#1 Edited by THORSON (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

while marvel focuses on a variety of characters. I know spider-man is marvels poster boy, yet marvel is able to market without having spiderman be the main focus.

But with DC majority of the time, lets say 80% is always about batman.

Why can`t DC utilize their other characters without having batman hog the spotlight most of the time?

I would love to see more stories, movies on other characters like aquaman, manhunter, captain marvel and etc.

#2 Edited by lilben42 (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman brings in all the money. In fact he probably brings in the most money of any comic character currently.

#3 Edited by Kraya (203 posts) - - Show Bio

80%? That's a bit harsh. Especially considering that Superman is still a big seller for DC. But it all comes down to money. People like Batman, so Batman sells, so DC focuses on him a lot. Aquaman still suffers from prejudices caused/ enforced by the media. The Big Bang Theory jokes about him, Family Guy does, Spongebob Squarepants has its own parody characters based on him and Aqualad. Many don't take him seriously enough. Martian Manhunter is a great character, but I don't think he is well-known enough to be focused on. Same goes for Captain Marvel/Shazam. The big sellers are the ones that are already popular and as a matter of fact the best known DC heroes are Batman and Superman.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9080 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel just has a wider roster of more popular characters. In addition to Spidey they have the X-Men, Wolverine, Hulk, and the Avengers. Of course credit is due to them pushing these characters, which is somewhere that DC seems to be stuck with Supes/Bats on.

This is pretty obvious and understandable from a business standpoint, and well-established in comicdom, I don't really see the need for a thread.

#5 Edited by i_like_swords (19222 posts) - - Show Bio

@kraya said:

Aquaman still suffers from prejudices caused/ enforced by the media. The Big Bang Theory jokes about him, Family Guy does, Spongebob Squarepants has its own parody characters based on him and Aqualad. Many don't take him seriously enough.

In Deadpools current ongoing there was an issue where an Aquaman parody character was made to be a complete joke and was killed pretty brutally. It's a shame because he seems like such a cool character.

#6 Edited by MaccyD (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine seems to be Marvel's poster boy now more than Spidey though.

Also due to Man Of Steel, it seems to be split between Superman and batman nowadays. To be fair, they're also promoting the Lanterns and the mystic side of DC a lot more than usual these days.

@kraya you forgot wonder woman. Although she's well known and considered a serious heroine, the only reason I could see for DC not promoting her is due to stereotype that female protagonists don't sell.

#7 Posted by tikhunt (683 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay repeat after me m-o-n-e-y now say it all together.

#8 Posted by tikhunt (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Wolverine seems to be Marvel's poster boy now more than Spidey though.

Also due to Man Of Steel, it seems to be split between Superman and batman nowadays. To be fair, they're also promoting the Lanterns and the mystic side of DC a lot more than usual these days.

@kraya you forgot wonder woman. Although she's well known and considered a serious heroine, the only reason I could see for DC not promoting her is due to stereotype that female protagonists don't sell.

Only to comic readers, I still think to the general audience Spider-man is the most recognizable.

#9 Posted by Xwraith (23342 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the most marketable character.

Green Arrow is my favorite DC hero, but an openly liberal hero isn't an easy sell when there are people who actually treat Fox News as a legitimate source.

#10 Posted by IrishX (2530 posts) - - Show Bio

@kraya:

It's not 80% of course but when the new 52 started of those 11 were in the Batman family of books. 4 of those were Batman books starring him. Then he also appeared in two more books... JL and JLI. Yet people criticize Wolverine.

#11 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

Okay repeat after me m-o-n-e-y now say it all together.

this

@kraya said:

80%? That's a bit harsh. Especially considering that Superman is still a big seller for DC. But it all comes down to money. People like Batman, so Batman sells, so DC focuses on him a lot. Aquaman still suffers from prejudices caused/ enforced by the media. The Big Bang Theory jokes about him, Family Guy does, Spongebob Squarepants has its own parody characters based on him and Aqualad. Many don't take him seriously enough. Martian Manhunter is a great character, but I don't think he is well-known enough to be focused on. Same goes for Captain Marvel/Shazam. The big sellers are the ones that are already popular and as a matter of fact the best known DC heroes are Batman and Superman.

And this also

#12 Posted by Kraya (203 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: I didn't forget Wonder Woman. She is highly recognizable, but the big sellers are Batman and Superman.

#13 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought they should try and get Flash and Shazam more out there because those two seem really easy to market to the general audience.

#14 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5970 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Edited by lilben42 (2294 posts) - 3 hours, 56 minutes ago - Show Bio

Batman brings in all the money. In fact he probably brings in the most money of any comic character currently.

#10 Posted by IrishX (1757 posts) - 1 hour, 7 minutes ago - Show Bio

@kraya:

It's not 80% of course but when the new 52 started of those 11 were in the Batman family of books. 4 of those were Batman books starring him. Then he also appeared in two more books... JL and JLI. Yet people criticize Wolverine.

DC has a plethora of cool characters that they're unwilling or unable to push and bring attention to. Most if not all the Big Events focus on Batman or Supes and it in turn diminishes the profile of the other heroes and they always seem like background noise in comparison to the Big 2.

It also doesn't help that alot of DCs heroes are spin offs of the Big 2 or very similar. I like Nightwing more than Bats but the perception is he'll never be as big or good as Bats because he came from him.

#15 Posted by Pyrogram (41884 posts) - - Show Bio

Money. They are a business.

#16 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

80% of everything DC does is about Batman?

Yeah, I TOTALLY agree with you. Batman DOES make up 80% of DC's content. Like how Batman has 5 books starring him and everyone else in DC makes up JUST 47 other books! ONLY 47! And as we all know, 5 out of 52= 80%, right?

#17 Posted by fodigg (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

while marvel focuses on a variety of characters. I know spider-man is marvels poster boy, yet marvel is able to market without having spiderman be the main focus.

But with DC majority of the time, lets say 80% is always about batman.

Why can`t DC utilize their other characters without having batman hog the spotlight most of the time?

I would love to see more stories, movies on other characters like aquaman, manhunter, captain marvel and etc.

I would argue it has only been recently that Marvel started to really push anyone other than Spider-Man/Wolverine to the general audience, and then only because they had to after signing away those film franchises. So DC isn't really worse than them for focusing on Batman/Superman, they're just not as organized and ambitious. But that's changing.

#18 Posted by sinestro_GL (3367 posts) - - Show Bio

This goes back to the 80s when Batman was written as the 'dark' character, and all the hip kids thought it was cool to have a chip on their shoulder.

This sort of feeling got brought back with the Nolan films, which wasn't too long after Morrison had established Bat-God on his JLA run.

Mix all of these together and Batman becomes one heck of a money-cow

#19 Posted by RustyRoy (14597 posts) - - Show Bio

DC also focuses on Superman, GL and JL. And Batman is DC's most profitable character so why not?

#20 Posted by Lvenger (22502 posts) - - Show Bio

In short, the sales figures don't lie for DC. I wouldn't be surprised if this was their manifesto

#21 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I think 80% is a bit of an exaggeration. He hasn't really been stealing the spotlight.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36990 posts) - - Show Bio

People like to blame Marvel and DC for over using characters like Batman and Wolverine but its really not there fault, its the readers, if people actually read books with other characters instead of ignoring them then DC/Marvel would stop hanging on to the same old characters

#23 Edited by THORSON (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

so what?

#24 Posted by THORSON (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

@kraya said:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you because look at marvel they are bringing in a guardians of the galaxy, an antman, dr. strange, black panther movie and you are saying manhunter/shazam isn't well known?

#25 Posted by Wolverine08 (46492 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's Batman.

#26 Posted by Wolverine08 (46492 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't understand people who say "Why do Marvel and DC focus on a certain character?". If you don't like a character, don't buy the books. I'm not a big Superman fan, and he's in about 9-10 books right now. Do you want to know what I do? I avoid the stuff with Superman I don't want, and I only get two books with Superman a month. I don't know why the OP can't do the same with Batman.

#27 Posted by Knightfall225 (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman only has five books out of 47 !!! How does he make up 80% of DC!! I would love you to explain that to me. And secondly Aquaman is my second favorite DC character and he is finally starting to get a lot of spotlight. He has one of the best books in the New 52 right now. Plus he has a role in the JL and Trinity War. And Shazam ( not captain marvel anymore) is also starting to get a big role in comics. Honestly THE MAJORITY OF NEW 52 COMICS DEAL WITH DIFFERENT COLOR LANTERNS NOT BATMAN ( but he is close) !!!!!!!!! And of course batman has alot of spotlight....he is one of the best and known comic book characters created. His fanbase is huge!

#28 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I been talking to people...And they seen to be getting tired of Batman.

#29 Edited by sagejonathan (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has big focus on batman, but you over exaggerate it. Look at Avengers and X-Men books in Marvel. Don't just point at DC and Batman.

#30 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a money printing machine.

#31 Posted by Wolverine08 (46492 posts) - - Show Bio

#33 Posted by novi_homines (1342 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the reason I prefer marvel. Batman makes the money, but how do they know their isn't money elsewhere if they don't popularize other characters. I love wonderwoman, but let's be honest she really isn't part of the trinity. Their is no trinity. It's Batman, then superman, then everyone else. I don't know how marvel did it, but they have amazing balance across the board. Its hard to even pinpoint the top 3 most popular marvel characters. I guess you should applaud marvel for being able to have some balance, rather than shame DC for not being able to do so.

#34 Posted by The_Tree (8284 posts) - - Show Bio

He sells, and as long as people keep buying, DC will continue to publish books featuring him. And 80 percent is ridiculous hyperbole.

Marvel's just as bad with oversaturation, just count how many titles have the letter "X" or the word "Avengers" in them.

#35 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1195 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_tree said:

He sells, and as long as people keep buying, DC will continue to publish books featuring him. And 80 percent is ridiculous hyperbole.

Marvel's just as bad with oversaturation, just count how many titles have the letter "X" or the word "Avengers" in them.

Exactly lets not act like Marvel isn't just as bad when it comes to X-Men and The Avengers, go into any comic store and over half the books there will be form one of those 2 franchises. Not that I blame them at all though it's smart business to put out the most of what the majority paying customers want to see. Also lets not downplay when DC actually does focus on other heroes, Green Arrow has his own show, Flash will be getting a show spun off from that, Beware the Batman is not focusing on well known Batman villains and supporting characters in favor of lesser known ones, and there are rumors about a Booster Gold show on SyFy. In the past they've given movies to Green Lantern, Supergirl, Steel, Catwoman and Jonah Hex and a cartoon to Static Shock and outside of Robin none of the Teen Titans in the cartoons weren't household names. They don't only focus on Batman but as a business they obviously care about what makes them the most money, and right now that's Batman. It would be stupid to not push your most popular character.

#36 Posted by jumpstart55 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to see a recurring theme to your threads.

But any ways, 80% is a gross overestimate in terms of focus. More focus is tended to him then any other individual character, but to say hes 80% of the companies focus just complete bonkers.

#37 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of the day, it all comes back to the dollar signs.

#38 Edited by The Stegman (27247 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all, 80% is ridiculous, DC has 52 titles out, Batman himself is the main character in about 5, that leaves 47 other titles that don't focus on him. Second, Marvel does the same thing with Wolverine, putting him on every Avengers and X-Men team, and seeing as how the Avengers and the X-Men DO make up roughly 80% of Marvel, Logan might be MORE exposed than Batsy.

#39 Posted by tyco6300 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because he sells. And I do also enjoy his book.
But I think that the reason he sells more recently is because of the movies. Just like the fact Marvel is able to sell a lot of their books because they have movies based on a lot of the characters. Without a good movie to kick off a comic character I think that it would be hard to find buyers.

#40 Posted by Wolverine08 (46492 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I do agree that DC does not use Batman "80% of the time", but what you said about Wolverine isn't true. Batman currently has more solo titles than him, and is in overall, more books.

#41 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (7579 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the same problem with DC right now, they need to take some risks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Bat-Family & Superman seem to be controlling a large portion of New 52 Publications

• Action Comics
  • Superman
  • Superman Unchained
  • Superman/Batman
  • Batgirl
  • Batman
  • Batman and Robin
  • Batman: The Dark Knight
  • Batwing
  • Batwoman
  • Birds of Prey
  • Detective Comics
  • Nightwing
  • Batman Incorporated

Of course I'm not bashing these characters or saying that these publications are bad or stupid, though it seems that there is an overload of them. I'm slightly disappointed that characters like Shazam/Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom, and other various lesser known character's don't have their own series. I know that Manhunter is in the JLA and that Shazam has been making various appearances in other issues but he has yet to be explored in depth.

If DC were to take some risks, introduce lesser known characters, then people might be more inclined to see some movies about them. Until then we just make the best of what we've got and hope that eventually people get sick of Superman and Batman, I know I do.

Of course, this is just my opinion and like I said earlier, I'm not trying to bash any characters related to Superman and Batman, they can be interesting characters, it's just that TOO much of a good thing can be bad and lead to people getting sick of it.

#42 Posted by The Stegman (27247 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I'm not saying that Wolverine being in a bunch of titles is a bad thing, but he IS in a bunch of titles, Batman currently stars in:

Batman

Detective Comics

The Dark Knight

Batman/Superman

Batman Inc

Batman & Robin

Justice League (kinda)

Wolverine is in:

Wolverine

Wolverine and the X-Men

Uncanny Avengers

Savage Wolverine

Avengers

as well as making appearances in pretty much every X title. And has a mini series out atm if I'm correct.

#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24842 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Honest answer, because people now days have an utter lack of imagination that makes it difficult to think outside the street level box so they buy a lot more of the comics that feature the most famous super hero without powers.

#44 Posted by Wolverine08 (46492 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Well, the books Batman and Wolverine are in do sell massively, so I guess it really isn't overuse if DC and Marvel are just meeting a demand.

#45 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

it is called detective comics entertainment for a reason.

#46 Edited by GraniteSoldier (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like character over-saturation either, but really it's our fault as readers. I b*tch about it now and then, but I personally only buy one bat title (the main one). There are others who will buy them all. I hated when Marvel did it with Spider-Man in the 90s. Amazing Spider-Man, Sensational, Spectacular, Web of, etc...and they all seemed to have separate continuities.

But as long as readers will buy multiple titles of the same character, they'll keep making them. I do wish that both Marvel and DC would create some new interesting characters (notice I said interesting, Alpha was/is terrible Marvel!). But when they do try and push a new title, most people don't even try it. Red-She Hulk is a perfect example. No one really gave her a shot, and she got canned. People flock to what's popular most times.