Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: How do you read your comics, Printed or Digital? (38 votes)

Printed 55%
Digital 21%
Doesn't Matter/Both 24%

I personally read my comics in both versions, but I find myself reading digital more because I am a younger reader and I sometimes can't find the older issues in printed. Printed is awesome to me because I just get that feel of actually reading a comic, let me know guys!

#1 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@techwarrior

I prefer print myself. There more fun to read, and collecting them is allot more fulfilling.

Oh, and welcome to Comic Vine! :)

#2 Posted by Techwarrior (30 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6291 posts) - - Show Bio

I read my comics on the Comixology digital app, in which the format is great on my ipad. I do like printed more, but I am mostly a DC fan and all their comics are discounted at $1 off if you wait a month on the app.

#4 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

@techwarrior:

No problem.

I'ts kind off my unofficial appointed job. :)

#5 Edited by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

I mostly read and prefer printed versions as it is physical and I can be sure (as long as the don't get stolen and are kept well) I can read them in 10 and 20 years. This is not the case with digital since the service can be put down, the internet is gone or whatever. It also just feels more right. I have tried to get hold of some digital comics, but they haven't got the issue I wanted.

#6 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6266 posts) - - Show Bio

Print. I don't wish to ever go digital.

#7 Posted by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

Print, nothing beats going to your local comic shop and picking up your pull list.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6266 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: If more and more people go digital, it seems possible that this could lead to comic books shops going out of business, as if less people are buying them in print, less money is being spent in shops, the shops make less money, and they struggle to pay the rent.

I like comic book shops, so I don't want to support an idea that could potentially wipe them out.

#10 Edited by Vhyra (41 posts) - - Show Bio

SUPER SHOCKED that printed is taking the lead in this, to be honest! Wouldn't have guessed that.

I absolutely adore and prefer printed. There is something awesome about turning actual pages, holding the art and being able to look in real close at the art and all of its details ('zooming' in and 'pinch to zoom' just don't do it for me, bums me out). Plus I love being able to decorate my house in my favorite comic books.

I will say though, if I'm unsure about whether or not I want to take a plunge into some TPBs, I'll buy the first issue digitally just for a quick check out. Other than that, I can't seem to make the switch to digital. Printed is just far more satisfying.

I can't help but worry about my apartment space one day though....

#11 Posted by krunkeela (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Print, because if the world ended, I would still have entertainment. :P

#12 Edited by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

I purchase trades of my favourite story arcs and whatnot, but I opt for Digital for new releases that I'm too impatient to wait for, or if theres a super cheap story arc / crazy sales. For example, I'm eagerly waiting for the Before Watchmen trades (blasphemy to some, but exciting nonetheless) as well as Saga.

#13 Posted by XImpossibruX (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

I like my comics printed.

But if I came across a really bad series that I just need to read for progression in the story (AvX) then i'll download it digitally.

#14 Posted by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

Print, because if the world ended, I would still have entertainment. :P

Nope you wouldn't. You would be dead like everybody else.

@vhyra said:

SUPER SHOCKED that printed is taking the lead in this, to be honest! Wouldn't have guessed that.

I absolutely adore and prefer printed. There is something awesome about turning actual pages, holding the art and being able to look in real close at the art and all of its details ('zooming' in and 'pinch to zoom' just don't do it for me, bums me out). Plus I love being able to decorate my house in my favorite comic books.

I will say though, if I'm unsure about whether or not I want to take a plunge into some TPBs, I'll buy the first issue digitally just for a quick check out. Other than that, I can't seem to make the switch to digital. Printed is just far more satisfying.

I can't help but worry about my apartment space one day though....

Comics is still primarily should in print, so it isn't weird.

@tupiaz:

If more and more people go digital, it seems possible that this could lead to comic books shops going out of business, as if less people are buying them in print, less money is being spent in shops, the shops make less money, and they struggle to pay the rent.

I like comic book shops, so I don't want to support an idea that could potentially wipe them out.

I really don't get the whole support you LCS. They are a company that wants to earn money no different from selling comics online (ordering printed versions). Only difference is you getting it cheaper. The LCS is there because of you, you are not there because of it.

#15 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

You lose the comic book feeling with digital comics.

#16 Posted by HumanRocket (7866 posts) - - Show Bio

I really prefer them in digital form becuz when I go on long trips to long days at school I can just go on my marvel app and read them there so it's really useful. But I will go to local shops and find anything good in the $1 bins. I like getting sales on comics so that's also a factor in what I will buy.

#17 Edited by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to do print in the 90s but today its digital. Mainly due to space and convenience. Only one local shop, that's not very good, and I don't have the room for long boxes anymore. I actually prefer digital now, a coworker brought in a couple print comics, and I just didn't feel them anymore. Its good to see that print is winning the majority, it validates the article from Vegas Con I posted about in my blog.

#18 Posted by Cap10nate (2251 posts) - - Show Bio

Mostly digital for me. I like having everything in my grasp and not cluttering up the place. I do buy print for a couple series which the panel layout is not conducive for the digital format. I also buy some collections if it is cheaper than digital. I bought the whole Swamp Thing run by Moore, Busieks Avengers, and Brubakers Cap omnibuses.

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6266 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@tupiaz:

If more and more people go digital, it seems possible that this could lead to comic books shops going out of business, as if less people are buying them in print, less money is being spent in shops, the shops make less money, and they struggle to pay the rent.

I really don't get the whole support you LCS. They are a company that wants to earn money no different from selling comics online (ordering printed versions). Only difference is you getting it cheaper. The LCS is there because of you, you are not there because of it.

I think people like me like to browse and see the comics in real life. And as I said, supporting a shop supports printed comics.

#20 Posted by Wolverine08 (41312 posts) - - Show Bio

Print. NEVER going to digital. It is pure rapture holding a real comic book in your hand.

#21 Posted by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people like me like to browse and see the comics in real life. And as I said, supporting a shop supports printed comics.

No. You can buy printed comics online as well. buying printed comics supporting printed comics. Doesn't matter if you buy them in LCS or online.

#22 Posted by Techwarrior (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Eventually we'll have to digital, but I agree printed is better to read, it just has that feel you would expect. Digital is just sometimes easier to get for me, because I don't live near a comic store!

#23 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6266 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: O.K., but it's nice to support real shops so that there's somewhere to go and buy them physically. When I order online, it's mostly from actual shops that also sell on Ebay, so if I can't get to a shop close to me(not local enough to get to every week), at least I can support a real shop somewhere else.

#24 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked print, even though I will read digital to check out back issues and stuff or to try out new titles I haven't read yet if there's sales.

I like having a physical copy that I can hold and collect. Digital copies aren't even technically owned by you in some cases. You are just granted viewership in some cases and I like to own what I buy.

#25 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

Also thought I'd mention when it comes to digital and your local shop, Comixolgy now allows comic shops to setup an affiliate store linked to you LCS website. Not only allows you to create pull lists for them, but also allows sales of digital they get a % of. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, and if your local shop doesn't know about it they might want to look it up.

#26 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 100% print as of right now, for several reasons. I enjoy the comic shop experience. I like going in every month and checking out the new posters, figures, toys, etc. I like talking to the employees and fellow patrons about the latest happenings in the comic world, death battles, stuff like that. I also collect vinyl records, and part of why these two things are my hobbies is because the local store experience. I also like the physical comic book way better. Its how comics were supposed to be read. Zooming in and stuff like that on digital comics kind of kills the mood so to speak. Digital rights are also a concern of mine. What if comixology goes under? What if Marvel ceases their digital app in favor of another?

That being said, if I ever get a tablet i'll probably get into digital a little. I'll still probably do print for like 90% of my comics but if I want to check out a comic i'm on the fence about or want to get some really cheap back issues i'll get them digitally.

#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

I read print. I'd prefer to read digital, but as long as you don't actually own a copy of the file, it won't be something that I partake in.

@wmwadeii said:

Also thought I'd mention when it comes to digital and your local shop, Comixolgy now allows comic shops to setup an affiliate store linked to you LCS website. Not only allows you to create pull lists for them, but also allows sales of digital they get a % of. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, and if your local shop doesn't know about it they might want to look it up.

This is a really good point that soooooo many people unfortunately don't know about. There is a way to support shops and still buy digital.

#28 Posted by RustyRoy (12047 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Prints but I'm slowly getting addicted to Digital.