#1 Edited by VivekP (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi guys,

I am new to the comic world and interested in dark and intense stuff. I have started with the batman story arcs like year one, long Halloween, arkham asylum, arkham city, Hush, etc and first six volumes of spawn origins.

Now I want to read and explore more stories involving similar dark characters and story lines. Could anyone of you help by suggesting the same ?

with regards,

VivekP

#2 Edited by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen is a pretty dark graphic novel, and a must-read for anybody getting into comics. It's not really dark in the sense of Spawn, it's more dark and intense in theme and the atmosphere.

Daredevil isn't quite as dark as Batman or Spawn, but a lot of his stories can be pretty dark and brooding, similar to Bats. If you want a taste of this, I'd suggest reading Guardian Devil. If you like it, go back and read Daredevil's origin in Man Without Fear and Yellow, then you can go back to the darker stuff (which is mostly Daredevil vol 2. Vol 1 has a lot of great stuff, but it's not nearly as dark in that sense, so I think you'd enjoy vol 2 more.)

I haven't personally gotten around to reading Moon Knight yet, though I want to, but a lot of people say he's very similar to Batman, so you might wanna check that out.

Also I'll mention Hellboy, which is pretty light itself in overall mood and feeling, but the stories pretty much revolve around dark and interesting horror-themed or inspired things, such as vampires, demons, haunted places, monsters, etc.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll back Zomboid and say Daredevil. Start with Man Without Fear.

#4 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil

Moon Knight

ShadowHawk

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@VivekP:

• Watchmen
  • Wanted
  • A lot of Wildstorm books were really dark and mature, though the imprint has now been merged with general DC Comics world and as such it has been toned down.
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33446 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark story line is walking dead. But characters aren't like batman and spawn.

Also, the Spiderman arch - Kraven's Last Hunt.

I never got into them, but Sandman and Preacher might be up your alley. As spiderbat87 recs both are Vertigo.

#8 Posted by capfan80 (348 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Moon Knight CANCELLED :(

Daredevil

Punisher

Preacher and Walking Dead can be pretty grim.

#9 Edited by _Zombie_ (10443 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher MAX gets pretty damn dark during the Ennis run. Haven't really read much of Aaron's work on it, though.

#10 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, a good team book, the new STORMWATCH

or the old AUTHORITY

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33446 posts) - - Show Bio
@VivekP: Haunt, it's basically the spiritual sister book to Spawn
#12 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Sandman, Preacher and Punisher MAX are all good suggestions that I've read.

#13 Posted by ThexX (1570 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force, Punisher, Huant, Venom, The Authority, and Winter Soldier (comes out Feb 1, 2012)

#14 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything by Garth Ennis (mainly Punisher MAX)

Moon Knight

Daredevil (mainly Frank Millar's run)

#15 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight, in particular the series that started in '06.

Silent Hill

Eddy Current

#16 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't recommend the current Moon Knight ongoing written by Bendis, but the '06 run is perfect. I would highly recommend that as essential reading to any mature comic fan.

The Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. While although it is far more intellectually stimulating and complex than most Spawn and Batman storylines, if you are willing to delve into a fantastical world of dark, mature themes with rich mythology, you would be rewarded accordingly.

The Lucifer series by Mike Carey is my third recommendation. It's hard to explain without giving too much away or establishing expectations that may be impossible to reach, but you should seriously check it out.

A spectacular blend of neo-noir themes and dark, brooding mysticism would be Hellblazer. Start with the Dangerous Habits arc.

#17 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

I wouldn't recommend the current Moon Knight ongoing written by Bendis, but the '06 run is perfect. I would highly recommend that as essential reading to any mature comic fan.

The Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. While although it is far more intellectually stimulating and complex than most Spawn and Batman storylines, if you are willing to delve into a fantastical world of dark, mature themes with rich mythology, you would be rewarded accordingly.

#18 Edited by TheWholeDamnShow (758 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Daredevil Noir. Noir is a Marvel universe where all the heroes are more realistic and darker. You should check it out.

#19 Edited by VivekP (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for their valuable inputs. It really helped me a lot. The world of comics is pretty vast and i really needed some suggestions to get me sorted.

PS: I will keep u posted on my experiences.

Thanks a ton,

VivekP

#20 Posted by The_Bottomless_Pitt (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're still looking for dark characters, Check out Punisher, Darkness, Pitt, The Crow, or Razor they are pretty dark.

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20251 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher is a great one. Watchmen is also fantastic. One my favorites.

#22 Posted by tea8765 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League Dark from the DC new 52 and I agree with all those who suggest Watchmen.

#23 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil: Start with Man with out fear, then read born again, then you could pick up guardian devil (you should have read born again before you read this). After this I would go back to Frank Millers ol 1-3 (you can also start here). Bendis and Ed Brubakers run is also dark. The Daredevil Yellow is also fine, however not as a beginner book read born again and guardian devil before you read this.

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell is also Dark put not extremely dark.

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore is also Dark but more like Watchmen in atmosphere.

What have you pick up since this topic was started?