mainstream- I'd say that comics themselves are more widely accepted. They've mostly gotten rid of the "kid's books" preconceptions that people used to have. With the Marvel cinematic universe juggernaut rolling along, comic movies are in the public eye instead of a niche market.

I agree with this, except for the muscular part. Modern superheroes are not nearly as muscular as they were in the 90s, when everybody looked like a tank.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

A lot, just look.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@jedixman said:

I agree with this, except for the muscular part. Modern superheroes are not nearly as muscular as they were in the 90s, when everybody looked like a tank.

I think that characters have become not necessarily more muscular but more toned. As you said in the 90's they were built like tanks kind of like the 90's action movie heros etc... Whereas now most of them are packing the lean, muscular Spider-man-type build rather than buffed out hulks.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

I think that characters have become not necessarily more muscular but more toned. As you said in the 90's they were built like tanks kind of like the 90's action movie heros etc... Whereas now most of them are packing the lean, muscular Spider-man-type build rather than buffed out hulks.

That's fair. I agree that it is a more realistic look, and the era is more about realism while still staying true to the fantastical aspects.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jedixman:

They've definitely shrunk everyone down from the 90's, but they needed more bulk to carry the extra eight of shoulder pads, pouches and mega-hair!

I was referring to the very beginning of comics, scrawny Peter Parker when he first came on the scene was still pretty skinny when he got his powers.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

I was referring to the very beginning of comics, scrawny Peter Parker when he first came on the scene was still pretty skinny when he got his powers.

Fair enough.