How are comic books made?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Redberry

Specifically, are they hand-drawn first then colors digitally or are the entire process drawn digitally?

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Funrush

I thought it was hand-drawn, then inked, then colored.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Redberry

@Funrush said:

I thought it was hand-drawn, then inked, then colored.

A lot of Greg Land's works look identical to each other, so I'm not sure if he traces the entire thing by hand or just copy and paste digitally to save time. There are also digitally effects in the comics. That's why I'm not sure if they are digitally drawn or hand-draw.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enosisik

Didn't some artist cause a lot of controversy about a year ago after being caught using copy and paste in his book? I'm sure someone draws by hand then it goes to digital for added affects. Some of them are drawn way too good these days and have obvious Photoshop done. The writing i know marvel writes a short hand script then fills in the dialog as they go. Dc used to write there straight through like a novel.

Avatar image for lectriccolossus
lectriccolossus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lectriccolossus

@Enosisik: hmm, they write the dialogue as they go, how do you feel about that as opposed as to writing all the way through? I feel like for the medium it is that writing through would develop better fleshed out dialogue

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enosisik

I agree it probably does hurt some stories but there are some writers who prefer that style. Even in novels some writers prefer to write their drafts on cards and rearrange them as they go. I think it just depends on the person. They developed that style because Marvel had a problem with missing deadlines, so this allows the artist and writer to work at nearly the same pace rather than them waiting on eachother.