#1 Posted by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom have 0% interest in comics. Every time I try to talk to her about what's going on in the latest comic I'm reading all she says is "Okay, that's nice ( The facial expression she makes when she says it - (-__-). I'm an only child and I don't have much friends so I hardly ever have anyone to talk to about comics expect Viners <3, but I don't get the computer long because she uses it very often. I've tried numerous times to get her interested but my mother is a very persistent woman. She loves reading detective stories like Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Murder Mysteries, etc. So I was thinking, "What if I find her some really some detective comics!" and no I'm not talking about DC Comics -__-. So my question is - What are some good detective themed comics I can get for her?

#2 Edited by The Stegman (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween. Definitely

#3 Posted by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinawayne: hmm that's tough

You can try offering her some to read but at the end o the day, if she has 0% interest like you say, then that's that. Can't make people understand comics if they don't want to.

I wish we could, but sadly some people will just never make it past their negative misconceptions to even give it a try. Good luck I guess!

#4 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ever find a way let me know. I've been trying to get my girlfriend whom I live with into comics but she won't even entertain the idea. She thinks it's weird and a bit 'mum's basement'. Frustrating thing is, I'd know she'd be really into some of the non superhero stuff. Oh well.

I understand your frustration mate. None my friends read comics (that I know of).

#5 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Bedlam kind of focuses on a detective. Well, a post-lobotomized serial killer working with homicide detectives...

EDIT: It's awesome, though. Check it out, I implore you!

#6 Posted by Joygirl (20060 posts) - - Show Bio

Try a serious Superman story like all-star. Momz are more open to Superman than other characters as a general rule.

#8 Edited by sagejonathan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom doesn't even like fiction. I just don't understand...

#9 Posted by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Immortal777 (7672 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's possible especially with 0% interest.

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6419 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there have been Sherlock Holmes comics. You could try finding comic book adaptations of novels or T.V. shows she likes to start her off, then if she gets into the comic book format, she can move onto other things.

#12 Edited by The_Tree (7725 posts) - - Show Bio

Blacksad. First you loop her in with the detective genre, then she stays for the gorgeous art.

#13 Posted by kcjr (335 posts) - - Show Bio

The only suggestion I have is to make her promise to read 10 issues of your favorite comic. That should be enough for her to get familiar with characters and plot points. Maybe something fairly mature in its' writing style like the most recent volumes of Avengers and New Avengers (or whatever you like). If something doesn't click with her...ask her to read some more!!! Good luck with her!

#14 Posted by JediXMan (30931 posts) - - Show Bio

You could attempt introducing her to more "mature" comic books that go against her preconceived notions of what comics are about. Here are my recommendations:

1. The Sandman. More horror themed, but less so later on. Has to do with mythology, as well as a deeper look at humanity.
  2. Death: The High Cost of Living. Complicated, down-to-earth, and not too complicated, but it has a deeper story and plot if you look at it.
  3. V for Vendetta. Again, it has to do with politics and human nature. It also has a wonderful character arc that I particularly love as well as something of a mystery tale, though the outcome is rather ambiguous.
Moderator Online
#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom have 0% interest in comics. Every time I try to talk to her about what's going on in the latest comic I'm reading all she says is "Okay, that's nice ( The facial expression she makes when she says it - (-__-). I'm an only child and I don't have much friends so I hardly ever have anyone to talk to about comics expect Viners <3, but I don't get the computer long because she uses it very often. I've tried numerous times to get her interested but my mother is a very persistent woman. She loves reading detective stories like Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, Murder Mysteries, etc. So I was thinking, "What if I find her some really some detective comics!" and no I'm not talking about DC Comics -__-. So my question is - What are some good detective themed comics I can get for her?

Gotham Central: by Ed Brubaker & Greg Rucka.

It's a series dealing with the cops in Gotham: kind of a CSI/NCIS type comic-book set in the DC Universe. But it doesn't focus on brightly-colored superheroes, but more in the life of good and corrupt cops, and the horrific crimes that they have to deal with every day.

If your mom is into mysteries, this book is great, because each arc is essentially an investigation for a case. You only need mild background knowledge of the Batman mythos to understand this book, so it's great for newer readers too. Plus, it's a fairly realistic story that non-comic readers might be more inclined to read.

Still, good on you for trying to share your hobby though. Here's the first trade volume.

#16 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

I think there have been Sherlock Holmes comics. You could try finding comic book adaptations of novels or T.V. shows she likes to start her off, then if she gets into the comic book format, she can move onto other things.

You just gave me the best idea! My mom loves the T.V Series: Fringe. So I did some research and look what I found!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I showed this to my mom and she said she'll give it a try! *Bear Hugs You* :') (sniffle)

#17 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Just take her to a store and let her look around

#19 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6419 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by BumpyBoo (10049 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinawayne: Aw very welcome :) And so sweet of you to thank us all individually - doubly glad of be of service ^__^