glutenbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glutenbob

Hi guys,

So I've been a big fan of the Marvel animated films, MCU, and animated tv shows, but I am trying to get into the comics now. Really not sure where to start.

I tried reading the old Thor comics, but its really hard to read since he talks old english all the time. Was there ever a total revamp of the Marvel series at anypoint where I can start at? Really trying to avoid the old comics.

If not then is there any point in time when they revamped Thor?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glutenbob: Get the Marvel Now Thor stuff by Jason Aaron for a damn fine read. The stuff by Simonson from the 80's is considered to be must read as well.

However Thor still talks in his Asgardian way even now. If you want a Thor that talks normal (most of the time) pick up the Ultimates 1 and 2 by Mark Millar.

glutenbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By glutenbob

@risingbean: The new Asgardian talk isn't as heavy as the stuff in Thor VOl 1. Its very much readable atleast to me.

What issues have the RKT storyline. I am most interested in that

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glutenbob: If I were you I'd read the Ultimate comics from the beginning, it shows you rehashed modern and often cooler versions of the characters origins. The Ultimate comics didn't start till the year 2000 so any problems you have with (admittedly mediocre) writing of the 60s will be solved. The only problem is that it's an alternate universe so many things will be different from the main comics, but that's okay because your coming from the MCU which borrows as much material from the Ultimate universe as the main one (Triskelion, Jackson Fury etc.) Also the Ultimate universe is different but not different enough that you couldn't just read those and then understand the normal comics, there would be some notable differences.

If you take me up on this suggestion though one word of warning. The Ultimate universe takes a game of thrones approach to killing off characters, meaning they do it alot and they (almost) never bring back a character they've killed off as opposed to the normal comics where 5 minute deaths are abundant. Although I appreciate this realistic approach to killing off characters it can be sad to have your favorite character get killed off, although it does make you take the villains more seriously.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be forewarned, most of the Ultimate comics suck.

I'd recommend getting a Marvel Unlimited account. It's a great website because it has thousands of comics and you could experiment and see what comics you like.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RisingBean

@glutenbob: Dunno. I wasn't reading Thor during his RKT time. Sorry about that. I'm sure somebody else can direct you to those specific stories.

@acer51 Actually Jackson Fury isn't the case in the Ult U. Like the MCU that was inspired by it, Nick Fury just happens to be a black dude.

@kittyparker13 I disagree with you.

After Ultimatum you may be able to make a case, but the Ultimates 1-2, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four were all fun reads. I also liked the X-Men even if it wasn't the best thing ever. Even after Ultimatum there some cool concepts thrown out there.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glutenbob: welcome to the world of comic books and to Comicvine!

If you enjoy the MCU, I believe Avengers Assemble was based off of that. It ran 25 issues.

To read about Rune King Thor, try Thor (volume 2) issues 80-85. I'm not a Thor expert so I may be wrong.

For current ongoing titles, Thor in Marvel Now is really popular and ongoing.

Without knowing more about your tastes, not sure what else to recommend.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By acer51

@glutenbob: Dunno. I wasn't reading Thor during his RKT time. Sorry about that. I'm sure somebody else can direct you to those specific stories.

@acer51 Actually Jackson Fury isn't the case in the Ult U. Like the MCU that was inspired by it, Nick Fury just happens to be a black dude.

@kittyparker13 I disagree with you.

After Ultimatum you may be able to make a case, but the Ultimates 1-2, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four were all fun reads. I also liked the X-Men even if it wasn't the best thing ever. Even after Ultimatum there some cool concepts thrown out there.

I know that would have been their legal stance on it before the Avengers movie (now they might be willing to admit it).

No Caption Provided

The drawing on the left was made in 2005 for Ultimates annual #1, the MCU hadn't been created though the Ultimate universe was well established.

No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

If you don't want to watch the whole interview (though I recommend it) skip to 2:08.

And if that doesn't convince you the Ultimate universe took Samuel L Jackson likeness then you might be one of Marvels lawyers.

Also I want you to know I in no way meant to offend you with this post, this isn't the battle forums and I know how it can feel when someone goes to any kind of effort to refute what you said, I'm just trying to make this a forum for comic book truthness.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FearTheLiving
Read it. Love it. Live it.
Read it. Love it. Live it.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: It isn't Thor, but it is damned good.

@acer51: I'm not arguing they used Sam Jackson's likeness ( though I understand Hitch had permission before he modeled Fury after Jackson. I'd bet Jackson forgot giving his permission or was b.s.ing the journalist for sake of a good story) I didn't pick up what you put down originally. I know there is now a Black Fury who is Nick's son or some such in the 616 universe. I thought this is who you were calling Jackson Fury. Was Marvel so lazy he is he actually just named Nick Fury Jr? It's escaping my mind.

Anywho when I was thinking that, I was also thinking you thought Nick Fury of the Ultimate U was named Jackson for some reason, which was the point I dismissed. At any rate, I'm back on board with what you meant.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: I know :), but I always feel the need to recommend it regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@feartheliving: It isn't Thor, but it is damned good.

@acer51: I'm not arguing they used Sam Jackson's likeness ( though I understand Hitch had permission before he modeled Fury after Jackson. I'd bet Jackson forgot giving his permission or was b.s.ing the journalist for sake of a good story) I didn't pick up what you put down originally. I know there is now a Black Fury who is Nick's son or some such in the 616 universe. I thought this is who you were calling Jackson Fury. Was Marvel so lazy he is he actually just named Nick Fury Jr? It's escaping my mind.

Anywho when I was thinking that, I was also thinking you thought Nick Fury of the Ultimate U was named Jackson for some reason, which was the point I dismissed. At any rate, I'm back on board with what you meant.

Believe so.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: As you should. Clint's long been my favorite unpowered hero of the Marvel U, and it's a shame it's taken this long for him to get his own ongoing.

Believe so.

Man, that is so lame. God forbid a new reader can't tell the old comic Fury apart from the MCU version.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Marvel.....blah...Thor.....blah..blah... Read AllStarSuperman.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@allstarsuperman: Godbomb Arc>AllStarSuperman. :3

Also, he's asking for Marvel titles, not DC.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@beaconofstrength: I still haven't got around to reading god bomb. I don't even like Thor but I hear its good.

and yes I understand he asked for Marvel, I gave him the best. Problem? :)

OP please don't limit yourself to just marvel. I recommend looking into DC/Valiant/Image/Dark Horse/IDW.

For titles I would say. Superman Unchained. Eternal warrior. Unity. XO manowar. Invincible. And TMNT.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@allstarsuperman: I have no issue, but he wants to start out with a character he's interested in. In my opinion, it's probably best to start out with a comic with your favorite character in it. Familiarize yourself with their universe, then get into other companies. Well, that's what I did, and it worked pretty well for me.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

If you really are that interested in Thor then try out JMS' run on Thor. His run got me interested in THor in the first place and since then I just love the character. His representation of the character is my favorite and after that is the current Jason Aaron run. You can try out both volumes, they are both great. You will love them.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't recommend anything before Marvel NOW (individual comics can probably be found In the characters individual pages here at comic vine...).