How do you feel about WB wanting to take away humor from their DC movies.

• 93 results
Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll How do you feel about WB wanting to take away humor from their DC movies. (88 votes)

I think it's stupid, comics are fun and WB should realize that 45%
I think this is a good way to differentiate WB's comic book films from Marvel Studios films 53%

I'm sure everyone has heard by now that WB has been thinking about taking humor out of their DC films, and if not just do a quick search anywhere online. In any case if this is true I think it's obviously them trying to emulate the success of the Dark Knight Films, and stray away from Green Lantern. Personally I think that's a mistake, but I'll leave it up to the votes.

• 
righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I actually prefer the tone of DC. Marvel movies are good and all, but when they spend so much time cracking jokes it takes away the feeling that they are up against a major threat. That's just my thoughts on it.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel had the problem it didnt learn from The Dark Knight Trilogy.

The humor all over the franchise, Bruce Wayne, Alfred and Lucius, stop a bunch of incredible dark movies from being as dark as Man of Steel.

The Joker has dark sadistic humor.

Alfred was making fun all the time, so did Lucius who was self aware of everything.

Bruce Wayne playing stupid all over the franchise, made Bruce Wayne human, besides easy to understand why no one believe he was Batman.

Man of Steel had a sense of humor, but it wasnt as much and as brilliant as Nolan sense of humor.

Loading Video...

This is a great example of good and smart comedy.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@jack_donaghy: If you're saying that not every WB DC adaptation should dark and I'm saying that not every WB DC adaptation should be dark, why are we debating lol? It seems as though we agree on 90% of what the other said and are just quibbling over the 10%.

I will say, when comparing Bond films using the box office figures, you need to use figures adjusted for inflation because it's not fair to the older movies because the tickets didn't cost as much back then, hence the gross wasn't as much. Adjusted for inflation, Thunderball, Goldfinger grossed more. Minor quibble.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly - I hope this "no jokes" rule is really true and they barely want any humour in those films - that'd be awesome. If there's one thing I liked about MOS... it was the lack of humour...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel had the problem it didnt learn from The Dark Knight Trilogy.

The humor all over the franchise, Bruce Wayne, Alfred and Lucius, stop a bunch of incredible dark movies from being as dark as Man of Steel.

The Joker has dark sadistic humor.

Alfred was making fun all the time, so did Lucius who was self aware of everything.

Bruce Wayne playing stupid all over the franchise, made Bruce Wayne human, besides easy to understand why no one believe he was Batman.

Man of Steel had a sense of humor, but it wasnt as much and as brilliant as Nolan sense of humor.

Loading Video...

This is a great example of good and smart comedy.

I agree with all of this post.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I feel like you guys need to be less gullible.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're going to take humor out of all their films, they're making a mistake. Granted, MOS had humor, but it wasn't funny. The movie as a whole was dreary. Hopefully we can all have some fun watching Superman and Batman team up, besides marvelling at their capacity for destruction.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren:

We aren't being gullible - it's a rumour and we like to discuss these sort of stuff XD.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren:

We aren't being gullible - it's a rumour and we like to discuss these sort of stuff XD.

It's nonsensical clickbait put out for gullible people to discuss.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheMetalGearZero

@saren said:

@themetalgearzero said:

@saren:

It's nonsensical clickbait put out for gullible people to discuss.

Well... any reason not to discuss?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I thought the humor was very poor in the Nolan Batman trilogy, some funny moments, but most of it didn't work for me.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a comedy..yes they should include humor...

otherwise they should not...

A mistake Marvel is doing with the majority of their films..(Winter Soldier excluded)...They don't get that their films could be more than just cheap cash ins...

but who am I kidding? They don't care.... I'm not their target audience...Their movies are mostly for children...

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mistake Marvel is doing with the majority of their films..(Winter Soldier excluded)...They don't get that their films could be more than just cheap cash ins...

but who am I kidding? They don't care.... I'm not their target audience...Their movies are mostly for children...

Um... no... sorry... their movies aren't aimed for children... Hm... I wonder why Avengers is one of the highest grossing films of all time if it's for 6 year olds only :P

Avatar image for imaloserforbeinghere
ImaLoserForBeingHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Leave that to Marvel's characters like Deadpool, Ironman, Spider-Man, etc....If Flash has his own origins movie or is in a Justice League movie, they'll kind of have to give him his personality though. Or else it wouldn't be right.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a balance. The Nolan movies had some humor and MoS IMO could have used a little more. GotG was a comedy CBM and IM3 was funny but people were pissed because of the Mandarin swerve so the humor annoyed them.

I don't want a super serious movie but I don't want a comedy if that's not the intention or it contradicts the tone of the film. I liked MoS a lot but it was so dark it dragged to me even with all the action, I don't want that.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

well you can't joke when putting all that jesus symbolism in there, right snyder?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bsaa: O_o

Youse gots some issues...

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxyzptlk_cv: lmfao. I love when people say Avengers and other Marvel films are only aimed at children. You couldn't be more wrong. As usual someone spouting nonsense without actual facts to back it up.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

Um... no... sorry... their movies aren't aimed for children... Hm... I wonder why Avengers is one of the highest grossing films of all time if it's for 6 year olds only :P

3D and the fact people dont care for ticket sells.

Avengers wasnt as big as people want to believe.

adjusted for 2013 inflation

Star Wars Original Trilogy - 5.6 billion+ (worldwide)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - 4.1 billion+ (worldwide)

A New hope by itself adjusted for 2013 inflation made 2.8 billion dollars. (worldwide)

so yeah. Star Wars stomps. And we haven't even discussed 3D yet.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/will-the-avengers-movies-be-the-most-successful-tr-1521703/

The dollar amount is pretty much irrelevant. Its the number of ticket sold that determines how successful a movie is - inflation only helps us determine how much money Star Wars would have made if released today.

And it would curbstomp Avengers, because it sold far and away more tickets than avengers did.

In 2012 the average ticket price was 7.96. In 1978 it was 2.34.

Avengers made 1,518,594,910. Divide that by 7.96 and you get 190,778,255.025 tickets sold.

A New hope made 775,398,007. Divide that by 2.34 and you get 331,366,669.658 tickets sold.

Does that make more sense? The actual dollar amount is fairly meaningless to compare because of the price differences, so just compare the tickets sold.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Even though I picked A, I honestly don`t mind them being serious either. But a bit of humor here and there isn`t bad. I could go for either one.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Yes... but Avengers is a critically acclaimed film... and Iron Man is one of the highest rated CBMs of all time... are you sure Iron Man (first instalment) is aimed at children?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By EyeDCyou

I like the idea of DC having less humor. It matches the tone they usually try to create. Humor is good in moderation in CBMs in my opinion, and I seriously doubt that DC would eliminate humor all together. Even Man of Steel had a joke or two. I don't think that Marvel is aimed for children, but I do think that Marvel tries to pack a lot of comedy into their films. Sometimes it works out great, but other times I think the comedy kills the tone of certain scenes (Star-Lord dancing for Ronan, several parts during the 'final battle' sequence from Avengers.) I assume that Shazam will definitely have comedy, I mean how could it not? I also think that Flash and Green Lantern have a lot of room for comedy, but Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman tend to be more serious. But like I said, comedy in moderation is important to CBMs but the subject matter of the film also effects how much humor the film should have.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Yes... but Avengers is a critically acclaimed film... and Iron Man is one of the highest rated CBMs of all time... are you sure Iron Man (first instalment) is aimed at children?

So did the Tree of Life and that movie is terrible, Crash won the freacking Oscar even when is one of the worst movies of all time to be nominated, did you remember a little movie called The Notebook everybody love it when it came out and now no one can stand the movie, The Blind Side justh ugh and how to forget that horror that LeMis was.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh.......*

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero said:

@deathpoolthet1000:

So did the Tree of Life and that movie is terrible, Crash won the freacking Oscar even when is one of the worst movies of all time to be nominated, did you remember a little movie called The Notebook everybody love it when it came out and now no one can stand the movie, The Blind Side justh ugh and how to forget that horror that LeMis was.

That isn't the point... the point I was going at isn't that it's a good movie (I don't like Iron Man 1 at all...) but it clearly isn't aimed for children because you have a main character that's an alcoholic for Pete's sack...

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa: Because Guardians was awesome! I bet you hate movies that are universally loved. You like Forrest Gump?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: But he isnt alcoholic in the movie, not only that but they tone down several aspects of the characters so childrens could see the movie, they tone down aspects of the comic book that werent kid friendly.

They care for childrens as an audience, since it means they will grow up and still buying Marvel things.

Isnt their core audience but they care for childrens.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Of course! They cant release an R rated Iron Man film... it isn't good financially and it'll limit their audience - same goes for MOS or BvS - an R-Rated Batman and/or Superman film wouldn't work, seriously (well.. maybe Bats...) and I'd like the "no jokes" policy to be enforced because it worked with MOS and it'd work for the DCCU in general - but nonetheless, because a film is humorous or family friendly... does NOT mean it is for kids only. CA: TWS was humorous every now and then ("on your left...) and that was one of the greatest CBMs...

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Of course! They cant release an R rated Iron Man film... it isn't good financially and it'll limit their audience - same goes for MOS or BvS - an R-Rated Batman and/or Superman film wouldn't work, seriously (well.. maybe Bats...) and I'd like the "no jokes" policy to be enforced because it worked with MOS and it'd work for the DCCU in general - but nonetheless, because a film is humorous or family friendly... does NOT mean it is for kids only. CA: TWS was humorous every now and then ("on your left...) and that was one of the greatest CBMs...

Eh to be honest, i only reply the fact you said Avengers was one of the highest grossing films of all time.

Also i dont think it works, Batman movies need to have some sense of humor like point in the past, if Batman need this to cut the drama, tension, darkness, the other will need it.

They just need another type of humor, not the so obvious Marvel type.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

To each has their own... I'd like the no jokes policy, that's my personal opinion... you wouldn't like it, so that's cool ^^ Anyways, I doubt they wouldn't drop a SINGLE joke, though...

IAmTheCrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because there is a rumored "No Jokes" policy doesn't mean humor is a no go overall in the DCCU, it could be situational humor, dark humor, dry humor, unintentional humor etc...doesn't have to be straight set-up followed by a pun.Just like people pointed out MOS had humor like supes totaling the truck drivers truck with the light post or when the truck driver tried to push clark, but moved himself backwards instead...everyone in the theater burst out laughing at those parts and more, if you all didn't find it funny that's fine, but the abscence of laughter doesn't mean the movie didn't have any humor or that future movies won't. I still dont understand how or why people see MOS as "so dark and dreary" sure it was more serious than other cbms, but that doesn't equal dark or dreary.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@lvenger said:

Their problem isn't that DC and WB have removed the humour, it's that they've removed all the fun out of their comic book movies.

Or at least out of Man of Steel which is the only movie in DC's cinematic universe.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't object so much to it if it was applied to the characters it fits best with. Not all characters are supposed to be humorless and dark and trying to make them all like that makes them hard to distinguish.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, I thought only like 2 people would see this and vote/comment

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor I agree, although man of steel was at time joyless for me. I worry that current dc is confusing Adam West cheesy dialogue with genuine wit and humor like the donner films, updated of course for modern audiences.

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some characters where if it wasn't for DC no humor policy, they'd have had their own movie franchises by now. Green Lantern- would've worked if they'd incorporated humor and treated it as a fun film, but instead it crashed so spectacularly that he's probably not going to get another shot. The Flash- can you make that movie work without humor? I doubt it. And the Teen Titans would've had a movie long ago if wasn't for WB pulling the plug on the project, right when they introduced their no-humor policy in the first place. If allowing humor to creep in along with their preferred grim-dark elements is what it'll take to get a remake of GL, a Flash movie and a Teen Titans movie from DC, then I think that'd be a sacrifice worth making.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Bsaa

Joyless? You know what's joyless to me? Watching that dude from parks and rec sing and do dumb dancing.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy: If you're saying that not every WB DC adaptation should dark and I'm saying that not every WB DC adaptation should be dark, why are we debating lol? It seems as though we agree on 90% of what the other said and are just quibbling over the 10%.

I will say, when comparing Bond films using the box office figures, you need to use figures adjusted for inflation because it's not fair to the older movies because the tickets didn't cost as much back then, hence the gross wasn't as much. Adjusted for inflation, Thunderball, Goldfinger grossed more. Minor quibble.

I agree on the Bond part though I read that adjusted for inflation Skyfall has made more money than every Bond movie except Thunderball.

And I want to show everyone this article I found on Forbes' website: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/08/27/why-warner-doesnt-really-have-a-no-jokes-policy-for-superheroes/ the author says there isn't a "No jokes" policy. It's just that Dc wants their movies to have a more serious tone than Marvel's. Saying DC's movies have no humor is like saying Marvel's have no drama. Just because charcaters don't spit out one liners constantly doesn't mean there's no humor whatsoever.