Hawkguy Rant: Does anyone really like Scott Lobdell?

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, as I'm sure all of us know, there's this guy named Scott Lobdell out there writing a handful of New52 titles, and in my humble opinion, he and all of his books have been complete and utter garbage since he's put his pen to the paper. I'm not too familiar with his works before New52 but I have read enough of his titles recently to know he's probably one of the worst in the business.

I'm not sure where to begin... The turning of Starfire from a beloved and powerful female character to a sex toy for Rocafort to draw in all sorts of overly sexualized poses while acting downright unintelligent. Or maybe the destruction and de-personalization of the BEST teen team. OR MAYBE we'll talk about how much of a tool Roy Harper has become, not to mention the sad excuse called Jason Todd now that we have. Lastly, his Superman... Oh god, his Superman. I'll skip over Superboy because he wasn't on that too too long, but I've got to say, I've never hated a Superman comic more than I do now.

I get this is a universe reboot and some characters are fairly young, but seriously... Superman doesn't act the way he's supposed to anymore. When I'm reading Lobdell's work, I can hardly recognize the guy and it makes me sick. I'm surprised he's been on the book so long considering he's butchering the character. Dialogue, morals and the overall element of Superman is gone and has been replaced by something I couldn't even describe in kind words. I mean, there's a point in time when Clark's contemplating between Lana, Lois and Diana!! I don't remember Superman thinking about which girl he wants to be with more or being a d*ck about women since his superdickery days!

Also, whats up with the omnipresent narrarator? I'm shocked that a guy like Lobdell has so many titles considering he writes like he's stuck in the 80s, with thought bubbles and a complete lack of cinematics. That, along with Rocaforts displeasing art (in my opinion) completely turns me off of titles that I'd love to read considering these are some of my favorite characters in all of comics.

I'm disheartened to see Teen Titans end, I'd really love if it didn't, but at least we don't have to deal with Lobdells bull anymore, and once he's off Superman, between Johns and Pak, we may just have Superman back in form.

As a side note, the reason I dislike Rocafort:

No Caption Provided

Bottom left corner... what is she doing? Do women EVER do that? Nope. I can't stand Rocaforts epic oversexualization of females, it looks really bad.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Lobdell is a horrible writer and person.

BB

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't sold on Red Hood and the Outlaws when I read the first volume. But after reading the second and third I actually thought he did a good job especially the ending of volume 3. However every other title I've read of his...hasn't been very good.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By lifeboy

Yes, I like Scott Lobdells writing. Did you know that superman has already saved the entire city of metropolis twice during scotts run? This puts Superman as the foundation of new 52. Well, its a good start anyway.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@billy_batson: Agreed. Worthless writer, and a spiteful angry man who can't take criticism. He's a major d-bag.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

You pretty much summed it up. I really cannot stand Lobell's writing. The only thing I've like of his has been a fraction of Red Hood and the Outlaws. But even then, I was not at all a fan of his portrayals of Roy and Starfire. Only his Jason is passable in my eyes - except when he added all of that All Caste ridiculousness to his origin.

And Lobell's Teen Titans... That is just abysmal. I could look past everything else he's written (to an extent) and still not think terribly of his writing if not for his Teen Titans. It saddens me that the title continued to sell well throughout Lobell's run despite what an utter disgrace it was.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved LOVED his work on the X-Men back in 90's but other than his work on RHatO I haven't liked his DC stuff

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@billy_batson: Agreed. Worthless writer, and a spiteful angry man who can't take criticism. He's a major d-bag.

He's even worse in real life.

BB

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I don't like it, but I don't have much opinion, since the New52 titles he is writing, I didn't care about at all (except Action Comics)

HOWEVER... besides the ridiculesness of most of you pic... Supes inner monologue... WOW, that's exactly How I used to picture Superman...somewhere between Adam Wests Batman and The Donner superman movies..\

not saying I like it, but I can see Adam West playing superman and narrating his thoughts like that.... or maybe William Shatner narrating it for one of those generic 60s and 70s superhero cartoons.

yeah its awful, but I got a huge laugh out of it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Starfire has always acted like a whore. I don't get why everyone is so upset about something we've all known. She walks around naked for gods sake!

But I personally loved his run on Red Hood and the Outlaws! It is an incredibly fun read and easily one of my favorite books of the New 52.

Superboy and Teen Titans are pretty meh. They're fun to read but nothing to spectacular.

I do like his first Superman story, H'El on Earth. Haven't read anything past it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JulieDC

I actually liked his Red Hood and the Outlaws and it's not like he was the worst writer on that series but what he did with the Teen Titans left me very very cold. I also couldn't get into his use of thought bubbles with Superman always makes me think I'm in an 80s comic which for some I'm sure that's okay, but we have plenty of 80s comics, I want something modern like monologue boxes.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JakeN7
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: Oh! And his "apology." The standard "I'm sorry you were offended" deflection. With the way he treats women, it's not surprising how he writes them so poorly (Starfire, anyone?)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love Rocaforts art. not a fan of the women like showed, he also gave a 14 or 15 year old Supergirl huge boobs. As more Lobdell, I enjoyed H'el on Earth and the first trade of Redhood.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I ain't got no problem with the dude. Although he tends to come down on himself to much on the CV podcasts. His Teen Titans stuff is horrible though.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dondave

He's Awesome

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

@jaken7 said:

@billy_batson: You met him in real life?

No, but there's always the MariNaomi fiasco.

BB

Yeah I'd recently read about that. That combined with the comments he's had on this site is more than enough to show what kind of person he is.

I mean... we're the internet... you can't seriously take what we say to heart and rage over it.

On a separate note, I guess I'm the minority when it comes to his Red Hood run. I personally couldn't stand reading Starfire and Harper the way they were written, it just irked me. And again, Teen Titans... week after week I felt the aster.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hawkguy

@transformers1024 said:

Starfire has always acted like a whore. I don't get why everyone is so upset about something we've all known. She walks around naked for gods sake!

No Caption Provided

Never have I seen Starfire shown this way.... And correct me if I'm wrong, but she slept with Roy right after this? Yeah that definitely moved the plot or was meaningful or was done for any reason other than to be... sexual? I don't even know! But that's why this was a rant! I don't need to have clear cut explanations for my distaste in something! Hah!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Haven't read any of his New 52 work. Quite enjoyed Generation X back in the 90's though. That's as far as my opinion of him goes.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a bad person and an awful writer

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TT is being cancelled, ey? Wow, I always find stuff out way after the fact on here. Everyone probably has their own opinion of which characters are "big", but this is probably the highest profile cancellation yet. That's a GD shame. Not because of the specifics of the book -- it's Lobdell's worst book IMO. (And even though Superman is my favorite character, I think TT was the "furthest from the ideal" of his books). It's a shame because we're going to be losing so many good characters. Robin may see time in a bat-book, and one of the Superboys will be in his own title...but all the others are hard-pressed to pop-up elsewhere (given the new relations they have to other characters, post-52). Johns' TT vol3 (last pre-52 TT book) was one of my favorite all-time "runs", and Lobdell managed to make the team uninteresting & unlike-able.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling him a terrible writer and all that is a bit too much. Just because you guys don't like his work doesn't mean other people out there feel the same. Also calm down with the character bashing. He's human like the rest of us and I'm sure that we've all done or said some really stupid things that we really wish we could take back.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: I wish they'd given the book to another writer and not cancelled it. The Teen Titans were one of the more interesting teams (before Lobdell) because they weren't all about business like the Justice League seems to be. They had downtime and developed into great characters. The only good news coming out of it is that Lobdell's name is gone from the cover of another comic book.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: Yea, they were representative of young-people in a positive & relate-able manner. In the n52 they represented the worst of the "let's make everyone broody" BS.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: You've never seen Starfire this way? I can tell you don't read any comics with her then.

(I'd post these pics if my iPad would post them. So instead here's the links to the pics)

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62498/1682053-comic_starfire1.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62498/1682054-comic_starfire12.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ujpjtWv31qffk9go2_500.jpg

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: No, it's not a bit much. There is absolutely no redeeming quality to his writing. He got lucky with some of his Red Hood work, but that's it. And yes, he is a pretty despicable person as well. Everyone makes mistakes sure (and I actually applaud Lobdell for getting in front of the sexual harassment stuff by outing himself as the a-hole), but it's not a mistake to have a shi**y personality and act like a bully to your fans, that's just who he is.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Lobdell beats puppies until they croak out the plot of the next Superman issue.

@hawkguy: You've never seen Starfire this way? I can tell you don't read any comics with her then.

(I'd post these pics if my iPad would post them. So instead here's the links to the pics)

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62498/1682053-comic_starfire1.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/62498/1682054-comic_starfire12.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ujpjtWv31qffk9go2_500.jpg

Have you actually read Lobdell's Starfire? The biggest offense isn't that she acts like a "whore"; she's been an openly sexual character for a while prior to that. The biggest offense is that Lobdell's Starfire was a vapid bimbo whose primary reason for having sex all the time was that her memory wasn't long-lived enough to remember the last time she had sex and with whom. Are you telling me that's what she's always been like?

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Of course I've read it; that's why I'm defending it. But I'm trying to make the point that she's always been an oversexed character and she will always continue to be one. Yes I will admit that it was a bit sudden for her to hook up with Roy, even though they had known each other prior to that meeting weather she "remembers" it or not. But it was one time and was only mentioned in a few panels anyway, that's not a good enough reason for everyone to make a claim saying Lobdell is a crappy writer who didn't know what he was doing with the Outlaws at all (though I will admit he doesn't with Teen Titans). And in my honest opinion after that scene was all said and done with, I think he wrote a very interesting new take on a familiar character.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not even the origin and personality changes he did its just the story's are complete trash, its bored, seems like the story goes no where. I've read all of his new 52 work and the story doesn't pull me in even though he's writing my favorite character