How does one become a comic book writer?

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mrtrickster

Do they need to have a college degree in writing? Or are they just comic book fans?

How does the comic book company pick the writers? What're the standards?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

I wondered the same thing awhile ago, and I found this informative video.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Loki9876

anybody wants to be my artist for my webcomic lol

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg

If you want to write for comics, you have to be prepared to make Indy comics, possibly for years, without pay, and hope to get noticed and welcomed into the ground floor. Webcomics are also an option, but right or wrong, most publishers look to print.

But portfolios and scripts are useless. For prospective writers they want to see finished products.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

You've gotta have something published.

Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

That vid is pretty cool.

But yeah seems with everything that you have to have material and get it published in some format, online, local comic book store stands and then start hounding companies.

Long haul work like everything creative

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@fodigg said:

If you want to write for comics, you have to be prepared to make Indy comics, possibly for years, without pay, and hope to get noticed and welcomed into the ground floor. Webcomics are also an option, but right or wrong, most publishers look to print.

But portfolios and scripts are useless. For prospective writers they want to see finished products.

This and tons of natural talent.

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrtrickster
@fodigg said:

can a novel writer or a screenwriter become a comic writer? or are there any specific skills comic writers have to learn?
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fodigg

@mrtrickster said:

@fodigg said:

can a novel writer or a screenwriter become a comic writer? or are there any specific skills comic writers have to learn?

Writers of any profession need to be able to operate in different voices for different audiences. This means difference not only of tone and style, but of basic fundamental structure. A poem is not a novella, is not a screenplay, is not an office memo, is not a text message. This is what 90% of any formal writing/English education boils down to--knowing what your audience demands and meeting or exceeding those expectations in a punctual manner. In the academic setting, this often included a hypothetical audience for the course (e.g., "English 001" is different from "Writing For the Professions," is different from "Creative Writing"), but that's usually just defined by your teacher or whatever TA is grading your paper. When students would come into my writing center the first questions I asked were always:

• Who is your teacher?
  • What's the assignment?
  • What comments have they made on past papers?
  • What style guide do they use (e.g., MLA, Chicago, APA)?
  • Do they accept early submissions so you can do rewrites? (if they do, always submit early for guaranteed higher grade)

This might seem mercenary because you're not considering artistic directions, but I'd argue you should worry about grand artistry after you've broken in with good fundamentals and persistence.

Now, I'm not a comic book writer, I'm not even an aspiring comic book writer (aspiring novelist maybe but who isn't?), but my suggestion would be to get your hands on professional scripts. There are a number of books out there that have shown what a script by Bendis or Morrison or whoever looks like. Learn to put your scripts together in a professional format and then try drawing those scripts with stick figures and chat bubbles to keep yourself honest.

Beyond that, the fate of your final product is entirely in the hands of your artist. If you've got the cash it might even be worth it to pay a commission to a professional to complete some of your projects (look at it as if you were paying a consultant to help with your resume) or find a fellow amateur who can draw who is willing to throw their lot in with yours.

Once you have a product you can show, pay for a booth at a local comic book convention and put that book in the hands of every publisher you can. That book is your business card (and should have all your contact info on it). A good buddy of mine is going through this process now with his Indy book BEEF JAMS, which he describes as:

@davelandsberger BEEF JAMS, my first comic work comes out today in Hoax Hunters #3! Its about a cheeseburger that plays basketball. Typical formulaic stuff.

Hoax Hunters is an Image title and he's got his 2-page backup in there for everyone to see.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle  Online

There is numerous ways....luck and being in the right place and the right time seems to be effective....Bruce Timm was a comic artist who got a job with DC and then took over the animation department eventually.....I would say luck overall. As a graphic artist I can tell you it pays to know people as well

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By xxxddd

1. College

2. Go to comicbook conventions

3. Publish to EVERY company(both major and minor)

4. Wait to get approved

5. Go from there

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fodigg

Gail Simone posted a long blog about how to break into comics, and I figured I should post it since she argues the opposite of what I suggested. She's with me on completed projects (no scripts, no fanfics), but recommends using the internet over print:

Make a PLAN. I return to Nicola Scott. Nicola is a top artist now, but she did it the hard way. She lives several continents away from where the comics industry is based. She knew no one in comics. She had no real resume. And she scrimped and saved to fly from Australia every year to go to SDCC to spend a few precious minutes with an editor during a portfolio review. And she got rejected several times. And every time she went back and did her portfolio OVER.
Even with all of that, it was a Wonder Woman pin-up she put on a message board that ultimately got my, Greg Rucka’s, and Mike Carlin’s attention. And that got her hired. One way was expensive, traditional and not supremely effective. The other cost her some time and an internet connection. I’m simplifying, but time and again we are seeing people get work because of things they’ve done on the net.
People give me comics at every con I go to, mini-comics and self-printed things all the way up to expensive graphic novels they’ve printed themselves. I can’t bear to throw them away so I stack them in a stack and try to read them, but I’ve spoken with several editors who just throw them away. It’s a shot, but it’s still a tough way to go.
If I were trying to break in now, I would forego the editorial line entirely. Do a webcomic, do a tumlbr, follow editors and creators on Twitter and facebook. Show your best pieces. GET ATTENTION. Make them WANT to look. Don’t spam or harass these people. But get your work seen.

I think a printed Indy mini-comic is still the best business card you can have, but the above is an argument for scanning it, posting it on the internet, and circulating it via torrent sites to get eyes on it. At least, until a publisher is willing to print you.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@mrtrickster said:

Do they need to have a college degree in writing? Or are they just comic book fans? How does the comic book company pick the writers? What're the standards?

Education and fandom aren't important.

If you're talking specifically about Marvel and DC, there's a few things they're looking for.

1. Are you writing already, and does your work sell?

2. Can you produce consistent work on a tight schedule and work with editorial?

3. Are you bringing something unique and valuable to the table?

Essentially, in order to become a comic writer for the Big 2, you already need to be producing a comic, or be a major novelist. If you have ideas you want to develop, write it on your own and look for an artist to partner with and self publish or pitch the idea to an indie company like Image.

Most of the big guys out there these days began this way.

TheDudeMcDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@loki9876: Depends if my art sparks your interest. Here's my deviantart page:

http://thedudemcdude.deviantart.com/

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best way is to team up with an artist and produce your own stuff, make a big enough splash and you'll get noticed.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I'd imagine you have to work your way up. Take Stan Lee, for example. He started as the guy who swept up the studio and made everyone sandwiches.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18 JediXMan  Moderator

Have friends in the industry.

Empurios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I might start sending out some query letters.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sinikettu

Indeed, start publishing a web comics with someone who can draw better than you... You can put that web comic into print form easily enough once somebody actually asks for it.

There are probably dozens of DIY-help guides for writing books, comics and movie scripts which can explain and educate on the process far better than anyone here at CV can be arsed to do.

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

^^^^

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jedixman said:

This, So much this

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zemoftw said:

Bump

you know... this thread is over 5 years old by now... and before you bumped it had been dead and buried for two.

And now I'm wondering if any of the OP's who sparked this thread ever made it far enough to get into business of writing and/or drawing comics?