#1 Edited by fishinsoup (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very interested about how comic book's deals with HIV/AIDS

I know about the most popular examples, like Shadowhawk (very disturbing), Hulk's friend, Speedy etc.

I am searching for less popular examples, like that issue where one of the superheroes finds HIV positive baby and adopts him.

I am searching for any examples. Villains, heroes, obscure characters etc. Or even a specific issues that deals with a criminal transmission of HIV to anyone by blood or any other method (something like that would be in Batman territory).

Yes, this is weird I am looking for something like this.

Anyone can help?

#2 Edited by Strider92 (16825 posts) - - Show Bio

@fishinsoup: Midnighter from Wildstorm contracted AIDS but due to his healing factor it was gone in about a week. Mia Dearden one of Green Arrow's sidekicks has HIV due to her being forced into prostitution when she was younger. Those are the only ones I know of.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58308 posts) - - Show Bio

Ray Monde from Hellblazer and the subject might have been brought up with Pied Piper in Messner-Loebs' run though my memory is a little wonky about that.
BB

#4 Posted by fishinsoup (36 posts) - - Show Bio

About Speedy, I have to say I am not really interested in Green Arrow, but does she get's any symptoms, or anything that would indicate that sooner or later she is going to get full blown AIDS? Are some of the villains discouraged from fighting against her, because of fear from contracting it? Or is it all just a window dressing?

#5 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about this the other day. I remember when Chapel of the Image/Spawn Universe said he had HIV. Basically he was ex-communicated from all teams and the only team that took him was Bloodstrike, reanimated super heroes, Super Zombies, so their dead already, no risk of passing it on

#6 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

To mention along with the rest mentioned, Alpha Flight #106 touches on this topic. Can provide an issue summary if interested. Oh, I just realized that the superhero adopting a baby with HIV is alluding to the issue I just mentioned, my bad. In Chuck Austens X-men run its revealed mutants can't get AIDS, but yeah thats just... Austen for you. Also lightly covered in fourth volume of Black Panther, minor characre dies from it.

Moderator
#7 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@fishinsoup said:

About Speedy, I have to say I am not really interested in Green Arrow, but does she get's any symptoms, or anything that would indicate that sooner or later she is going to get full blown AIDS? Are some of the villains discouraged from fighting against her, because of fear from contracting it? Or is it all just a window dressing?

Well it deals with the whole arc of discovering you have AIDS and stuff but its not a huge factor in the character as Speedy, only in her Civilian mode

though there was this scene before the Aids storyline where she is faced agains this guy named Constantine Drakkon and she is hit by an arrow that then hurts him, which I always thought that it meant that Winick was going to do some kind follow up since Constantine was practically infected by Aids on this situation, but i dont think there was any follow up to it

and Ofcourse there is New Guardians

I think is the first comic to ever reffeer to AIDS and other issues, but it is really bad, cause essentially makes Aids Infect like the zombie virus

Linkara made a hilarious review about that, you can check it here

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/34091-the-new-guardians-1

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/7470-newguard2

#8 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

To mention along with the rest mentioned, Alpha Flight #106 touches on this topic. Can provide an issue summary if interested. Oh, I just realized that the superhero adopting a baby with HIV is alluding to the issue I just mentioned, my bad. In Chuck Austens X-men run its revealed mutants can't get AIDS, but yeah thats just... Austen for you. Also lightly covered in fourth volume of Black Panther, minor characre dies from it.

What!?

i never read that, why are mutants immune to AIDS?

#9 Posted by tupiaz (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

In Daredevil - Guardian Devil it is revealed that Karrn Pages gave HIV. But I don't think it was that much in focus (been a whilve since I read it). Cleary it is not the most important in the story neither for the story as a whole nor for Karen Page. SPOILER: DD is not scared of Karen Page having HIV an hold her in his arms when she dies.

#10 Edited by fishinsoup (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: Can you please tell which issue of Black Panther deals with it?

Also, about Chapel, it's said he was infected with special type of HIV, which can be activaded. Question is, did they ever activated it? And if yes, what were the reasons?

#11 Posted by JediXMan (31268 posts) - - Show Bio

Mia Dearden, aka Speedy, is the first to come to mind. Second one that came to mind is Zelda from the Sandman, who died of AIDs.

Moderator
#12 Posted by JediXMan (31268 posts) - - Show Bio

@fishinsoup said:

About Speedy, I have to say I am not really interested in Green Arrow, but does she get's any symptoms, or anything that would indicate that sooner or later she is going to get full blown AIDS? Are some of the villains discouraged from fighting against her, because of fear from contracting it? Or is it all just a window dressing?

It's a part of her character. I don't read Arrow, but they touched on it during her time with the Teen Titans.

Moderator
#13 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad:

I don't have proper access to the internet so I can't link or remember too many details other than Angel and a doctor discussing. I am sure there was to be some deep reasoning for it, but just came off as silly. Would not be surprised if that idea is ignored by other writers. @fishinsoup:

Hi, I can't right now sorry but I will try and find out what particular issue later, I think early in VOL 4, #8 - #18, but won't be sure till later.

Moderator
#14 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@SC said:

To mention along with the rest mentioned, Alpha Flight #106 touches on this topic. Can provide an issue summary if interested. Oh, I just realized that the superhero adopting a baby with HIV is alluding to the issue I just mentioned, my bad. In Chuck Austens X-men run its revealed mutants can't get AIDS, but yeah thats just... Austen for you. Also lightly covered in fourth volume of Black Panther, minor characre dies from it.

What!?

i never read that, why are mutants immune to AIDS?

Probably something with their genetic codes or DNA's. But then again, if all mutants are unique, shouldn't some be vulnerable to HIV/AIDS?

#15 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator