How do you feel about Scott Lang getting his own movie?

• 53 results
Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By CaptainMarvel4Ever  Online

Poll How do you feel about Scott Lang getting his own movie? (56 votes)

I think it's a good move, Hank may have been around longer, but he is just not a good character. 18%
I think it sucks, Hank was the first to take up the role of Ant-Man and is more desrving of a film. 41%
Honestly, I wanted O'Grady to be Ant-Man. 5%
I don't care about this film, or any Ant-Man for that matter. 36%

I know a lot of people have not been happy about Scott Lang getting his own movie, since Hank is the better known Ant-Man, and since Scott never had his own comic. I personally think it's a good idea since Hank never reached the same status as other Marvel heroes, and since Scott is a blank slate open to interpretation. This film has already had some troubles with the Director and a few actors leaving, and it's rustled some feathers for killing Wasp, so many fans are not behind it 100% (heck I'm a big supporter of it and even I'm a little nervous). So I was wondering how people felt about this and figured I'd do another poll. So feel free to vote and share any thoughts on this film, any of the characters who have been Ant-Man or Wasp, and which character you think deserves the push more.

Either way it's a good time to love Myrmecology :)

Not like anybodies opinion means anything, but I figured I'd make this anyways.

• 
Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poor Erik

Joiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have saved this for a damn sequel. Scott Lang's birth as Ant-Man has sequel written all over it. I understand why they're going with it though. Edgar Wright wrote the script way back when it was thought to be your regular standalone movie. He had no idea it'd be apart of the MCU. So yeah, they kept his initial vision for the last 8 years... Sucks. That was more than enough time to scrap it and do a proper origin with a young Hank Pym.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GreatCaesarsGhost

To be honest, Pym is the only Ant Man I really care about.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

I almost voted "I don't care about Ant Man or his film for that matter..." although I voted for Hank deserving of his own film - because I've watched Avengers: EMH and that's basically my knowledge of the character, and in all honesty, if I were a fan of Ant Man, I'd seriously be pissed...

- TAS

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaptainMarvel4Ever  Online

@theamazingspidey said:

I almost voted "I don't care about Ant Man or his film for that matter..." although I voted for Hank deserving of his own film - because I've watched Avengers: EMH and that's basically my knowledge of the character, and in all honesty, if I were a fan of Ant Man, I'd seriously be pissed...

- TAS

Yeah he was the best character in that show. Sadly his comic counterpart is not nearly as well written as he was in that show.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Ah... well... I haven't read Ant Man - although I've got some issues from Marvel Unlimited - I can easily read those. So, if Ant-Man joins The Avengers in the 3rd Avengers film... it'll be Lang - and they're sideliningthe original Ant Man, Hank Pym, into an old, retired hero. That's bad...

- TAS

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Marvel only went with it due to Edgar Wright, without him anymore what does this film have going for it. It's the rare instance where my hype for a CBM just lowers the more I hear of it.

It doesn't help that Hank is usually a more complex character, although that would probably have been toned down. It's not that I don't like Lang, it's just that they don't have to snub Pym for it.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

None of these options really express how I feel.

I really like Pym, but I'm fine with them using Lang. His origin/criminal-to-hero arc is easier adapted to film, and I find it interesting how they're shifting around the mythos.

Plus, Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lily is just a great ensemble.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

None of these options really express how I feel.

I really like Pym, but I'm fine with them using Lang. His origin/criminal-to-hero arc is easier adapted to film, and I find it interesting how they're shifting around the mythos.

Plus, Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lily is just a great ensemble.

That's how I feel too. It's part of why I'm so excited for this film.

@maccyd said:

Marvel only went with it due to Edgar Wright, without him anymore what does this film have going for it. It's the rare instance where my hype for a CBM just lowers the more I hear of it.

It doesn't help that Hank is usually a more complex character, although that would probably have been toned down. It's not that I don't like Lang, it's just that they don't have to snub Pym for it.

Well Marvel has done a pretty good job pleasing us fans, so I'm sure they will find a way to please Hank fans too.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I'd be more upset if Pym was completely excluded from the MCU, but the fact that he's played by Douglas; and the character will be ingrained in the MCU's history alongside characters like Howard Stark, while being the mentor to Lang are all pluses in my book.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I'd be more upset if Pym was completely excluded from the MCU, but the fact that he's played by Douglas; and the character will be ingrained in the MCU's history alongside characters like Howard Stark, while being the mentor to Lang are all pluses in my book.

I think it could be an interesting way to play up the drama of Hanks life while focusing on what's currently happening to Scott. If they pull it off right it could be my favorite Marvel movie.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Yeah, and I like the Hope Van Dyne twist. It signals that there could've been a dramatic falling out between Hank and Janet, ala the infamous slap incident. It's an interesting way of having it happen without having it happen.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: I'm hoping we can still see something like that. If your going for old Hank then go all out.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Squalleon

Didn't vote.

I don't care for this film since Wright left. I prefer Hank but Lang is okay too.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MakkyD

@captainmarvel4ever: As I said they'll probably tone down some of the character's complexities, as they've eliminated stuff like Stark's alcoholism already.

It should be interesting to see him as one of the first superheroes and how they'd fit it into the universe, but he'll probably get left in the dark when it comes to any universal connecting stuff for Scott Lang. Even though in the comics he's one of the original Avengers and smarter than both Stark and Banner. He's already lost the right to build Ultron so your fate in Marvel seems a bit too trusting at this stage.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Hank Pym

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

I hate Hank Pym

Wow... kinda harsh - don't you reckon?

- TAS

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Nope some people hate Superman because they think he is a boring character I hate Hank Pym for the same reason.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@theamazingspidey: Nope some people hate Superman because they think he is a boring character I hate Hank Pym for the same reason.

Funnily enough, I actually find Superman boring and am not really fond of him - but I really like Man of Steel. Oh, well, I guess...

- TAS

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Hank or bust

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Kairan1979

I prefer Eric o'Grady to be Ant-Man. At least with him you know you aren't going to be bored.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: we have just made history by both being fans of the others hated character and not made a flame war over each other's views on comicvine.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have always found Scott Lang to be a meh character. Hank is more interesting

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Lang is meh, but I think they're avoiding Hank because they don't want deal with the whole domestic violence thing...

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it sucks, Hank was the first to take up the role of Ant-Man and is more deserving of a film.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm fine with Scott Lang, and with him being Ant-Man in the comics, but I don't think it's fair for him to be the star of the Ant-Man films. I think Hank Pym is a more interesting character, and the fact that he created the Pym Particles, Ant-Man helmet, suit and identity makes me think he should be focused on. Him and Wasp are being very underappreciated, and I don't understand why.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn.... Ant Man is getting his own movie.... Wonder Woman hasn't even seen a theatre yet.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@rd189 said:

Scott Lang is meh, but I think they're avoiding Hank because they don't want deal with the whole domestic violence thing...

But they don't have to deal with it. It can be left in the comics, as Tony Stark's alcoholism was, despite "Demon in a Bottle" being one of his most famous archs. By marginalizing Hank and excluding both he and Janet from the Avengers, they are making a big mistake. They're both important to the team. Janet is their heart and soul, far more than those sullen government agents ever will be. Hank is absolutely vital to the Ultron arch, unless he's to be forgotten and disrespected in this way. That's like saying they're avoiding Captain America because they don't want to deal with the whole "Truth: Red, White & Black" thing. That would actually make more sense, since Cap isn't even a founding Avenger like Hank is.

Better still! Include the domestic violence and show that you have some damn faith in your audience. I know that you do, since you're making an Ant-Man film despite your obvious contempt for the characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I think an Ant-Man movie is utterly unecessary, especially one about Scott Lang. Seriously, what purpose does it serve?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy: Disney bro. House of mouse don't like controversial topics. Why do you think they arent taking the Ultimates stories for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the next Avengers movie?

Besides, the MCU isn't exactly known for strict continuity sticklers. I'm glad they're doing an Ant Man movie at all.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy: Tony Stark is making Ultron though from what Whedon has said about him he really nothing like Ultron.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

@darthmummy: Disney bro. House of mouse don't like controversial topics. Why do you think they arent taking the Ultimates stories for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the next Avengers movie?

Besides, the MCU isn't exactly known for strict continuity sticklers. I'm glad they're doing an Ant Man movie at all.

Because the Ultimates are the wrong place to look for inspiration. Everybody's was just sucked in by Bryan Hitch's artwork and Nick Fury's resemblance to Samuel L. Jackson, it seems. Look a little closer and you'll find that all the characters are bastardized, cynical dbags, or both. Just look at Pym and van Dyne: Millar completely misses the point (or just doesn't give a damn), playing up the domestic violence and trying to get a rise out of the reader. The whole team are cynical schmucks and entitled public sector shmoozers (almost like in the movie). I wish I could say I'm surprised that Ultimates had the influence it did, on the films and the television shows.

I know they're not continuity sticklers; most comic book movies, by necessity, simply take what they need/want from the source material. Therefore, it shouldn't be too much trouble to drop the issue altogether, if they're so inclined. But they shouldn't exclude Ant-Man and the Wasp from the team.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy: You and I are in very different planes my friend. The Ultimates 1 and 2 are my all time favorite runs, Mark Millar is my favorite writer, and Bryan Hitch among my favorite artists.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@rd189: Yeah I guess so. I have nothing against Bryan Hitch, in fact his work on the Ultimates was great. I'm not a fan of Millar's characterization though.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

I don't care for this film since Wright left.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180:

Lol, yeah - true, man....

- TAS

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the MCU but Antman? Really?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even like ant man,but hank should be him.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: He may show up in Agent Carter, which would be really cool.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

None of the above. I'm happy to see Scott get his own movie but its because I like him and NOT that I dislike Hank.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Then just hit the I think it's a good move" I originally had "and I think Scott is great" but it made it too long so I had to cut it.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I'm not going to try to bash or harp on anything or anyone, I'm just going to put in my opinion that I think this movie is shaping up to be Marvel studio's first bad film.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

i dont agree with any of these poll options

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By jonny1995

I can't really agree on these options because to be honest: I feel very mixed about this upcoming movie.

I can understand why the writers wanted Scott as the main character since he's never had his own series and is not a giant douche like Hank Pym but at the same time: It doesn't feel right to have Scott become Ant-Man instead of Hank being Ant-Man in the first movie and the reason why I said: "first", is because this movie might get a sequel if the film performs well at the box-office. That's like me making a new Spider-Man movie set in the MCU that's suppose to be the first installment in a trilogy where Peter Parker was the original Spider-Man and has Miles Morales become Spider-Man in the first movie.

Then there's the fact that Edgar Wright left due to creative differences.

I also hate the fact that Hank Pym won't have any connections to Ultron's origin. I feel like Marvel and the writers wanted Tony to create Ultron so he can come back and where a new armored suit.

I will say that the cast for the movie doesn't look too bad and I think Paul Rudd will do a good job as Scott Lang but I wish he was Eric O'Grady.

I'm also looking forward to seeing his powers being brought to life.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker said:

i dont agree with any of these poll options

Then just pick the one that you feel is closest to what you want. I had to shorten most of them since they ended up being too long to fit. Or just state how you feel.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they took one of the most important parts of Ant man character and they gave it to Iron man. The guilt that the creation of Ultron generated in Hank changed his character to much. Also another Important thing was his relation with Ultron. Hank can always be Giant man, Goliath or Yellow jacket. So he may use any of these personalities.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hank pym is more deserving and its almost disrespectful to give to y credit for creating one of the biggest threats the world has ever seen. However I understand why they did it.... I guess

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

I would've liked to see the Ant Man I'm familiar with from the cartoons :)

*Resurrects thread!*

- TAS

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaptainMarvel4Ever  Online

@theamazingspidey: I was kinda hoping it would stay dead, because I had to word this in a way that gives people the wrong impression.