• 105 results
Posted by G-Man (30642 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of real-life superheroes isn't something new. We've heard mention of actual people dressing up and fighting crime. HBO is premiering a documentary on these real-life superheroes (RLSH) and their attempt to save humanity.

Debuting tonight, August 8 from 9:00-10:30 ET/PT exclusively on HBO, real-life caped crusaders wearing masks, homemade costumes and fancy utility belts from New York to San Diego are profiled.

It turns out there are currently more than 300 registered superheroes in the United States. How and where they become registered is something you'll most likely have to watch in order to find out. The documentary includes candid interviews, patrol footage, archival material and motion graphics.

Along with spotlights on some of the country's more famous masked heroes such as San Diego's Mr. Xtreme and members of Brooklyn's New York Initiative (N.Y.I.), there's also interviews with Stan Lee, Lt. Andrea Brown, a 24-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department and Robin Rosenberg, a clinical psychologist and expert on the psychology of superheroes, both real-life and fictional.

== TEASER ==

The documentary will re-air on HBO, as well as on HBO2. Check out the trailer.

Would you ever consider being a real-life superhero?

Staff
#1 Posted by TheLastLantern (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't they just start a neighborhood watch like everyone else?
#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32705 posts) - - Show Bio

SMH

#3 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

...Dang I wish I had HBO...
#4 Posted by NightFang (9871 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheLastLantern said:
Because that's to normal for them. 
#5 Posted by thorwhore (36 posts) - - Show Bio

And once again...I'am cursed with the fact that I dont have HBO.

#6 Posted by Puvi2Groovy (6 posts) - - Show Bio

We are in dire need of superheroes in London with all these riots atm. JLI anyone?

#7 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

hey at least they will have one thing in common with comic book heroes....they die often. only their will be no ''aftermath one shots" for them.

#8 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_fallen11 said:
hey at least they will have one thing in common with comic book heroes....they die often. only their will be no ''aftermath one shots" for them.
Zingo!!!!
#9 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

oooo this actually looks really interesting. Definitely going to check this out tonight...If I'm not watching Breaking Bad.

#10 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I do believe they are a product of the, "Timeout" form of punishment.

#11 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

saw this story on io9 a few days back. I believe their title was "everyone in this movie will die." Granted, we ALL will eventually, but they meant... you know. The kids in Brooklyn look like they could put up a fight, but i really think that guy in the silver BMX pads(?) probably has Asperger's, and the guy with the "supermobile" has a midlife crisis. There was a trailer with the silver padding guy listing all his superpowers and running across the street between cars, but it was marked as private.

Longer Trailer
  These guys seem slightly more apt to survive. 
#12 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

just set the dvr and got a half hour to wait, thanks for the heads up G-Man :)

#13 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. Will check it out.

#14 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

HA! Know what I'm doing tonight.

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (62 posts) - - Show Bio

It just started..

Already this Xtreme guy is apparently a manchild who watches Power Rangers all day in his broken disheveled home.

Normal people look up at heroes and want to be cops, agents, soldiers, or doctors...

This dude needs help. Oh and now we have Stan Lee to give us his two cents. Amazing.

#16 Posted by CrimsonInuTears (465 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the fact that the cops just overlook the fact that vigilanteisum is STILL illegal. ^_^

#17 Posted by Icon (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

These people represent fandom taken a little too far.

#18 Posted by Doctorchimp (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only does Master Legend keep frozen Bolis in the back of his raper van to give kids treats....he also drinks one for the road when he can.

GREAT

#19 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:

I do believe they are a product of the, "Timeout" form of punishment.

I believe SUPER Nanny was the first of the real super hero, she favored that particular form of punishment, I wonder if that's the method these guys use when they catch "Super Villains?" ... "C'mon Hobgoblin! into the nuaghty corner, that's not acceptable!"
#20 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually would like to see this, but alas no hbo... to be honest, im not sure why i still have cable, i never watch tv and it just takes me moniessss!

#21 Posted by Antonio_Blackheart (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

they going get kill
#22 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Watching now...wow

#23 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

dorks, they're just dorks. 
#24 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

I really respect people  that do actually try to be a real life superhero, but some of the people in the trailure seemed crazy

#25 Posted by The Stegman (23048 posts) - - Show Bio

it's times like this i wish i had HBO...oh well, i'll just watch it on the internet tomorrow 

GOD BLESS THE DIGITAL AGE

#26 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

When Stan Lee tells you you're screwing up, you better listen.

#27 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

And once again, the day is saved, thanks to Captain Extreme-O, who has stopped the jaywalker from crossing a rather busy street during happy hour.

Meanwhile, in the real life, men are talking to women and vice versa

#28 Posted by christopherson329 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Virgins assemble

#29 Posted by thedevilhunter (166 posts) - - Show Bio

kick-ass any one?......so anyway i think the best hero should be someone that is great at parkour, is a day job as a cop, is has a crazy high IQ

#30 Posted by jNerd (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks G-Man, I'm going to watch this tonight. I wouldn't have known it was on if it wasn't for you!

#31 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't berate them for doing something most of you are scared to do or doing something that makes them happy.

#32 Edited by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

:sigh: Sadly, I think about it way more than is actually healthy. I missed the first showing but I am recording the next one in the morning. I am a bit afraid I'd be convinced and try to do this. Seriously.

#33 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Who watches the neighborhood watch comity? Someday all of the sins and corruption of middle class suburbia will foam up , the soccer moms and girls scouts will look up and ask polity "Will you please get my cat off of that tree?" and I'll whisper no.  

#34 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
Don't berate them for doing something most of you are scared to do or doing something that makes them happy.
Exactly. Honestly, these are people that wanted to see a change and they're acting on it. It takes more balls then most have. 
#35 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:
@iLLituracy said:
Exactly. Honestly, these are people that wanted to see a change and they're acting on it. It takes more balls then most have. 
How many of them are professionally trained to handle every situation possible? Comic books are not a complete reliable source for fighting crime. No one has made fun of them for actually helping people, that's fine and very noble, but dressing up in outfits that serve no purpose other than to  draw attention to them is rather pointless.
#36 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to do that now =)

#37 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@Burnstar1230 said:
@Lance Uppercut said:
@iLLituracy said:
How many of them are professionally trained to handle every situation possible? Comic books are not a complete reliable source for fighting crime. No one has made fun of them for actually helping people, that's fine and very noble, but dressing up in outfits that serve no purpose other than to  draw attention to them is rather pointless.
Such as? A lot of beat cops aren't trained to handle every single situation that comes up either. They're just paid better and get to carry a gun. That being said, they wanted to see a change and they're acting on it in what they believe the most efficient way possible. No one berates you for your choices. 
#38 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
Who watches the neighborhood watch comity? Someday all of the sins and corruption of middle class suburbia will foam up , the soccer moms and girls scouts will look up and ask polity "Will you please get my cat off of that tree?" and I'll whisper no.  
I laughed.
#39 Posted by TVN (108 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to have to catch the repeat. 

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting. Wish I actually had HBO to watch this now.

#41 Edited by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

now i'm only 15 minutes in right now so maybe things will turn around but this documentary seems to really be portraying these people as 2 parts insane for every 1 part pathetic. i mean going out and doing good is great but the way they do it and how they believe in it seems incredibly delusional.  

EDIT: he just said he had honest to God superpowers and keeps "tastiful"  treats in his windowless-unmarked-van for children

#42 Posted by FNspiderdan (38 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait for this haha. makes me want to put on a mask

#43 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio

That's AWESOME! 

RUDY APPROVES!

#44 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the guy with the "Super Mobile" at the comic con.  I thought he was a cosplay guy.  Almost took his picture.

Seriously though, I agree with Stan Lee.  I worry about them, and their safety.

#45 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I take back what I said earlier about these people being dorks.  They're trying to do something good.  Most of them were stupid as hell how they approached it and Im surpised we didn't one get himself killed on the doc from being so damn stupid.  They are all strange tho.  ALL OF THEM.
#46 Posted by ARMIV2 (8282 posts) - - Show Bio

We talk all day long about heroes, but when some guys dress up and try to be... 

Man, I wish I had HBO now.

#47 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been hyped for this!  

@TheLastLantern said:

Because they want to get violent?
#48 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

The BBC has this as well, I think we started it TBH

Its terrible.. truly terrible..

#49 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit, there's a part of this I really liked.

and a part that made me think of where this goes from here that's still going hmmm.

My initial guess is this is only the beginning :)

#50 Posted by War Killer (19971 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

Its terrible.. truly terrible..

Agreed. These aren't superheroes, these are just fat people and/or people with no life dressing up and taking their neighborhood watch to the extreme.