help me decide what to do

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So my grandfather just gave me his comic book collection and he told me to sell it to pay for my college education and my dream home. Hes been collecting comics since the 40s and didnt stop until the 90s. He has some really rare issues like batman #1, first appearance of robin, first justice league, amazing fantasy 15, fantastic four issue 1, and tons more that are worth a lot

Now heres my dilemma there are over 6,000 comic books here and im sure i could easily sell this and make a good profit and do all the stuff he wants me to do and have a good bit leftover. But i dont want to sell it. I want to read all of these and keep these because 1. as a comics fan this is the ultimate dream 2. i love my grandfather and he got me into comics and this collection is the ultimate symbol of that and 3. this was his lifes work hes collected for so long id hate to just give it all away.

But see if i keep it this is going against his wishes because he really wants me to get through school and to have a beautiful home. what would you guys do?

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only worth it if you go to Clown College. Otherwise, just keep it.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Uh...how good condition are they? Batman 1 is probably worth 10's if not 100's of thousands...same with Amazing Fantasy...

If you can pay for your education ... do it. Sentimentality aside its one of the most expensive thing's in your life.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So my grandfather just gave me his comic book collection and he told me to sell it to pay for my college education and my dream home. Hes been collecting comics since the 40s and didnt stop until the 90s. He has some really rare issues like batman #1, first appearance of robin, first justice league, amazing fantasy 15, fantastic four issue 1, and tons more that are worth a lot

Now heres my dilemma there are over 6,000 comic books here and im sure i could easily sell this and make a good profit and do all the stuff he wants me to do and have a good bit leftover. But i dont want to sell it. I want to read all of these and keep these because 1. as a comics fan this is the ultimate dream 2. i love my grandfather and he got me into comics and this collection is the ultimate symbol of that and 3. this was his lifes work hes collected for so long id hate to just give it all away.

But see if i keep it this is going against his wishes because he really wants me to get through school and to have a beautiful home. what would you guys do?

Talk to him about how you feel.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'd say keep them. Unless they're in mint condition or near it, they're not going to be worth an entire college tuition + a dream home. But then again…you never know.

Uh...how good condition are they? Batman 1 is probably worth 10's if not 100's of thousands...same with Amazing Fantasy...

If you can pay for your education ... do it. Sentimentality aside its one of the most expensive thing's in your life.

Action Comics #1 has been auctioned at exactly $1,000,000 so -I think- Batman could be auctioned at similar price. But note -- that is at an auction -- not sales

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigtewell

pretty good condition. all of them have been taken care of no rips or tears. i saw that the first appearance of robin was a bit faded. but im in college now and i do have to take some loans its not like i wont be able to pay it back in the future but i wont be able to get these comics back. theres like 6,000 books here too

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheTrueBarryAllen

Possibly sell one or two of them if you really come into a pickle, but these comics are quite the treasure.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@arturocalakayvee: Batman #1 is by no means similar in price to action comics #1 its no even the first appearance of batman.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Batman #1 is by no means similar in price to action comics #1 its no even the first appearance of batman.

Its the first issue of the named title of quite possibly the most famous superhero in history, it is definitely near in price. 'Tec is obviously worth more but do not count out Batman 1.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: a tenth of the price or ven 3 tenths of the price is not what i would call near.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee: a tenth of the price or ven 3 tenths of the price is not what i would call near.

You do realize that the price of Action Comics #1 was an auctioned price, right? Everything is exponentially increased in auction. And do you have any evidence that Batman #1 is 1/10th or 3/10ths of Action Comics #1?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Read them, then sell them. *GASP*

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ehh I am torn

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Value goes down if you read them, right?

Well then...um...50/50 it?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that those books in the long haul will mean more to you then the money they are worth. Long after your grandfather is gone, this link to him will exist. I think you know what you want to do. So do it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell him your going to put it off til next year so they'll go up in value when the movies come out. That'll give you plenty of time to think about it.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If in a couple of years you are full of debts, or worse, you can't finish your education course, you will regret it far more than having sold some old comic books.

I'd say sell most of the collection, keep I coouple of issues you think are cooler to possess.

The amout of money they give you for such items is disproportionate, you should take advantage of it.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By 2chimcha3

I have wondered about this before, and I say you should pay for your education. America's colleges are ripoffs and have no guilt stealing you money. Take advantage of what you have been given to pay all that off. Selling a couple of those really rare issues should do the job, and you will still have plenty left over for yourself.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bigtewell: I advice you to sell them to me and however they're older I'd pay the original prices (the prices on the cover)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Just my advice. An education is is priceless.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sell the comics but keep one comic that reminds u of the best times spent with your Grandfather, doesnt have to be the most expensive but one that holds fond memories of him :)

As Fallschirmjager said An education is priceless :)