#1 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello people! I'm a Graphic Design student in college and I'm about to finish, but to graduate I'm investigating about the level of reading skills in my country and it's depressingly low.

I've asked coworkers and close family if they read something... anything! and most of the answers are no and those who read stopped doing it because of lack of money (buying an original book here it's really expensive) and almost all of them, when I asked how they learned to read, didn't remember how but later said it was in school (just as me), so I ask you Comic Viners: How did you learn to read? Was a comic book, a teacher, a close member of your family?

it will really help me! and if it's not so much asking, please spread the word about this topic.

In advance, Thank you very much!

#2 Posted by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

By the way, I'm from Chile, so... si eres chileno o de habla hispana igual que yo, la ayuda sería aún mayor!

#3 Posted by MaccyD (5184 posts) - - Show Bio

Parent, I remember I learned how to read before I started school so I assume it was one of my parents who taught me.

#4 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2147 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Parent, I remember I learned how to read before I started school so I assume it was one of my parents who taught me.

probably this.

#5 Posted by Catsnlynne (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

My Mom taught me before I went to Kindergarten.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk comics

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (45947 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember.

#8 Posted by Hel (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Childrens comics and parents.

What really taught me to read well and fast were movies and TV. In scandinavia we dont dub foreign TVshows, films etc. In other words, if you wanted to know what was going on on TV you had to be able to read the subbed text. Worked well for me and I also learned English that way

#9 Posted by Edamame (28516 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Sam taught me how to read.

#10 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Parents taught me.

#11 Edited by Joygirl (19985 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Grandmother gave me the basics, I got my hands on some books and figured it out. Learning to read is one of the most amazing accomplishments a human being can have -- I hope the literacy rate in your country improves. If I could just add, teaching a person how to read (no matter the age) is one of the most rewarding experiences. That look in their eye when they "get" it? Priceless and beautiful.

#13 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see..I'm pretty sure it was parents, before school. I know it was earlier than average too (though not like "prodigy" early). I always read at a level considerably above my grade-level in school. In grades where we had to do like "reading logs" (# of pages) I always was months ahead. Nowadays I don't read much though, not even comics (I tend to go in spurts).

#14 Edited by TheAuroraChild (85 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom bought me lots of picture books before I was in pre-k. She was an immigrant, so I also read her simple english textbooks as well.

#15 Posted by JulieDC (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

I learned through school. My mom tried to use Hooked on Phonics with me because it worked with my sister, but I wanted to play with toys instead.

#16 Edited by longbowhunter (7981 posts) - - Show Bio

I could read a little before school. By the time I was in first grade I was bringing Batman and Garfield books to school and reading them to the class.

#17 Posted by SheenLantern (7015 posts) - - Show Bio

I learned to read French before I learned to read English.

And I learned to read before I could talk.

#18 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

I think my mom and dad taught me before I went to Kindergarten. Not sure, though.

#19 Edited by warlock360 (28155 posts) - - Show Bio

First or second time? First time i "think" it was a picture book, peter pan or something.

#20 Posted by The_Tree (8173 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a slight understanding beforehand through my Leapfrog educational toy, but I didn't fully learn how to read until being taught in first grade.

#21 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio

me learned to read by hitting head with book

#22 Posted by Sylvain (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

me learned to read by hitting head with book

Hulk style(If you know what i mean)?

#23 Posted by Sylvain (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

I learned to read French before I learned to read English.

And I learned to read before I could talk.

Point 1:Same

Point 2:Realy?......

#24 Posted by cfrehse (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

kdi i kniht ti saw a koob taht ym stnerap dewohs em

#25 Posted by Chaos Prime (10895 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not from the U.S but learnt to read from my Mum here in England.

Then at infant school from a teacher called Mrs Lee wot a Bstard of a women.

She gave me nightmares.

#26 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio