#1 Edited by Exphio (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm new to comics and decided to try out dc since I'd seen a lot on the new 52 reboot. I did some research on characters and groups and I'm thinking of trying wonder woman, since I have an interest in greek mythology. Are her comics worth buying? Also, what other comics would you suggest?

#2 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8057 posts) - - Show Bio

@exphio:

I don't read New 52, but a friend of mine recommended Green Arrow, Flash, Batman, and Aquaman. There where a few more but i had forgotten. It was awhile back.

I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman was one of them, though.

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Wonder Woman has most people split. Some people like the whole Greek myth aspect, but others dislike how it's not superhero-ish enough. I read some hate the changes to her origin as well, so the response is pretty mixed.

But in terms of the New 52, these are the books that have got solid critical acclaim so far: Aquaman (Best he's been in a while), Batman (been solid throughout the entire run), Justice League of America (New book, but looking good), and Action Comics. Aside from those traditional superhero ones, other non-superhero books are also getting good reviews. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Dial H etc.

Also, welcome to comics! If you ever need help, feel free to drop me a PM.

#4 Posted by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a bit annoyed with the lack of feats in Wonder Woman and this drawn out baby story, other then that its a great story and id say its well worth testing atleast.

Other then that id say Batman is a must, so is Justice League (This also allows you to keep somewhat up to date on characters you dont read).. I hear alot of good about Swamp Thing although i havent personally read it yet.. Id also say Superman is pretty cool if you are intrested in high powered characters, youll have to be patient the first few issues though cause it starts kinda slow.

#5 Edited by Dabee (2394 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern: New Guardians is really easy to jump in to, it's great in every aspect. I love all of the others, but I just don't want to repeat what everyone else has been saying. New Guardians... buy it. :-)

I honestly like all of the Lantern books, though. If you're going to read GL, though, definitely read some of Johns' earlier stuff. It's all really great, and easy to get into.

#6 Edited by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern New Guardians, Justice League, Aquaman, Flash, Anything with Batman, Teen Titans, Red Hood.

#7 Edited by SmashBrawler (5798 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well, to be fair, all those negative opinions come mostly from one little group.

My recommendations would be:

• Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Demon Knights
  • Wonder Woman
  • Aquaman
  • Green Arrow (starting with issue 17)
  • I, Vampire (even though it's ending soon :/)
  • Action Comics (issues 0, 1-18)
  • Detective Comics (starting with issue 13)
  • Batman and Robin

I also recommend Green Lantern and Batman, Inc., but you may need to read previous material before jumping into them.

#8 Posted by Owie (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the new Wonder Woman series for a while, and enjoyed the mythology, and its standard artist is really good. But he's been doing fewer of the issues recently, and the fill-in artists are terrible. The last issue was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and I've just dropped it. Basically this may not be a great time to start it, unfortunately. But who knows, maybe everything will change and it will be good again. You could certainly buy the collected version of the first several issues, I would definitely recommend that.

In so far as other New 52 goes, Batman is very solid.

#9 Posted by sagejonathan (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I recommend:

• X-O Manowar
  • Harbinger
  • Archer & Armstrong
  • Bloodshot
  • Shadowman
  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman
  • Aquaman

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6311 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is a great series, and she teamed up with Wonder Woman in the third arc, Worlds' Finest, to take on a Greek myth.

The three arcs sort of form a trilogy together, and it would probably help to have read the first two, but if it's Wonder Woman you're really interested in, you could read Worlds Finest, and then catch up on Hydrology and To Drown The World later on, if you like it.

The Worlds' Finest story runs from #12-17. The #0 that came after #12 isn't necessary to the story, but it gives some good backstory to Batwoman.

If you're interested in reading more of Batwoman, Elegy is a great TPB to get, or you can get it as single issues as Detective Comics #854-860.