#1 Edited by madtitan2112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but i think art like this is terrible for superhero comics. sure the artist is talented and his work may be good for certain books but i feel that superhero comic art should be more dynamic and maybe a little flashy. sometimes it feels like there is such a push back against the overdone art of the nineties that publishers decided to turn to minimalist crap.

#2 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye isn't really a superhero book.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33049 posts) - - Show Bio

your opinion =/= my opinion

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you have examples that show why it doesn't work?

#5 Edited by madtitan2112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

He is and has always been a superhero any attempt to make him otherwise begins to ruin the character. if you want to tell a story about a street level guy with no costume that uses a bow to stop thugs make that character don't crap all over existing ones.

#6 Edited by madtitan2112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by Petite_Oiseau (242 posts) - - Show Bio

It's perfect for that book.

I wouldn't even term Hawkeye as a superhero book, tbh. It's so thoroughly character-driven and it's not these wide-reaching arcs. It's basically Clint screwing up and then him and Kate going to fix it.

#8 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I sort of agree, compared to masters like Jim Lee etc. this is not even near as good. But it still works.

#9 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

@madtitan2112: Oh. I kinda meant do you have links to pictures of it? I don't read it, so I have no idea what the art is like.

#10 Posted by VeganDiet (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

The art worked perfectly fine for that Iron Fist book.

The art is great. Can't see why you have a problem with it.

#11 Posted by madtitan2112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

just don't like it. seems more fitted to indy books. i love hawkeye and that does not seem like him.

#12 Posted by Skyfire (726 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye is basically an indy book within Marvel anyway. So I feel it works.

#13 Edited by Teerack (5840 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkguy has the best art out of any Marvel title right now.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33049 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

He is and has always been a superhero any attempt to make him otherwise begins to ruin the character. if you want to tell a story about a street level guy with no costume that uses a bow to stop thugs make that character don't crap all over existing ones.

Oh ok, sounds like you prefer your characters as one-dimensional "sooper-heroes." Don't worry, there's like 459 other comics that fit the bill you're looking for. Just be sure to tune out when Hawkeye carries home an Eisner or two.

#16 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I sort of agree, compared to masters like Jim Lee etc. this is not even near as good. But it still works.

There's not really anybody consistently drawing in comics right now that approaches Jim Lee territory. Joe Mad is apparently coming back though...

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than the one on your av or the other artists mentioned in this thread.

BB

#18 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3528 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I like the art. I might check this title out since it seems interesting. Thanks for sharing the panels.

#19 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big fan of the Uncanny art.

Beware the evil Condomman!!!!!
http://redheadedmule.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/uncanny-xmen-vol03-001-cyclops-new-team.jpg

#20 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3528 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Yeah, I used to like Bachalo, but his characters all look fat and bloated now. And I don't like Magik or Emma's outfits.

#21 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7820 posts) - - Show Bio

There is art I prefer over Hawkeye, but it does fit the tone of the comic. I mean, look at Mignola's art. If you put him as the artist for Superman it would look horrid, but it fits Hellboy perfectly.

#22 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye is a hero in every book except his. I feel the art fits for the story being told. If it were a busy book like The Avengers, I would probably agree with you.

#23 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Howard_Go (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: yes everything you said just yes! If you can't tell I love hawkeye the arts actually my favorite part it's so flexible with the book

#25 Edited by JakeN7 (11731 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the art is good. Reason 1: the vast majority of people agree. Reason 2: it's award nominated art.

Not every comic book needs flashy outfits and vivid colors. I like the art they used for the Hawkeye series. It suits Fractions writing for the book and adds a nice variety to my pull list.

#27 Posted by Dabee (2386 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but i think art like this is terrible for superhero comics. sure the artist is talented and his work may be good for certain books but i feel that superhero comic art should be more dynamic and maybe a little flashy. sometimes it feels like there is such a push back against the overdone art of the nineties that publishers decided to turn to minimalist crap.

First of all, I think the art is great for anything. However, let's also not forget that it's not really a superhero comic. Hawkeye has no superpowers, and the book is really about his life away from the Avengers. The art really fits the book perfectly, and I could easily see it in any type of comic. David Aja's art suits the tone perfectly, along with all other guest/temporary artists/colorists/inkers/letterers/etc. I could list them all, but Aja's name appears second for the majority of the issues. (No offense Javier Pulido, you're really good too.)

#28 Edited by The Stegman (23948 posts) - - Show Bio

It's perfect for that book.

I wouldn't even term Hawkeye as a superhero book, tbh. It's so thoroughly character-driven and it's not these wide-reaching arcs. It's basically Clint screwing up and then him and Kate going to fix it.

This. The art perfectly represents the tone of the book.

#29 Posted by RustyRoy (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the art, it perfectly matches the tone of the book. It also reminds me of the classic spy stories. Its unique and fun.

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

All a matter of opinion personally the artwork in ms marvel (Andrade), iron man (land), captain america (Romita jr), and thunderbolts (dillon) makes my eyes bleed.

#32 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

Its great for the book. And now with one of the best artists in comics today, Frencesco Francavilla on board Im sure the issues hes on will be stellar.

#33 Posted by Queso6p4 (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@madtitan2112: I'll admit I wasn't fond of it at all at first but over time it's grown on me and I feel it suits the book. I still don't like it per se, I just think it fits.

@dh69 said:

All a matter of opinion personally the artwork in ms marvel (Andrade), iron man (land), captain america (Romita jr), and thunderbolts (dillon) makes my eyes bleed.

Heh. I definitely feel you on the Captain Marvel art. The artists change so much that it makes it hard to know what to expect from the book. This was brought up in the letters column twice at least (one reader didn't like it and one wrote in and rebutted) and I like Sana's response to both. Like Hawkeye, even though I'm not too fond of the art, Captain Marvel has a good bit of other stuff going for it that carry the title and help me get over the art.

#34 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5383 posts) - - Show Bio

It fits the books tone, works for me. The Capt. Marvel art took adjusting to, it's like reading a fairy tale or something but it also works in a way. The Marvel house style of the 90s-early 2000s is gone and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

#35 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Dig the vertigo vibe

#36 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats two different artist

Just looking at those pages, it looks a little unconventional, but not bad. Maybe I'd feel different reading a whole story of it though.

#37 Posted by Cap10nate (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

While I admittedly prefer the realistic art like Steve Epting's work, Aja's work is very fitting for this book and enhances it in a way that a 'realistic' artist could not.

#38 Posted by impossibilly (885 posts) - - Show Bio

OP, you cray.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33049 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I'm not a fan of the art very much at all. (I don't think it's bad, just not great).

But it works fairly well for the book.

#41 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise said:

Thats two different artist

I know but it's still art from the book

Yeh I didn't liked the art from issues 4, 5, 7, and 10 that much. I feel like the artists from those issues (I can't remember the names, they rotated) were attempting to mimic Aja's style. That first scan from issue looks like a, not to insult the artist, "cheap" cartoon.

#42 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise:

I think the book definitely misses something without Aja on art. But the artist on #10, Francesco Francavilla, is amazing. I wouldn't say he was mimicking Aja's style so much as making it his own as evidenced by the pulpy noir style of that issue.

#43 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big fan of his style

#44 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

So I saw this thread the other day so I decided to go read some Hawkeye to see the art for myself.

I can say this, if your comparing the art to something Jim lee would do you're going to be disappointed. The art in this book isn't bad its just a different style, It actually looks to me that its a mix of The Flash and Wonder Womans art.

I've only read 2 issues so far so I don't know if the art changes later.