#1 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided that Nova, Richard Rider is a character I want to learn more about. Suggest me stories and tell me if this reading order is correct and/or necessary.

• Essential Nova
  • Annihilation (omnibus?)
  • Nova Vol 1 Annihilation Conquest
  • Nova Vol 2
  • Nova Vol 3
  • Nova Vol 4
  • Nova Vol 5
  • Nova Vol 6
  • Thano's Imperative

Couple questions:

Is essential Nova any good? Is it really that "essential"?

I hear Annihilation is awesome, and has been called the greatest crossover in the decade. Is this true? Also should I just read Nova's parts in Annihilation or will getting the Omnibus that's packed with others miniseries be more enjoyable? Also do all the characters featured in Annihilation interact or do they all do their own thing until 1 big final ending that features everybody?

Is Nova's solo series 1-36 or Volumes 1-6 really good?

Is Thano's Imperative in the right place?

#2 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by dondave (38895 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: I'd advise against getting Essential Nova barbecue it in Black and White (unless of course if you prefer it that way) and try and try and track down the original series because that basically what it is with some tie ins. You should also try and get New Warriors.

Nova 's series by DnA is really good, I suggest you buy the trades and if you want Nova's story in Annihilation, you only have to read Annihilation Prologue, Annihilation Nova and then the Annihilation miniseries.

#4 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Okay thanks for the warning, as the only thing I like B&W is Walking Dead.

Is Nova Classic - Volume 1 and Nova Classic Volume 2 the same thing as essential, but in color? or not?

I have to say i just looked up New Warriors and it doesnt seem that interesting to me. Is it that important?

And thanks for the Annihilation tips.

#5 Edited by dondave (38895 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Okay thanks for the warning, as the only thing I like B&W is Walking Dead.

Is Nova Classic - Volume 1 and Nova Classic Volume 2 the same thing as essential, but in color? or not?

I have to say i just looked up New Warriors and it doesnt seem that interesting to me. Is it that important?

And thanks for the Annihilation tips.

The first Nova Classic Volume 1 only has 12 of the 25 issues of the original series while the second Volume's synopsis seem to be based of Sam Alexander rather than Richard Rider.

It depends on what you think important is, I mentioned New Warriors because it's the main team that Nova was affiliated with when he wasn't in his own solo, so your more likely to find story arc about him there than some where else.

#6 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Yeah I think they misplaced the description on Nova Classic 2 because the guys review under it seems to contradict with the description. Okay, I'll look more into the New Warriors.

#7 Posted by HumanRocket (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: stay away from it. Go with the way I first found out about Nova which is going by Annihilation and Nova vol 4. You will see Rich become Nova Prime learn to control his new powers lead the universe against the annihilation wave become a leader a warrior.

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket: Can you be more descriptive. You are saying to just read it like this:

Annihilation Prologue

Annihilation Nova

Annihilation miniseries

Then just read:

The 36 issue series by Dan Abbnet

#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I figured it out:

• Annihilation Prologue (one shot)
  • Annihilation Nova (1-4)
  • Annihilation (1-6)
  • The 36 issue series by Dan Abbnet (Volumes 1-6)
#10 Posted by kidman560 (7578 posts) - - Show Bio

• Annihilation (1-6)

sorry i joined late but this is about right

#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35128 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by Cap10nate (2734 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: just saw this now, but as others have said, start with Annihilation.

Annihilation itself is a 6 issue series. It is supplemented by a bunch of prologue mini series that set the scene. The event itself is great, but the prologues make it fantastic. Annihilation: Nova is probably the best one in my opinion. It is 4 issues long and shows everything that happens to Nova, Drax, and the Corps up until where Annihilation 1 kicks off. There is also prologues for Super-Skrull (4 issues), Silver Surfer (4 issues), and Ronan (4 issues). They are also good reads, and set up events in the series but not as critical as Annihilation: Nova. These are all collected in 3 Annihilation Books. Book 1 has the prologue and Annihilation: Nova, Book 2 has Super-Skrull, Surfer, and Ronan. Book three has the event and a couple wrap ups I believe. There is also an omnibus that collects it all I believe.

Nova's series (Volume 4) spins out of Annihilation and is also really good. I don't think Nova has a lot to do with Annihilation: Conquest. That is mostly a story for Star Lord. It is also a good read if you get the chance. Nova's series runs for 36 issues. It has a lot of great moments and a lot of good character development. There is some tie in with War/Realm of Kings. I haven't read those events yet so i can't tell you if they are good or not.

There is a Guardians of the Galaxy series that runs congruently with Nova, and they both wrap up with the Thanos Imperative. It is a great story that has a satisfying conclusion to the Marvel Cosmic universe from Annihilation to the end of the Thanos Imperative.

As for pre-Annihilation Nova, I don't think I can help you there. I was never really drawn to the New Warriors so I haven't read to much other than a few cross-overs with some late 90s Avengers.

#13 Posted by HumanRocket (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Annihilation Prologue (one shot)

Annihilation Nova (1-4)

Annihilation (1-6)

The 36 issue series by Dan Abbnet (Volumes 1-6)

That's pretty much it. There's also a Nova Annuel you can read with a modern age telling of Nova's origin but I think if you buy the trade version of vol 4 it should come included I'm not sure ill look into it and let you know. It's not really needed but it's a good re-telling of his origins. Save the Thanos Imperative for last.

#14 Edited by 14NC3 (1794 posts) - - Show Bio

• Annihilation (1-6)

This is about right. I'd add in Thanos Imperative though. I don't know about you but out of all of these i enjoyed Nova Vol. 4 and Annihilation the most. Hope to hear what you thought about them :)

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate: thanks for the big explaination it helped a lot.

@allstarsuperman: all Annihilation stuff is amazing so just read it all

That's my plan.

Okay I got it Figured out now.

• Annihilation Volumes 1-3 (or the Omnibus)
  • Nova Volumes 1-6 (or issues 1-36 + an annual)
  • Thano's Imperative

#16 Posted by musim (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I would read pre-Annihilation Nova and if you like Nova in Annihilation and want to know more. The old stuff is mostly Rich constantly losing and regaining his powers but has some good stories in it. But there is a lot of throw backs to the old Nova and New Warriors series in Nova volume 4's later issues with the Sphinx and Namorita.

The original 25 issue run is hard to make it through but the last few issues go into a big crossover with Rom the Space Knight and the Fantastic Four, climaxing in a show down between Sphinx and Galactus. And I say the last few issues, what happens is the story starts in the last few issues and then goes over to Rom and the FF. If you want to cherry pick, read the origin, any stories with the Sphinx, and then the last story arc

The New Warriors is mostly skippable. I refer to this period of Rich's career as his jock years. The first 25 issues or so are still mostly entertaining but the later half of the series is pretty weak. The subsequent New Warriors volumes aren't very good either. Although truth be told I didn't read the last one because it had nothing to do with the original team. I hear it might have been good but the Fox 90's X-Men cartoon made me hate Jubilee so I will never know.

#17 Posted by VanderSEXXX (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate: thanks for the big explaination it helped a lot.

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: all Annihilation stuff is amazing so just read it all

That's my plan.

Okay I got it Figured out now.

• Annihilation Volumes 1-3 (or the Omnibus)
  • Nova Volumes 1-6 (or issues 1-36 + an annual)
  • Thano's Imperative

That's pretty much it! Yes Annihilation is one of the best main event's he was involved in, and the Thanos Imperative was Rider's last heroic stint until Sam took his place.

You found a TPB copy of Annihilation? I couldn't find that anywhere these days and want to buy one since I don't wanna open the single issues anymore just to read em again. lol

#18 Edited by AllStarSuperman (22996 posts) - - Show Bio