#1 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

does anybody know??

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Faster than light.

#3 Posted by G-Man (31838 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about faster than light. I think Supes is just under that and just under Flash. I think I saw somewhere that they can go like 4 times the speed of sound. So somewhere around 3000mph?

Anyhoo...maybe some answers can be found here: http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/races.html

Staff
#4 Posted by Shatterstar (4539 posts) - - Show Bio

Faster than a speeding bullet

#5 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't sure if I was right, I just went with faster than light because I've seen him go from Earth to the sun in seconds, when it takes light minutes to go the same distance.

#6 Posted by G-Man (31838 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's written in stone. Flash and Supes seemed to alternate as to who was faster. It seems that DC has decided that Flash is just slightly faster, which makes sense. Speed force and all.

Staff
#7 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

didnt superman fly to saturn in 4 min when he was pissed because lex became president and it takes light 17 min

#8 Posted by Zantin (82 posts) - - Show Bio

The usual answer to this is Fast enough.

#9 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

He's faster than light, four times faster than sound(you were right G-Man). Still not quite as fast as Flash though.

#10 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Four times the speed of sound (under normal atmospheric conditions) is not even close to the speed of light (in a vacuum). Sound travels at about 340 metres per second (770 mph) compared to light at 299,792,548 m/s (670,616,629 mph). Superman's speed has fluctuated over the years, but I would say he is a little slower than light (and the Flash) most of the time.

#11 Posted by G-Man (31838 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question should be, what would happen if Superman were flying at light speed and was carrying a flashlight and turned it on.

Staff
#12 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#13 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way you think.

#14 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman flies fast enough to fly around the world, reversing it's rotation causing time to move backwards.... something seems a little off in that logic.....

#15 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't he like right at light speed or just a little slower?

#16 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

speed says:

"didnt superman fly to saturn in 4 min when he was pissed because lex became president and it takes light 17 min"

I think you and I discussed this at length and decided that the answer was more than likely ambigious.

It takes light 17 minutes to get there from the SUN, not from Earth.

#17 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Satyrquaze says:

"speed says:
"didnt superman fly to saturn in 4 min when he was pissed because lex became president and it takes light 17 min"
I think you and I discussed this at length and decided that the answer was more than likely ambigious. It takes light 17 minutes to get there from the SUN, not from Earth."

Your icon rocks

#18 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that comics consistently follow the laws of physics (duh, they're comics), the fact remains that Superman MUST have the ability to travel at FTL velocities since he is capable of interstellar travel. How he could possibly accomplish this with out leaving the confines of the 4D time-space continuum has yet to be explained.

#19 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Prodigious Man says:

"Not that comics consistently follow the laws of physics (duh, they're comics), the fact remains that Superman **MUST** have the ability to travel at FTL velocities since he is capable of interstellar travel. How he could possibly accomplish this with out leaving the confines of the 4D time-space continuum has yet to be explained."

Yeah I agree. He has to be able to access hyperspace and travel faster than light.

#20 Posted by Octagon Freak (11158 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Prodigious Man says:
"Not that comics consistently follow the laws of physics (duh, they're comics), the fact remains that Superman **MUST** have the ability to travel at FTL velocities since he is capable of interstellar travel. How he could possibly accomplish this with out leaving the confines of the 4D time-space continuum has yet to be explained."
Yeah I agree. He has to be able to access hyperspace and travel faster than light."

Maybe he ate beans for supper, and had a butt rocket boost.

#21 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Up to 4 mph

#22 Posted by Knifes (17 posts) - - Show Bio

i like your way of thought.

#23 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast enough to toss Logan and the Hulk into the sun.

#24 Posted by wwhulk1 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

He can fly just under the speed of light he and flash have race couple of time he just a tad slower any faster then he could go back and forth in time like flash.....via speed force. wwhulk1

#25 Posted by wwhulk1 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice very nice.what can hurt hulk?nothin he now can with stand fire vacum of space tripled in strenth lol,they killed his wife and unborn child well i feel sorry for richards,iron,and strange lol...did u see what he did to black bolt..awasome.

#26 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone tell me how Superman maintains his Super powers when he's not near Earths' yellow sun?

#27 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by nox007 (1 posts) - - Show Bio
@g_man said:

The real question should be, what would happen if Superman were flying at light speed and was carrying a flashlight and turned it on.

Do u take physics? just asking, coz if u do then what i will say will be easy for u to understand. If we look at the time dilation equation, if something is travelling at the speed of light which really is the maximum speed limit of our universe then the time will stop coz the equation is

http://www.salamandersociety.com/spacedoctrine/050318mathew_time_dilation.gif

so when v=c than the ration of v^2/c^2 will be 1, and then 1-1=0 which means there will be infinite time dilation and time will actually stop, so if he turns a flash light on then the light wont even travel through space time from the reference of superman for us we will be able to see the light easily but for superman everything will stop.

#29 Posted by New_World_Order (12949 posts) - - Show Bio

Faster than it takes Dragon Ball Z characters to power up.

#30 Edited by jcolletto (131 posts) - - Show Bio

A few reasons why Superman traveling at the speed of light is bad writing and an impossible feat for this superhero!

Only light or energy particles can travel at the speed of light which is 186,282 miles per second. Anything solid that traveled at this speed will collide with other solid particles(even dust) causing a super explosion that would destroy the solar system like a mini big bang. Not to mention traveling anywhere near this speed close to earth would destroy our atmosphere.

So neither Flash or superman could travel anywhere near this speed without killing themselves or destroying our entire solar system. It is simple bad bad writing for anyone to claim this simply to boast about their superhero and pure idiocy for readers to believe it! DC is prone to making fantastical claims about there superhero's that vastly vary from comic to comic with little to no description as to how that could be possible.

Marvel while often doing the same thing are much more concise and accurate to the power lvls of the heroes, and seem to be in greater touch with science, plausibility, and a little thing we call reality.

#31 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

As fast as the plot needs him to.

Stop with the physics, guys... I know I sometimes go on rants about it (and I apologize for that) but it is evident that writers don't do even a tiny bit of reasearch on first grade science. It's like trying to find logic in a story told by a three year old.

So faster that one meter per hour.

#32 Edited by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@jcolletto: bad writing ? so it's bad writing that he's not human, powered by yellow star radiation, can punch a planet to pieces and fly in outer space ? how about thor, green lantern, jean grey, professor xavier or every other superbeings in comics ? do you want to nitpick every abilities comic heroes has because you are basically saying that it's bad writing that there's a whole lot of non realistic stuff happening in comics ? do you even understand the point of what you are implying ? leave the realism out of the door when you read the comics, will ya.

also

#33 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: his point is one I often consider myself. Of course one drops it because it's comic books, but it also makes some sense. Consider this.

Green lantern has a ring with a technology that is completely outside of our comprehension. It's part of the premise, so we accept it, like in any science fiction.

Superman is an alien whose physiology is unique. It's the premise, so he can fly, is super strong and can shoot beams out of his eyes. We can accept it because it's the premise.

But travelling at the speed of light is something of which we know the consequences. It would cause a massive time-space local distortion and the annihilation of matter in that spot, with an energy release that would be catastrophic.
Now, if the premise was that Superman travels faster than light without actually traveling, but like teleporting or distorting space-time, then we may accept it.

I don't know if I was clear enough.

Mind you, I'm not saying that it is bad writing. I, like you, think that in superhero comics actual science should be left out the door. But there is a substantial difference between creating something sci-fi that does great stuff, and another to ignore laws that are there without an actual justification.

Still, it is comic books, so who cares! :)

#34 Edited by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: how does superman fly in outer space ? that alone has enough removed realism that travelling FTL is overshadowed.

#35 Edited by Russcovito (116 posts) - - Show Bio

#36 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: I don't get it. Is the question "how does he fly inside the atmosphere" any easier?

#37 Posted by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: no, it isn't. unassisted flight in real life is unexplainable. relate it to superman and that's realism thrown out the window

#38 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol can superman fly to Jupiter in less then an hour? Or to Proxima Centauri in less then 4 years?

If so he can fly fast then light

Interestingly I see this as the biggest difference between superman and silver surfer and Thor, where the later two have cosmic powers and can hop around the galaxy as they wish, but superman I always imagine as being stuck in our solar system... Even new krypton is only 1AU from our sun, so in a way superman is more realistic. But then Marvel has whole races of space bearing people...

#39 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: yeah I know that. I'm not arguing here. I was just asking why you're pointing out specifically outer space flight. Is there a plausible explaination for him flying inside the atmosphere?

#40 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrquaze: that's wrong anyway it takes 4 mins 30 secs from the sun to 1AU (Earth) around 45 mins to juipiter and around an hour and a half to Saturn, it's over 4 hours to Neptune then things start to get crazy as the scales between the sun and the edge of our solar system is huge and between stars is extream... :/

#41 Posted by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: i pointed out outer space flight because there's a lot less explainable factors to go about there compared to atmospheric flight. i even remember luthor saying because krypton has lesser gravity than earth, kal can practically fly. however, there is no generally acceptable reason on how he can fly. there are canon reason (i,e him manipulating certain types of atoms etc) to non-canon reasons (i,e like luthor's theory)

#42 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: yeah, it all sounds very much implausible. But I agree with you, in general, that if you have to read superheroes in this light you miss the fun. If we wanted actual science we would read an essay, right? ;)

I don't think I was clear in stating my point but it's not so important.

#43 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: hehe there are no atoms in space, I'd like to see the explanations... Also why does he have to be able to fly in space, rockets basically jump from Earth to the moon, I earth to Marths or in the case of Rosetta. Earth to a comet, as long as he does the maths he wouldn't need to be able to produce constant thrust in space, just jump with more then escape velocity in the right direction.

#44 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: hehe there are no atoms in space, I'd like to see the explanations... Also why does he have to be able to fly in space, rockets basically jump from Earth to the moon, I earth to Marths or in the case of Rosetta. Earth to a comet, as long as he does the maths he wouldn't need to be able to produce constant thrust in space, just jump with more then escape velocity in the right direction.

Are you suggesting that Superman flies in space from inertia? We see him hitting stuff and changing direction all the time. Also, we see him accellerating.

#45 Edited by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@hillbillymorangie: space is filled with "atoms". x-rays and cosmic rays coming from nearby stars populate it. there's also tachyons, neutrinos and other stuff that passes through earth so easily. space isn't completely empty as most people believe.

supes doesn't do those jumps in space. he basically flies in it like he does in earth. i don't remember him using a planet's gravity to slingshot him to anywhere

#46 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: sadly not true, it's not nothing, but it's mostly nothing, you can state mass less particles are 'atoms' if you like, but it doesn't make it true. Anyway, I do find superman accelerating in space a bit of a joke without exposition but that's probably why I prefer Marvel, he could punch things in space and not change where he is going, I fact the fact he can punch it suggests it's going in e same direction as he is... But he would need to work out how it will effect his destination. A story where superman is stuck in space would be brilliant, I'd enjoy that more then a superman vs story anytime.

#47 Edited by kyrees (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@hillbillymorangie: marvel also does the same mistake. gladiator, one of marvel version of superman, does it at some point.

#48 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

And there we go...

#49 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: not what I meant lol, I like exposition, I love the long talking bits in fantastic four or ant man or the latest hulk, I like science and technology, I like Star Trek over Star Wars for the same reason, I could read a whole comic or watch a whole sci fi show where there isn't a single fight... They just say, look at this new technology it works by... I know some people just like the fights, but for me they are the boring bits lol

#50 Edited by New_World_Order (12949 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

As fast as the plot needs him to.

Stop with the physics, guys... I know I sometimes go on rants about it (and I apologize for that) but it is evident that writers don't do even a tiny bit of reasearch on first grade science. It's like trying to find logic in a story told by a three year old.

@thundergodswrath said:

So faster that one meter per hour.

Heh