#1 Edited by mudstar (5 posts) - - Show Bio

...it seems like every review on the site is either a four or five star review? Surely there can't be loads of 5 star comics released every week. Could we be a little more discerning, perhaps?

I love comics as much as the next reader of this site, but perhaps we should separate our fanboy and girl-isms from our critical eye(s). At this point, I just assume nearly every comic is amazing in the opinion of Comicvine and therefore don't even factor these reviews into my purchasing decisions.

#2 Edited by JetiiMitra (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

How about read different reviews?

#3 Edited by mudstar (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Amazing! I hadn't thought of that!

While I don't base my purchasing decisions solely on reviews, they can help to sway me if I'm unfamiliar with a book or am on the fence regarding a purchase. And yes, I do read different reviews, but at this point, I don't even bother reading ComicVine reviews when every issue is given a four or five. Why bother doing reviews if everything is awesome?

#4 Posted by JetiiMitra (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

@mudstar: Well then I'm glad I could help you!

Several users do their own reviews that differ from staff's. Also, reading reviews for "the good" and "the bad" tells you a lot more than just looking at stars. If you don't like the way CV does reviews, then just keep doing what you're doing. I got into comics without reading any reviews period and I'm fine now.

#5 Posted by puppetmaster75 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Ign has a pretty good team of reviewers on their site. They don't always factor into my decision when buying but they have been pretty spot on with most of their rankings. I owe them a lot for their reviews of new series or mini-series that come out.

#6 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6040 posts) - - Show Bio

You could read my reviews. :)

They would only be helpful if you want to know about very low selling comics that came out in the previous month though.

#7 Posted by Xwraith (14650 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard that the CV staff don't want to waste their time reading books they know they won't like - that's why it seems everyone loves every book.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22218 posts) - - Show Bio

I go by word of mouth and my own opinion over reviews most of the time....I have a few friends who I feel we have very similar tastes so if one of them is constantly saying that a book is great then I'm going to check it out....@inferiorego's constant praise of Saga is the reason that I checked it out and I'm very happy that I did

or if a book is coming out that has a creative team that I enjoy or a character that I like then I'll check it out and go from there

the thing is that the staff here reviews the books that they themselves read...so they're not going to be constantly giving bad reviews to books still on their pull list

#9 Posted by sagejonathan (1783 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I've heard that the CV staff don't want to waste their time reading books they know they won't like - that's why it seems everyone loves every book.

This^. They don't read books that suck, because why would anyone do that to themselves? If a book they expected to be good sucks, they will give it a low score; it's happened.

#10 Posted by batmannflash (6171 posts) - - Show Bio

If I reviewed comics, I wouldn't bother reviewing terrible books. I only feel like talking about a story if it's a good one (4 or 5 stars)

#11 Edited by Xwraith (14650 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

This^. They don't read books that suck, because why would anyone do that to themselves? If a book they expected to be good sucks, they will give it a low score; it's happened.

To see how bad it is.

#12 Posted by MaccyD (3401 posts) - - Show Bio
@xwraith said:

Yep, Red Lanterns didn't get consistent reviews until a creative team that they liked joined and the reviews were fairly regular then.

#13 Posted by Squares (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

How about read different reviews?

#14 Posted by CaptainHoopla (842 posts) - - Show Bio

How about not using somebody else's opinion to determine what you like. Buy a book about a character that interests you. If you like it, buy it again, if not, then don't. It really is that simple. It's hard to believe comics have been around longer than the internet and people actually reviewing them.

#15 Edited by CuddleBear (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

NEVER let reviews sway you on whether you want to get something... nice to see other peoples thoughts on stuff after you have read it though.

#16 Edited by JediXMan (29295 posts) - - Show Bio

First, don't go simply by ratings. Read the actual reviews.

Second, use your own judgement. I, personally, only use reviews if I am on the fence about something. Aside from that, I just ask people what their thoughts are.

#17 Posted by Squares (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk to people at the shop/s where you buy your comics. The employees generally make it their business to know what's good, and depending on what you're looking for will have read the comic in question and can tell you whether or not they'd recommend it.

#18 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I'm the only staff member that flat out said that. Usually, the other staffers are given books that they may be interested in, but it's a crap shoot. I'm the picky one who doesn't want to waste time with things I won't enjoy.

Staff
#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24472 posts) - - Show Bio

Read them yourself and decide on your own whether you like it. I know forming your own opinion is out of style now days but its really the only way you will actually know if you personally will like something or not.