Highlighting Black Writers in the Big Two

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This thread serves to highlight some of the works of black writers (in particular) that have written in Marvel and/or DC. I choose to highlight writers because it is very rare to find (way, way more so than artists), and in fact no such writer exists today. But there is still a good amount of work that we can give the spotlight. So, let's see some of your favorite Marvel/DC comics from Black writers.

Here's one done not only by a black author, but a woman as well. She only did I think one ark. The Web by Angela Robinson, one of only two black women ever hired in the entirety of DC's history to write for them. Her run asted a few issues, I believe, but still worth mentioning.

No Caption Provided

And those of you who I know are going to come here and say that if black people want to see more representation in comics they should make their own companies, I say this: that is not the way to go. Kids the world over, even in 3rd world countries are familiar with Marvel and DC, and their characters, granting their characters, and creators more exposure. Also, while I believe it is up to us to make the move in order to see representation in a medium like this, having a "separate-but-equal" situation will ultimately be detrimental to the industry as a whole. More constructive, although in itself a task, is creating original characters, and exposing the collective comic audience to stories rarely, if ever read. Cultivating the minds of readers from within publishing houses that have already been established and have an overwhelming amount of recognition. Now, wouldn't that be an ideal step towards helping to solve this inequality problem? Just something I want you to think about.

I'd like to see some of your favorites, or just some you think are worth mentioning. Let's have a fun discussion.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

Bump.

Shame. Not so much as a single reply. Well, here's another one.

Prince of Cats, Written and Drawn by Ron Wimberly.

No Caption Provided

DC should hire this man. He would've done justice to Static Shock. And they should do a reprinting of the book so I don;t have just the digital copy.