How Do You Feel About Anime/Manga?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How Do You Feel About Anime/Manga? (38 votes)

Yeah, I love it as much as comics 39%
Meh, I like some anime and manga only 47%
GAH, GET THAT SH*T AWAY FERM ME! 13%

So, in line with my 'Are Comics Your Main Hobby' thread, I decided to do another poll to gauge Viner interest in anime and manga. I was quite surprised with the former thread (there's about an equal number of Viners who consider comics their main interest, and those that don't), and seeing as how there's a fair amount of anime/manga discussion in the Battles forum, I was interested to hear responses on this.

Personally, I don't really like anime or manga. Even though I'm Asian (like, I literally live in Asia - it's not just my ethnicity), I still identify more with Western entertainment as a whole, even though most of my friends read manga and watch anime. That being said, there have been a few instances of anime/manga that I do enjoy, e.g. Evangelion and Gundam, to name two.

Overall though, while I can't deny that they have some benefits (better animation, manga is more accessible due to its lack of an extended shared universe), it still doesn't really click with me. I guess Japanese storytelling/culture isn't something I really comprehend.

Note: This isn't a thread to incite flame wars about which is better. I was just curious to see how Viners felt about the topic at hand.

• 
DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

wow, apperantly i'm very open minded, when i read that you're asian and dont care for anime/manga it didnt phase or suprise me one bit.

PRESENTS FOR EVERYONE...not really.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I like Sonic X and the X-Men Anime, but other than that. Its pretty much a hit and miss. I am interested in the Iron Man Anime. Man I need to watch that soon.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69 said:

wow, apperantly i'm very open minded, when i read that you're asian and dont care for anime/manga it didnt phase or suprise me one bit.

PRESENTS FOR EVERYONE...not really.

You win one internets! xD

I like Sonic X and the X-Men Anime, but other than that. Its pretty much a hit and miss. I am interested in the Iron Man Anime. Man I need to watch that soon.

I heard the Marvel Anime shows are pretty horrendous. They do have some sweet animation, though.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I got to anime/manga before I got to comics, like both though

Dc/Marv need to get their sh!t straight (damn didiot and quesada -_-)

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

I like some like Death Note.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Anime/Manga but not more than comics.

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZombieMowlcher

I like some anime.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I'm open to any story medium so as long as the story is good, I'll read/watch it.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Aiden Cross

I've seen quite a bit of anime, but i'm not a fan of manga. I can't even say why not, it just never had much appeal to me :)

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I only Anime I watch are SonicX, Marvel Anime, DB, DBZ, DBGT, Naruto, Shippuden (English sub).

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@veshark:

I'm not a huge fan of Manga/Anime. I mean, it never really interested me. I suppose if it where a good story I'd read it...

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for meh. I have never been that much into it and I have stayed clear of it for the most parts. Mainly because the eyes and animation are too much. I don't believe that every comic or show is like that but my impression is that it is so in generally. However it is a field I feel I want to explore more and I want to be open mind and not reject something solely based on the genre.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Probably not as much as comics cause I have to find good ones but I do love a good manga

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By reignmaker

Joe Mad is one of my favorite artists of all time, and his art takes a lot of influence from Manga/Anime. I have nothing against the art itself, but the closest thing to a Japanese story that I've been able to get into is called Final Fantasy.

Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh, and that other ninja that likes to jump around in his orange pajamas...yep, never could get into that kind of stuff.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics will always be more important to me but, I do like some anime like Pokemon, avatar(not real anime but it looks like it) and Naruto(sometimes) but I can only handle so much. Some of the stuff can be too weird for me which turns me away from it. The over the top facial expressions can be a tad annoying but I do like the animation most of the time.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darker than Black>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#17  Edited By Teerack

Some of its really good most is really crappy. Just like american cartoons/comics.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love manga/anime as much as I love comics.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

So...you like Darker than Black?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chronus said:

@awesam said:

So...you like Darker than Black?

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I love it just as much as I love comics.

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

back in the old days, animes and mangas where really good, like berserk, jin-roh or akira. but, animes and mangas getting more and more boring. it seems like everytime there have to be a girl with huge tits, which is really anoying.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catsnlynne

I voted for the third choice.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I <3 manga

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

I like some..but the majority is just weird...just like their fans.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE manga with a passion (currently reading 47 ongoing)

Read/reading 232 series in total

Anime...meh I'll only watch an Anime if It's based a REALLY good manga

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga for life

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like some..but the majority is just weird...just like their fans.

At the risk of sounding prejudiced, I do get this.

When I was in high school, the large anime fanbase there kinda creeped me out with their weird pseudo-Japanese behavior. I guess it's because Japanese culture is a little too alien for me.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

I definitely like 'em both but am just not really into anime or manga anymore. Haven't been for the past decade, but I still have lots of love for Getbackers, Air Master, Witch Hunter Robin, and other series I watched as a teenager/in college.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While were on this topic,after reading My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute I can understand most people negative view on Anime/Manga.

CerealKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CerealKiller

Got into manga when i was younger because of my love of sailor moon and mew mew power cartoons. Then they had some anime's showing on cartoon network, like trigun, cowboy bebop and orphen, which i thought were amazing.

At the same time my friends all loved naruto and haruhi suzumiya (or whatever that one was called) but i just didnt get into them as much. I dont know. I feel like some people just really adapt to the japanese culture presented in some series, while i didnt. Like fruits basket. It was alright yeah...but it was the fact that the main character was so polite and subservient (and frankly tohru was a little annoying to me), and the boys all looked like girls and the houses, food, school life and everything was just so different, and the kind of humor was very differant to ours as well. It was interesting to learn i guess but i couldn't relate to it. I figured out i did like mangas and anime that was more or less NOT set in japan (like trigun and cowboy bebop) and were just more western in general. Maybe that sounds a bit typical but its just what i realised about myself and my tastes.

and now im very picky over what i read in manga. I feel like ive found what i like in the genre and i have my favourites. Last few years i found one of my new all time favourites in akira and battle royale (very different from where i started with the likes of sailor moon haha)

i flat out refuse to watch shows like k-on. That just looks like 10 year old girls doing fuck all but being cute for cutes sake.