#1 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Love hate indifferent?

#2 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

Indifferent I guess. I've never had a gripe with it, or found it ruined something I read. I find first person narration to be limiting though. Not in the sense of what they narrator knows but word choice and such. If the protagonist isn't above average intelligence I find first person dreadful.

#3 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

In comic books? I'd rather not have that. It's better if the lead character explains what happens imo.

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk how I feel. Sometimes I lie it. But other times I feel like the characters should tell th story

#5 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Any other opinions?

#6 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8532 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the story.

#7 Edited by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care for it when it's presented in a spiritual/other-worldly manner. That is, narration like that in Kingdom Come. I loved the overall story, but I really didn't care for the narration with all the "behold what is unfolding" "visions come true" junk.

#8 Edited by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: How about the narration in Scott lobdells superman?

#9 Edited by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Lazy writing. I only enjoy it when it's done ironically or as a joke.

If you're gonna narrate, at least let it be from the characters' perspectives, otherwise I don't need someone telling me what's happening.

#10 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

What about for the purpose of feats? If a writer wants to convey how powerful a character is?

#11 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Like them when they're done well but I hate them when they're not.

@sog7dc said:

What about for the purpose of feats? If a writer wants to convey how powerful a character is?

Eh, I find that while it's nice to read that sort of thing is usually hyperbolic.

#12 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on who's narrating. A character should not be omniscient. However, if the narrator is an outside force or godly being, then omniscience would be fine.

#13 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: I ask because I am about to begin writing a comic and I want to tell the best possible story in the beat possible wy.

#14 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Then I would say it's alright, but just don't expect it to get Battles forum cred unless the scale of power in the narration matches the scale of power in the actual art.

#15 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Well just going by the fact that it hasn't left a lasting bad-impression with me (without going back & re-reading some issues), I'd say I don't mind it.

Good luck on your comic!

#16 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by i_like_swords (14283 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't mind them occasionally but I wouldn't read a whole ongoing with it. It comes off as an indication that the writer thinks we need the story spelled out for us. Good writing is when you tell the story by showing, not telling, and letting the imagination run wild.

#18 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: What would you say is the beat way to do feats in a comic?

#19 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Honestly, they shouldn't matter, they shouldn't be a goal. It should be about making a good story, not making a feat catalog. Just let the characters skills show when they need to.

#20 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: 100% agreed. But I'm just trying to get a grip on things ya know?

#21 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Yeah, it's hard to get into writing. I'd certainly make sure to consult with someone better at it than me.

#22 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Yeah, it's hard to get into writing. I'd certainly make sure to consult with someone better at it than me.

That is to say someone better at writing than me, DECOY ELITE. Wasn't calling myself a better writer. It's plain to see that's not true given how I murdered that sentence.

#23 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: Hey would you mind giving me a little feedback? I have a thread entitled, "can you Guys give me some feedback" and attached is a very small conic I wrote as my issue 1. I'd appreciate if you read it. But I'd understand if you're not interested in doing that

#24 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: I'll see if I can find it and add any good feedback.

#25 Posted by RustyRoy (12670 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care for it when it's presented in a spiritual/other-worldly manner. That is, narration like that in Kingdom Come. I loved the overall story, but I really didn't care for the narration with all the "behold what is unfolding" "visions come true" junk.

I loved the narrating in KC.

I see Ragnarok at last unfold. And worst of all, I see the desperate hope of the one man who might yet stop it turned to ash and cinders... by a single bolt of lightning. Armageddon has arrived

#26 Posted by wundagoreborn (331 posts) - - Show Bio

No tool is good or bad. It's either well applied or misapplied. Omniscient narration works best when there are many characters involved and multiple sub-plots. You need a voice that can dose the reader with necessary information at key points to hold all the pieces together. When there are fewer moving parts, you don't need to add a narrator from above - an individual character can be aware of enough to tell the story.

At the point where you need to put your character narrator somewhere their character traits or the flow of the plot wouldn't take them just to keep them the narrator, your "I've got the wrong POV" buzzer should start going off.

#27 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5465 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by danhimself (22539 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like when a character does the narration...I feel like no one ever does that and just kind of seems silly to me

#29 Posted by The Stegman (24357 posts) - - Show Bio

They're okay, though some people can make them annoying (Lobdell)

#30 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: That's not so bad, it was the long bits between the preacher & the Spectre that I didn't care for.

#31 Posted by teddy_the_god_killer (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Like anything it depends on how well it is done and for what reason. It can add an epic quality to a story, sometimes acting as a guide. It can say things in a way the character would be limited from doing, or even contradict their personalities. I like on the whole, but then I have read a lot of books in the past (not saying it has anything to do with intelligence), and you get a lot of narrative and description so I am not too distracted, so I am used to it in comics.

#32 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

It's okay if the writer uses it sparingly, but some writers (lobdell) use it too much and it gets annoying. I realize that narration used to be a huge part of books in the golden/silver age. However, since comic companies are trying to just appeal to adults now, they should respect their intelligence enough to let them fill in a few blanks.

I really hate it when the narration gets really pompus and pretentious (purple prose).

#33 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think it depends on the character. For characters like Thor or Wonder Woman I think it can work because of the Greek and Norse mythology backgrounds. But I don't think it works well for characters like superman or Thor because they re very much modern characters. What do you guys think?

#34 Posted by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: I hear a lot of writers (prose mostly) say that Omniscient is kinda hard to do because you're juggling character thoughts, expressions and facts you want to withhold from the reader. You use it for Jordan, Eddings, Lord Dunsany-esque kind of stories - with hundreds of characters and other things going on within the main plot. Lewis used it for humour in Narnia and it was pretty much made clear that he, Lewis, was the omniscient narrator himself. He casually mentions Lucy or Edmund telling him exactly how something happened quite a few times but also tells the readers what was happening elsewhere when none of the actual characters know anyting about it. I couldn't wrap my head around it for years, but now, I'm very fond of the Narnia version of Omniscient narrator

For me reading comics, it has to be used right. Just like you said, it brings things to a more epic scope for characters like Hercules (when it's a more serious story), Thor and Wonder Woman. Mystical, immortal, mythological (I'm fairly certain most mythologies are narrated omniscient) etc. A "high fantasy" feeling, if you will. It's Lord of the Rings or Dune narration as opposed to Batman or most mainstream comics' caption bubbles. I don't really like it in mainstream when I see it though it's used rarely enough so I'm rarely faced with that problem. Another thing is, comics are a visual media, so whatever the Omniscience ('cause that a cooler sounding name for narrator) is narrating to you is almost always unnecessary because you can see and understand it most of the time. Unless as you read a story in the present day, a crap ton of millennia old history is being related to you. Something like that. Even Sandman didn't use omniscient to my recollection and Dream's about as mystical, god-like and immortal as they come. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

And I don't think writer's need it for feats, because as I've already said, you can SEE the feats and they'll be even more awesome if they're well laid out, planned and cleverly executed by the writer AND character. Wouldn't it be cooler to see how Superman calculates the physics of how he'll smash something in his mind, in a split second instead of some bubble in a corner saying "he smashed it"? Or a Green Lantern trying to figure out the structural integrity of a construct even as he builds it? I'd love to see Kyle Rayner or John Stewart's thought processes in the seconds before they make something cool

... me and my ultra-long winded posts. I'm bored, sorry.

#35 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: I can agree with alot of that. Like in god of war the narrator wasnt so much omniscient as she was telling a story that she herself already knew. I like it for certain characters but, for example, when Lobdell used it for superman it seemed dated and was a distraction for me. But when I read it in Thor books or wonderwoman stories I hear that same old lady from GOW telling me the story. And I changed my perspective on feats. I'm no longer going to pay attention to them. I'm just going to tell the story and when they happen they happen. I just have to do a better Job of telling my artist what I want to happen in each panel

#36 Posted by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Woohoo! Let me know when it's done; I want to read it. It seems like you want it to be on some huge, epic scene. Space opera or fantasy? You seem like one of those guys

#37 Posted by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: Funny enough of the few people

I had read the first issue "space opera" is exactly what they used.

#38 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends.

When i read The Hulk or Spider-man I always like hearing their inner thoughts

but when you read stories for hercules and thor it seems cooler when an outside voice is narrating, give it a MYTHIC feel.

#39 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think there is a bad or good way of narrating in absolute. It very much depends on the mood of the story.

#40 Posted by Black_Arrow (3133 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the writer. One guy that uses this is Dennis o Neil, and I love his writing

#41 Posted by RogueShadow (10670 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends, though overall I prefer character narration, I especially like GRRM's POV technique.

#42 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11570 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is narrating, I usually prefer it to be from the character spotlighting the story. Sometimes omniscient narrators are good (like in Kingdom Come). But then, like said above, there's Lobdell narrating and that crap is just annoying.

#43 Edited by SOG7dc (7161 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20238 posts) - - Show Bio

If done right. It's usually just really cheesy.