Posted by gor724 (826 posts) 8 months, 27 days ago

Poll: How close do the movies have to be to the comics? (35 votes)

Shot for shot 0%
Almost shot for shot 11%
Similar 51%
completely different 6%
Don't care as long as it makes the movie better 31%

The DOFP trailer backlash from some fans had me thinking. Since we are the general comic book reader community I wanted to see what you think. I for one just want a good movie, and I don't care MOST of the time. When they adapt story lines, or just the characters in general, I don't care whether or not it's the same. With an adaption of a graphic novel though, I want it to be similar, so I think Sin City and Watchmen did the right thing.

#1 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Just gonna say what I said in the other thread. Don't care as long as they don't disrespect the source material and the movie is good

#2 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it doesnt disrespect the comic then I dont care

#3 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Just gonna say what I said in the other thread. Don't care as long as they don't disrespect the source material and the movie is good

Out of curiosity, what counts as "disrespecting the source material"?

#4 Edited by TheCannon (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the story is good and it respects the characters, I don't care how accurate it is.

#5 Posted by Justthatkid (3040 posts) - - Show Bio

Similar for me no to close bu as long as the character seem like they would and they look similar is alright to me after that the story could be up to the writer.

#6 Edited by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the characters are recognizable and their respective under lying themes are respected, they can take any liberties they want.

#7 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: Spider-Man 3

How so? It followed the source material just as much as any other comic film.

I think what you meant really meant to say is "as long is the movie isn't crappy"

#9 Posted by gor724 (826 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fine as long as the basics are present and the characters still have basically the same personalities. I don't really care if they're plunged into completely different situations that never happened in the comics, so long as it doesn't change the characters personality too wildly.

#11 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5953 posts) - - Show Bio

Similar

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's adapting a single story, I think it should be "almost shot for shot". When it's adapting a character or team in general, I think "similar" would work best, as long as enough important details are kept.

#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15332 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie studios' responsibility is not to make a faithful adaption of the source material. They never have and never will be in that business.

All they have a responsibility for is to make a good movie.

#14 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's important to remember the source material to an extent - HOWEVER it's often said that The Watchmen was one of, if not the most faithful adaptation of source material - and it got absolutely panned by critics and probably only broke even at the box office (despite making lots of money for it's rating - it's production budget was just too high for what it made).

I guess the thing is - general audiences. They're not necessarily entertained by the same things as CB fans are (probably one of the reasons they're not CB fans). They don't have back-story or context. Remember they only have about 2 hours to tell a story that might involve years of various factors to a CB reader. I say leave the "faithful" adaptations to animated movies, and just let them "respect" the character for films as others have said. Even then they can take liberties in my eyes (to an extent) since a writer and director might have a different perception of the character than me as well.

#15 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11147 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care as long as they don't disrespect the source material and the movie is good

As long as the story is good and it respects the characters, I don't care how accurate it is.

#16 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with similar, but I don't get bent out of shape when minor plot points are changed.

#17 Posted by sagejonathan (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they can keep the concept, keep characters true, and not screw up as bad as the mandarin, then all is fair.

#18 Edited by Squares (4957 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the movie is good and the characters are depicted well, I don't think it matters.

#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually don't care about whether or not the story is different, as long as the characters are depicted well and the story is interesting.

#20 Posted by Xwraith (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't have to be a perfect copy, but it should at least be recognizable as the same character.

#21 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer it to be different. I've already seen the story once so I don't want to pay for it again in a different medium.

The Winter Soldier story may be my favorite story ever but I still hope the movie is very different.