Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Hello!

Recently I have decided to read a lot more indie books, and a name that caught my eye was The Manhattan Projects. Before I buy the trades I want to be aware if it is any good? So help, please.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon

@thefirstlantern: It's strange, but great..... Pick up the first trade, and see what you think.....

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I read the first two trades and they were alright. Most seem to like the series, though.

You can read the first issue for free on comixology.

BB

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's....an acquired taste, that's all I can say. It's like any of Hickman's sci-fi stories but with uh...all the heart and likeable characters sucked out of it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

It's....an acquired taste, that's all I can say. It's like any of Hickman's sci-fi stories but with uh...all the heart and likeable characters sucked out of it.

Well it's Not Like Hulk, Cap, Thor and any other characters are anything other than props hickman uses in Avengers. Seriously, Thor and Hyperion had ONE moment and that was about it.

I was thinking more of his F4 run really, which had a decent focus on characterization and fully-forming several characters into likeable ones (all the kids, basically).

Avengers as a whole has a more 'big-picture' focus, but I do agree with your sentiment that there's a lot less focus on the characters there. It's a little better in New Avengers though. Hickman writes the best BP since Christopher Priest.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@theacidskull said:

@veshark said:

Well it's Not Like Hulk, Cap, Thor and any other characters are anything other than props hickman uses in Avengers. Seriously, Thor and Hyperion had ONE moment and that was about it.

I was thinking more of his F4 run really, which had a decent focus on characterization and fully-forming several characters into likeable ones (all the kids, basically).

Avengers as a whole has a more 'big-picture' focus, but I do agree with your sentiment that there's a lot less focus on the characters there. It's a little better in New Avengers though. Hickman writes the best BP since Christopher Priest.

i dropped both unfortunately :/ i don't know if new avengers is a good title, but i haven't enjoyed avengers ONE bit so yeah. :/ the best thing about Team books it how they interact, that's shy i loved avengers academy, Runaways, etc.

I'd pick up New Avengers in trade, it's got some pretty solid character work and a very entertaining story.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Veshark

@veshark: my problems with The Book are a but different than what i have with the avengers :/

Not to derail the entire thread off-topic, but why?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Veshark

@veshark said:

@theacidskull said:

@veshark: my problems with The Book are a but different than what i have with the avengers :/

well for one thing, the new avengers aren't new avengers, they are the Illuminati.

and the BIGGEST reason is that these heroes, aside from captain america(thanks God) are acting like Gods and Pass judgement on other Planets. I can Expect this type of Behaviour from Iron Man, But Dr Strange? Reed Richards? Black Panther? Black Bolt( black Bolt shouldn't even be here, he never gave a shit about earth until bendis decided that he did)?

Not my cup of tee :(

Well I think the title 'New Avengers' is more of a label, because the two books are closely related.

And I think you might be misinterpreting the story. The Illuminati aren't acting like gods and passing judgment on other planets - they're not doing it willingly. They're doing it out of desperation, because there's too much hanging in the balance. Iron Man, Richards, Black Panther - they are all 'big-picture thinkers'. They can count the variables and calculate the future and know that there is no other option.

And remember, they did try using the Infinity Gauntlet first, but when that was destroyed, they had no choice. And of course Black Bolt would be concerned - it isn't just Earth's that's threatened, the entire universe gets destroyed in an Incursion. Plus, don't forget that Black Bolt is, by a definition, an Earthling. He may be Inhuman, but his home planet has always been the Earth. Of course he would care about it.

I can understand why some might not like the plot though. It's a dark story that shows Marvel's most powerful men making some of the most costly decisions against threats that we can barely even comprehend. It's the contrast to the more optimistic Avengers.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Veshark

@veshark said:

@theacidskull said:

@veshark said:

@theacidskull said:

well for one thing, the new avengers aren't new avengers, they are the Illuminati.

and the BIGGEST reason is that these heroes, aside from captain america(thanks God) are acting like Gods and Pass judgement on other Planets. I can Expect this type of Behaviour from Iron Man, But Dr Strange? Reed Richards? Black Panther? Black Bolt( black Bolt shouldn't even be here, he never gave a shit about earth until bendis decided that he did)?

Not my cup of tee :(

Well I think the title 'New Avengers' is more of a label, because the two books are closely related.

And I think you might be misinterpreting the story. The Illuminati aren't acting like gods and passing judgment on other planets - they're not doing it willingly. They're doing it out of desperation, because there's too much hanging in the balance. Iron Man, Richards, Black Panther - they are all 'big-picture thinkers'. They can count the variables and calculate the future and know that there is no other option.

And remember, they did try using the Infinity Gauntlet first, but when that was destroyed, they had no choice. And of course Black Bolt would be concerned - it isn't just Earth's that's threatened, the entire universe gets destroyed in an Incursion. Plus, don't forget that Black Bolt is, by a definition, an Earthling. He may be Inhuman, but his home planet has always been the Earth. Of course he would care about it.

I can understand why some might not like the plot though. It's a dark story that shows Marvel's most powerful men making some of the most costly decisions against threats that we can barely even comprehend. It's the contrast to the more optimistic Avengers.

I'm Not saying that it doesn't Make sense.

But in cases Like These, i'd Be MUCH cooler if they came to a more logical and safer conclusion. It;s not that i don't UNDERSTAND what's going on, it's the fact that Hickman wrote them in such a position that is angering me.

To each his own, I suppose.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

To each his own, I suppose.

^_^

but yeah i'm really on the edge with most Marvel titles now :/

Mm yeah, even the Ultimate Marvel U's been pretty dry lately :I