Hey, Viners! Great news! I bought my first DC comic today!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

So I started really getting into comics after the Marvel NOW! reboot (or whatever you want to call it), and I had thought of spreading my wings a little and start getting Batman. At first I was discouraged because every title was already on issue 16, and I felt like I'd have no idea what was going on, and I'd just be lost and eventually drop it. So I decided to just stick to what i was comfortable with sense I had always been more of a Marvel guy anyway... But as i started getting more, and more Marvel comics i started to become more, and more bold. First I started getting different Marvel NOW! titles, and that satisfied me for a few months. But soon that wasn't enough. I wanted to start branching out even more! I really wanted to dive head first into this whole comicbook thing. So.... Today I decided to do something radical, something I'd never done sense i started buying comics. Get a New 52 title! A friend of mine recommended Aquaman, and sense I've always liked the more obscure characters I decided to pick up Aquaman #18.

It was great! There where a few things I didn't understand, and a few characters that I had now idea who they where, but all-in-all I really liked it. The art was great, the writing even more so. And I'm proud to say: I am defiantly adding this to my pull-list! It got me really exited start buying more DC stuff! which brings me to the real point of this blog post. I was wondering if anyone else that reads DC comics would be able to give me some suggestions on some more great New 52 titles who's story arcs might be coming to a close soon that I could jump right into and start getting on my next comic shop raid!

Thanks for reading.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think all the Lantern books are ending the Last Lantern arc soon. I enjoy all the lantern books but I would probably recommend just the normal Green Lantern comic if you're new to all the Lantern Stuff.

Justice League is pretty good too, It just ended an arc along with the Aquaman comic about getting attacked by the Atlanteans.

Justice League of America just started recently, Its going on #3 so you shouldn't be too lost if you pick it up.

Constantine also just started and I think hes a cool character.

Superman is alright but I would probably just wait for the new Superman comic coming out, I think its called "Superman Unchained"

Those are just a few that come to mind, I'm sure others will give out some good ideas.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Batwoman has just started a new arc with #18.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lilben42

@battle_forum_junkie:

1. Injustice Gods Among Us: Cheap and one of the best things in DC right now Start at #1 or you won't understand.
  2. Throne Of Antlantis-Story Arc. Justice League: If you like Aquaman you will like this story.
  3. Justice League Of America: An interesting story and just starting out.
  4. Wonder Woman: A new take on the character and great story.

I would also recommend these stories that aren't current...

1. Kingdom Come
  2. All Star Superman
  3. The Dark Knight Returns
  4. Superman: Red Son
  5. Justice League: The New Frontier
  6. Gods and Mortals-Story Arc. Wonder Woman
2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By 2chimcha3

That's awesome. DC has very good titles. Don't be afraid to dive into whatever you want to read.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Great choice! I highly encourage you to get the first issues of the series, they had amazing art and a great rundown of Aquaman's true abilities (not the stuff you hear from Family Guy) for new readers

No Caption Provided

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jldoom:

LOL. 'I don't talk to fish'.

I need to get that comic. :)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Man Aquaman is great.

Charetter115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: I would recommend Aquaman, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Green Lantern, Stormwatch, Teen Titans, and Green Lantern: New Guardians.

Make sure to NOT get Frankenstein: Agent of Shade,Voodoo, Catwoman, Firestorm, Hawk and Dove, I Vampire, Legion Lost, Legion of Superheroes, or Omac. These are confusing to new readers( Frankenstein..., Hawk and Dove, I Vampire, Legion Lost, Legion of Superheroes, Omac), or lack plot which is replaced with over the top violence or sexuality (Firestorm, Catwoman,Voodoo).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

NOOOOOO STOP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. DC HATES YOU. THEY WANT YOU TO SUFFERRRRR!!!

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@battle_forum_junkie: If you like Geoff writing pick up JL and JLA both really good titles, I'm guess your not a digital reader? If not I'd recommend you get some back issues on comixology. Its cheap, here's an example

JL #2 threw #15 is $2.99

JL #1 is $.99

Batman and Robin is amazing

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Zero Year (the next arc) is starting pretty soon, so that will retell his origin: great place to start. Scott Snyder is great writer, so you know it's going to be good. Greg Capullo's art really pulls it all together.

Speaking of Scott Snyder, Superman Unchained is coming out soon, (a new ongoing) also written by him. With art by Jim Lee, it's probably going to be great.

So all of the Lantern titles are also ending with the next issue, but that doesn't mean you can't go back and read Geoff Johns run. He really shook the Lantern-verse up, and did a lot of great things with it. (He writes Aquaman, so you know he's good from that.)

JLA just started, and I'm sure most comic shops will have issue 1 left over, and that's also Geoff Johns with David Finch, who's really great as well.

Superman/Batman (a new ongoing) is also coming out soon, which I hope (and have a feeling) will be really good as well. There's a lot of great stuff to check out, so don't make Aquaman your old DC title on your pull list. The first 19 issues of Green Lantern New Guardians are amazing, (I think 19 came out, but I'm not sure.) I really recommend reading those. (They're my favorite N52 title.) Then Larfleeze 1 is coming out in the near future as well, which you will love after you meet the character in the few issues in GLNG. Go crazy, there's a lot of great stuff out there.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

well it has mixed Review's But I Have Really enjoyed Green Lantern New Guardians it gives you a nice introduction to all the diffrent lantern corps if you know little about them, Event wise get BLACKEST NIGHT its tank. But defintly keep reading Aquaman its also Tank.

I know little about the new series SUPERMAN UNCHAINED but as its a new series its a good place to start.

And finally

If you want a BATMAN TITLE get Batman incoprated

here is a website where you can get many dc comics at a great price

http://www.comicdomain.co.uk/

if you want a team book get JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA the TBP

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@battle_forum_junkie: I predict that you're going to be spending a lot of (well-spent) money on TPBs from the n52.

Nok.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So a few people have recommended Justice League of America and I was wondering if anyone knew when the next story arc will start? I'm trying to get the back issues of Avengers while still getting the current ones and I don't think I have enough money to do the same with JLA and still get the rest of the comics I have on my pull list every month...

Any info would be appreciated. :)

EDIT: Never mind I thought it was further in then it actually was. And here I was thinking I would go a day without looking like a dunce over the internet. :P

TOASTme69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is so funny! You and I branching to two opposite directions. I am a DC girl trying to find a foot hold in the Marvel universe! Personally I love almost anything in the Batman realm that's always fun, detective stuff keeps me engaged. Also perhaps get a small omnibus? That way you have the whole story right there and you can decide whether or not to continue.

Do you have any Marvel suggestions?

It is hard for me to find something that interests me because I am not really into the whole mutant thing. I am more into Lady villains or heroines even a mixture of the two. In other words, Strong female character holds my attention. Any come to mind?!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

TOASTme69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is so funny! You and I branching to two opposite directions. I am a DC girl trying to find a foot hold in the Marvel universe! Personally I love almost anything in the Batman realm that's always fun, detective stuff keeps me engaged. Also perhaps get a small omnibus? That way you have the whole story right there and you can decide whether or not to continue.

Do you have any Marvel suggestions?

It is hard for me to find something that interests me because I am not really into the whole mutant thing. I am more into Lady villains or heroines even a mixture of the two. In other words, Strong female character holds my attention. Any come to mind?!

Captain Marvel.

captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Read Red-She Hulk and also Hawkeye. Both these books are engaging. Daredevil is also another pick up books. Just read the reviews, everyone loves them.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toastme69:

Hey, opposite here! :D I'm a guy that prefers male characters over female ones. I find them easier to relate to therefore making it a more enjoyable read.

Thanks for the recommends.

As for your request: A friend of mine has really been enjoying Fearless Defenders. It's an all female team and the title's just starting out.

That's all that I can think of at the moment. There's not many titles gear towards female readers. :/

I'd also recommend Guardians of the Galaxy. Bendis writing and McNivin's art is an awesome team-up.

Avengers. I'm going to drop it to make room for others (DC titles :P), but it has been good and I encourage you to try it out for yourself.

Also, Thor: god of thunder has been great, and I highly recommend it. One of the best Marvel NOW titles.

I hear Deadpool's been good and funny. A little break from the more serious comics, and I'm going to start picking it up when the new story arc starts on the 24th.

That's all the Marvel stuff I've been reading, so I guess that's all I've got.

Hope this helps. :)

TOASTme69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TOASTme69

@battle_forum_junkie: THANK YOU! I have actually read a little deadpool, very funny with the slight dark humor since I hear he wants to die. But still funny ^.^

I will defiantly check those out! Thank you!

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gotwillpower

It's kind of dumb that DC still doesn't use recap pages, while so many other publishers do. Probably would have helped you jump on right away, without being confused about any characters. Also, if you're not getting Batman, you really should. Especially since a new arc is starting with 21.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By End_Boss

Now that you've opened the door on DC, you should check out Image. Lots of great stuff there. My personal recommendations are The Walking Dead and Revival, but I hear Invincible is pretty good too, if you want more cape stories.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By nightwingnerd
No Caption Provided

There is a new Batman arc starting with issue 21 called Zero Year

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points