Hero and villain codependency ?

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ownagepants

Are heroes and villains dependent on each other i have heard joker say that a few time's that batman needs joker as much as joker needs bats i mean without villains Batman is just a crazy guy in a bat costume, with nothing to punch fat superman could become a real thing i mean don't heroes need their rouges to be heroes i mean green lantern's powers are cool and all but without villians he spends his entire time saving earth's cat population from tree's right.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you wouldn't be called a hero if you didn't save someone from some force that would be harming them whether it's natural disaster or people intent on causing mayhem and disorder.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from natural disasters, I'd agree. But then again, the comics system of never handing out death penalties to big name villains is a big reason why they are still running around.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heroes can be villains themselves

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: So to relieve their boredom a few superheroes agree to become villains ?

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's an interesting dichotomy but basically yes, for them to be heroes they need an adversary to overcome. Some would still be active, but others would lose purpose. And it works both ways in that sense.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ownagepants: No say if villains were gone or some reformed. Take Black Adam for instance when Isis went down he turned into a villain again. Plus aliens , alternate dimensions would keep keep heroes busy

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@ownagepants:

To an extent, yes. Look what happened in Alfred's story in "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader." There's a point where someone has so much power or skill that there's no point in taking on just any criminal - or alternatively a super-villain taking on just any hero. Most super teams would definitely disband, just because there would be no threat big enough to require it.

However, I think that some heroes would still help in any way they could, just because they still feel a moral obligation. Bruce Wayne, for instance, would still try to improve the world through Wayne Enterprises and fundraisers. Just like some criminals would still commit crimes out of compulsion.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kyrees said:

you wouldn't be called a hero if you didn't save someone from some force that would be harming them whether it's natural disaster or people intent on causing mayhem and disorder.

"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended." - Batman.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

This reminds of Flash vs Reverse Flash

No Caption Provided

Zoom made Wally a better hero.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The villains kind of inadvertently take the heat off the heroes: Without supervillains, you've got standard crime that can be stopped by police officers. Granted, superheroes could do it a lot more safely and efficiently, but there isn't the same NEED for superheroes as there is when you've got a maniac knocking over skyscrapers with his bare hands.

If you take away the supervillains, humanity turns on the would be heroes. Just because it's afraid of what they'd do with all that power and no one to fight against.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

There are plenty of cases of hero/villain codependency.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ownagepants

@battle_forum_junkie: First time i have seen someone quote the nolan films that was not Alfred some men just wanna see the world burn bit.

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By NeonPheonix

Villains need heroes.

Heroes are guys with just as many issues, just more guided. Heroes need to punch stuff, and without villains to punch they turn on other heroes or the government.

Without heroes villains have to purpose. it's like Megamind, there is a yin to every yan.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

In the words of J.K. Rowling: "One cannot live the other," or something a long those lines but yes there is co-dependency of heroes and villains. After all every villain's plan must succeed with a hero but every villain's defeat must happen because of a hero, otherwise the greatest stories in history wouldn't happen.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

No hero needs a villain. Heroes only need villains so much as they want their comic book title to have high sales.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Don't think heroes need villains.

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NeonPheonix

@jsh92 said:

No hero needs a villain. Heroes only need villains so much as they want their comic book title to have high sales.

Name one hero that would have a good story without his/her's villains.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

Are heroes and villains dependent on each other i have heard joker say that a few time's that batman needs joker as much as joker needs bats i mean without villains Batman is just a crazy guy in a bat costume, with nothing to punch fat superman could become a real thing i mean don't heroes need their rouges to be heroes i mean green lantern's powers are cool and all but without villians he spends his entire time saving earth's cat population from tree's right.

Holy run-on sentence, Batman.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Sorry when i am not rping i get lax with periods.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jsh92 said:

Wait, why are you questioning him on that? He just said that heroes need the villains for comic sales and you return his exact statement back on him, challenging him as if he said a contrary statement.

I'm confuzzled. But to answer your question nonetheless -

Superman would still be great. It would be a nice analyzation of the whole aliens and how the government deals with it. It wouldn't be as long, but it'd be good.

Spider-Man would be a look at how "normal" people handle extraordinary circumstances.

Ironman would be an inventor's plight about how the government wants his weapons for their own global-political gain so it turns into some Tom Clancy drama.

Aquaman sort of the same story as Superman

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsh92 said:

I think that was the point. Heros/Villans are locked up, die, get sent to other dimensions and still they come back. Writers write the stories that they feel are interesting and will sell.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Read the comic series Halcyon. It is about exactly this concept.