Helping find comics for my friends to read.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I have some friends who are starting to show some interest in comics and I have a few who I'd like to introduce to the medium. Its been difficult and any help I can get would be very helpful. I am a strong believer in a book/hero/genre for everyone.

Person 1: A great friend of mine who loves Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Way more into Science Fantasy than Science Fiction. I have shared with him some Star Wars Issues but his remark to them has been that nothing happened that was "new" to him. I also lent him my DC Universe Presents Vandal Savage Part 1-3 because he is not a huge fan of the superheroes in that he feels most of the battles come down to a 'mine a better than yours' in a duel of rock, paper, scissors with their powers. I have told him that is not the case and really want to find something to prove him wrong. He's a huge fan of all things anime and a fan of Batman Beyond and enjoys, though does not love, superhero movies. He often complains about shows he'll watch with us being too dramatic ie Game of Thrones and Walking Dead and is not a huge fan of suspense ie American Horror Story. I once lent him the Skeletor Origins issue that came out last December because we were watching He-Man on Netflix and he was interested by but didn't seem to love it. He's a very conservative mind set person and a marine. Any Suggestions?

Person 2: This guy I find hard to please. He's watched a lot of animes, but is often disappointed by the extreme turns and finds many of the decisions characters make to be illogical. He is far more into story and scope of the world he's reading I think. I once lent him The Manhattan Projects issues 1-6 and he said it was a neat idea but seemed to have a lot of issues with the level of crazy it gave out. Also he isn't the biggest fan of alternate reality. He and I will often discuss what happens in comics based off his knowledge of articles he's read and movies he's seen. And while he enjoys Spiderman/Deadpool I dont think he could make it through many of the books because of his nitpicks that i've mentioned before. We enjoy watching True Blood and Game of Thrones together we watch Walking Dead but he has sorta has not enjoyed it since the first season. He really likes period pieces like Lawless and Boardwalk Empire. I've thought of lending out American Vampire to him but I don't how much interest he would really have in that. He has a somewhat liberal mindset and enjoys the politics/debating of shows and has interest in many things in the fields of science and philosophy. Any suggestions for him?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to any feedback.

nightwing444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nightwing444

For person 1 , you should try Marvel's cosmic stuff like Anhillation etc .Another good idea would be Geoff Johns' Green Lantern epic.

All star Superman may also interest him.Wonder Woman n52 (0-23) is filled with the mythological stuff if he likes that.

Person 2 should like most Alan Moore comics like V for Vendetta and Watchmen .Id also recommend Batman Year One and the current Batman run too.In fact he would like most Batman comics.He should love Mark Waid's Daredevil

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ganthetsward20

@nightwing444Thanks so much, would you suggest All star Superman to Person 1 even though he's not the biggest fan of Superman ( he thinks he has to many powers and to overly powered) but he did seem to enjoy Man of Steel. I don't know how much he enjoy mythology so I'll have to check in on that. And I was sorta thinking that Person 2 might like V for Vendetta But I haven't even read it and I didn't want to suggest it based off the fact i had only heard it was good. I was suggested by a friend House of M would be a good choice for Person 2 as well as Childrens Crusade. Would you agree with either of those?

nightwing444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By nightwing444

Ive not read Children's Crusade.House of M will almost definitely frustrate someone whohates sudden unreasonable twists.

Id recommend All Star Superman to almost anybody. If anything this is Superman at his most overpowered.However Ive never read a comic which so naturally showcases the legend of the greatest Superhero of them all in so simplistic a tale.In fact Id recommend it to person 2 as well given his preference for less convulated narratives.This comic is deliberately nostalgic and over the top, beautifully portraying each of the the classic nuances of Superman stories, from Lex Luthor's ego to the Lois/Clark/Superman love triangle.Its starts of like a Sunday strip cartoon with its simplistic dialogue and characters but slowly transforms into a heartbreaking epic about the Man of Steel.This comic is Superman at his finest, an overpowered God defying logic with kooky science fiction, villains as cliched as they come and an classic hero who defines the very word with his relentless pursuit to save everybody at whatever cost.This is not a story, this is a homage to Superman, to comic books and to those days of innocence when good and evil were so clearly defined.If this tribute of a comic doesn't make ANYONE fall in love with Superman,I dont know what will

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@ganthetsward20: For both of them

Ten grand: A dark horror comic book that deals with Heaven, Hell and the "Inbetween"

Fabian Gray: More of a action comic with magic.

Batman: Especially the Death of the Family arc #13-17: It is VERY psychological with a few action scenes here and there. One of my favorites.

Luther Strode: Only for a hardcore action fan

Planetiod: Heavy sci- fi with aliens, humans, killer robots,etc

Batman Earth One: very good

Wolverine Max: Excellent comic IMO but can suffer in the art department sometimes.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf: After reading Death of the family I wanted to lend it to both of them but they had not like the previous stuff i gave them so I refrained from doing that. Ten Grand is still pretty new right? So Maybe I should wait to get the trade? Luther Strode and the others aren't anything I've read so i'm so happy to get these as suggestions.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf: After reading Death of the family I wanted to lend it to both of them but they had not like the previous stuff i gave them so I refrained from doing that. Ten Grand is still pretty new right? So Maybe I should wait to get the trade? Luther Strode and the others aren't anything I've read so i'm so happy to get these as suggestions.

Ten grand is only 4 issues in and for Luther Strode just get the first series (Strange Talent) then wait for the newest one (Legend) to come in trade. You should really let them read Death of the Family...if they don't like it ........ It's going to really be hard to find them something they do like

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone think The Wake by Scott Snyder would be good for either of them? I think its an amazing book so far and while I wouldn't want to give it to them till is been collected I was curious if anyone would second that as an idea?

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf: How important do you think the Tie-ins are to the story to someone who would be a new reader to comics? Because in the Batman title you don't really see that Joker is attacking the family.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf: How important do you think the Tie-ins are to the story to someone who would be a new reader to comics? Because in the Batman title you don't really see that Joker is attacking the family.

IMO the tie-ins are not really important. If you want to get the full stroy then sure. But, I read it without the tie-ins just perfectly fine. The main story happens in Batman. For a new reader the tie-ins could just make the story too cluttered.The story really isn't about him attacking the family more of him trying to attack batman on a more personal level. To break up the family so that in the end its just him and Batman.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I'll give it to one of them over this weekend and see what he thinks about it.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would anyone think the New Avengers title would be welcoming to either of these guys? Or maybe Superior Spider Man, Minutemen (along with Watchmen or maybe without), or All Star Western books would be good choices? Also Person 2 is a big fan of Mass Effect as well and almost never shuts up about.