Nope.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By kidchipotle

Before I get heated over the mess that is "DC Comics -- The New 52" (which I think is ridiculous that that is how they refer to the current state of their company now rather than just "DC" or "DCU")

Yes, I have lost complete faith in DC. Up until a month ago, my DC pull had been shrinking more and more but now I have dropped all DC titles and don't plan on returning to them any time soon.

I currently only read Marvel, Image, and Valiant books.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

In comics hell no but in movies I'm becoming less and less interested/hopeful.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prepare the pre 52 as for the majority but New 52 has done quite a bit of good. They had more years to expand on stuff pre 52...Can't really get mad at them.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my thing with DC. Where is the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold movie? Hell, it doesn't even have to be live action....give me a Blue Beetle and Boodter Gold animated movie or even animated series. DC seems to be stuck in "darkness mode". In trying to make their universe darker it is like they forgot how to have fun.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my thing with DC. Where is the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold movie? Hell, it doesn't even have to be live action....give me a Blue Beetle and Boodter Gold animated movie or even animated series. DC seems to be stuck in "darkness mode". In trying to make their universe darker it is like they forgot how to have fun.

That is my problem with them. I want to enjoy their characters, not watch them be consistently dreary and depressing. This is what Marvel has over DC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had any faith in them to begin with.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Yeah. DC has completely alienated me.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I only like Red Hood and the Outlaws, Swamp Thing and surprisingly I'm really enjoying Futures End.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RustyRoy

No.

I lost faith in humanity a long time ago. By extension DC is included in humanity.

And so are you lol.

emad_ishtiaque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting there. The Forever evil storyline was pretty disappointing (the end specially).

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#62 frozen  Moderator

A reboot was quite silly in all fairness.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 frozen  Moderator

@g_leno said:

@lateralus said:

That is my problem with them. I want to enjoy their characters, not watch them be consistently dreary and depressing. This is what Marvel has over DC.

Not true, Marvel ventured into the childishness route, e.g. Iron Man 3. And in 2008, TDK was the perfect blend, that's why it overshadowed the first Iron Ma.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Cloakx14

no. actually i'm more interested in DC than ever before.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

With all their current problems, they've had as many good titles as before. Marvel currently has an edge with their in universe books but as a whole DC is better with the Vertigo stuff.

BB

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I wonder if DC will get more of a creative push when it moves to California next year. I saw article that hints at new and upcoming writers as of next year.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@g_leno said:

@lateralus said:

Not true, Marvel ventured into the childishness route, e.g. Iron Man 3. And in 2008, TDK was the perfect blend, that's why it overshadowed the first Iron Ma.

So are you trying to say that TDK is a nice fun film to watch when you want to be entertained? Its dreary, dark(that's in the title), and very hard work. Its a serious film, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is most certainly not fun. Just because Marvel has a bit of a chuckle thrown in doesn't warrant it being called childish. I wasn't talking about film anyway, the comics that DC pump out are not as good as Marvel because they just aren't as entertaining. Its sad that Larfleeze sales are low, as that is one book that NEEDS to be kept going as one of the only light-hearted DC titles.

Obviously not all titles should be the same, but I have a friend who loves the Nolan 'dark and gritty' feel, but cancelled Batman off his pull list because he gets bored of every page being dull and mostly grey/black, when he can read Green lantern books and every page has nice colourful spreads and it was even better ant the start of GL: New Guardians when all the colours were in the team.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yes in some ways. No in others. I have been reading less since the New 52 tho.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

@god_spawn said:

Yes in some ways. No in others. I have been reading less since the New 52 tho.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edit: current wally west is making me lose faith in DC.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I've lost faith in DC when it comes to certain area's, like;

• 'Young Justice': Nearly every single young character and team books have been cancelled and most of them with words like 'disaster' tagged onto them.
  • Post-Generation X characters: There seems to be a general trend within DC that they want to maintain as much of the Gen X characters as possible, those that rose to popularity after them however have nearly all recieved a huge amount of makeovers on nearly every level.
  • Wonder Woman: Aside her solo-book (which is the best DC has to offer atm thanks to Azzarello), DC as a whole doesnt appear to want to bring her up to a level where she is held at the same level as the two other Trinity members.
  • I am loosing my faith in DC when it's coming to their Dark books, for the longest time this corner of the New 52 was the best place to find good stories, but it's now being ruined by DC's insistence on brining it out of it's corner and give it a more mainstream approach (which just shows DC has no idea why these books were good).
  • Events, events and more gimmicks; While the first year of the New 52 was relatively free of them (save for 2), right now it just feels like everything is either just recovering from an event or crashing around in one.
  • Gritty, grim dark. Is there a corner of DC where things look positive atm?
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: So you've given up on DC now? Damn they must have gotten to you in the end. I don't blame you though and quite frankly there are days I feel the same way.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lvenger: I disagree, the New-52 has already influenced Superman's movie, without New-52 Superman would not have gotten the movie he finally deserved, the New-52 has rebranded Superman and influenced the movies.

Without New-52, we probably would not have gotten these fight scenes:

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Really? You use Man of Steel to justify the movie that Superman deserves? You do know who you're talking to right? :P And I have criticisms of the fight scenes too you know. They were unnecessarily over the top, crammed into the last 45 minutes and played on terrorist destruction fears in an attempt to seem edgy and realistic. Not exactly the best use of a fight scene in all honesty. Rewatching the fights, I have to say that they aren't nearly as good as I thought they were or as everyone thinks they are.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger: But that's how Superman fights, it's representative of the comics and to be fair, it was quite fun in the way to which they fought. MOS also took inspiration from Birthright as well as the New-52 so it did that story justice too.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Lateralus

This is pretty much sums up Man of Steel

No Caption Provided
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#77  Edited By SaintWildcard

I only started reading DC cus of the new 52. I tried Marvel Now but didn't like what I read so I dropped all my Marvel titles. Now what I read is 95% DC

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emad_ishtiaque: whaaaaat! The end was great. It ended with a big fight and a new villian introduction. The delay is was the biggest downfall

For me DC is better than ever. All my pull list is dc and I periodically pick God of Thunder. Futures end looks awesome but I will wait for the trade and im super excited for Romata Jr to jump on superman. Wonder if this will be a short run or if he will be the artist for the foreseeable future?

Marvel has ruined it for me because of crappy events (age of ultron). Infinity was easily the best event for any company in a long time IMO but I am also a big black bolt and thanos fan

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure I understand most of the reasoning in this thread. Don't get me wrong, everyone's entitled to their opinions, and if you don't like DC, that's fine. But really, no "Booster Gold Movie?" I can just see the folks at WB. "Know what would really help us? A movie about a character 1% of the population has heard of. Hey, that'll excite the folks at CV, and that's all that matters." If anything, I question Marvel's "wisdom" of coming out with GOTG movie. Just because a character(s) exist, doesn't mean a full length feature film about them is a good idea. I think most folks here forget that most of the population isn't as into comics as we are, and would have zero interest in a movie about Booster Gold or Zatanna or Martian Manhunter. And no, bringing up Iron Man is not a good analogy. Iron Man may not have been Marvel's most popular character, but he held his own title, every month, for 50 years, before the movie. That's not something you can say about any of those DC characters.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with some of the stuff they've done with the New 52, but seeing as I don't read a lot of DC's books it really doesn't apply to me (in the sense they weren't getting my money anyways so me not buying those thing I don't like doesn't really help).

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: All you (and DC apparently) see is the small picture. Marvel's "wisdom" is that it will at least earn its money back, so if nothing else it is a 2 hour advertisement for their comics. That's worst case scenario. That's why you make a movie only 1% of the population has heard of. How many people heard of Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim or Hellboy or even Blade before those were made into films? You're right also, not every character should have a movie mostly because not all bring something to the table. A Blue Beetle/Booster Gold title does however offer something up that DC does not have right now, and that is just pure fun which is sorely missing from the "we need to make every character darker" DCCU.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

DC makes me feel as if they have very little care for me as a consumer and they have very little care for their own characters. I feel as if all DC wants is my money and once they've got that they don't care anymore. Whereas when I read image, valiant, marvel, and even dark horse I feel as if they actually care about making a good product and an enjoyable reading experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but they aren't consistent and only have a few really great titles

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Loving the new 52 for the most part. If Marvel had better art direction they may have been able to steal more of my business though.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee: So you've given up on DC now? Damn they must have gotten to you in the end. I don't blame you though and quite frankly there are days I feel the same way.

Yeah, hate to say it but the company I once loved like family is now dead to me. I just responded to another post of yours in similar fashion but the Wally West reveal was the final straw for me.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed their take on The Masters Of The Universe, actually. That's about it.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never have and I don't think I ever will.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: All you (and DC apparently) see is the small picture. Marvel's "wisdom" is that it will at least earn its money back, so if nothing else it is a 2 hour advertisement for their comics. That's worst case scenario. That's why you make a movie only 1% of the population has heard of. How many people heard of Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim or Hellboy or even Blade before those were made into films? You're right also, not every character should have a movie mostly because not all bring something to the table. A Blue Beetle/Booster Gold title does however offer something up that DC does not have right now, and that is just pure fun which is sorely missing from the "we need to make every character darker" DCCU.

While I appreciate the personal insult of being a small picture guy, I still think my point is valid. Even in your cherry-picked examples, Scott Pilgrim lost money. Want to talk about the rousing success of Judge Dredd? The Spirit? A BG movie could that way just as easily as it could turn into KIck-Ass or Blade. And if you had to write the check for it, I bet you'd care more about the potential audience. Neither you or I have any idea if Marvel will earn it's money back on GOTG. It could flop, ya know. It may not, but it is possible. Either way, I hardly think not making a BG movie is a reason to lose faith in DC. BG can't even hold his own comic. And I like BG. When Dan Jurgens created him, with his Legion-era roots and all, I bought every single issue of the original run. Maybe a BB/BG flick done right would be fun, but passing on it hardly makes one "small picture." In fact, I think that's something you do after you establish your big guns. You didn't see Marvel making GOTG before IM, CA, Hulk, Thor and The Avengers. Yet, DC's suppose to do that with BG before it's established Batman, WW, Flash and GL in the cinematic DCU?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dc used to be my universe before the New 52,I only collect one title from Dc and it's not very good and that's Red Hood.I'm giving them one more chance because they're bringing back Helena Bertinelli but if they screw that up which i'm almost sure they will i'm done all together

JTHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@daredevil21134: I didn't know Helena was being brought back. I saw Ted Kord came back, but he looked young as Jaime Reyes.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jthood said:

@daredevil21134: I didn't know Helena was being brought back. I saw Ted Kord came back, but he looked young as Jaime Reyes.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

@frozen said:

@g_leno said:

@lateralus said:

So are you trying to say that TDK is a nice fun film to watch when you want to be entertained? Its dreary, dark(that's in the title), and very hard work. Its a serious film, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is most certainly not fun. Just because Marvel has a bit of a chuckle thrown in doesn't warrant it being called childish. I wasn't talking about film anyway, the comics that DC pump out are not as good as Marvel because they just aren't as entertaining. Its sad that Larfleeze sales are low, as that is one book that NEEDS to be kept going as one of the only light-hearted DC titles.

Obviously not all titles should be the same, but I have a friend who loves the Nolan 'dark and gritty' feel, but cancelled Batman off his pull list because he gets bored of every page being dull and mostly grey/black, when he can read Green lantern books and every page has nice colourful spreads and it was even better ant the start of GL: New Guardians when all the colours were in the team.

While it most definitely isn't lighthearted it is enjoyable (fun) to watch. It's not "very hard work" to watch, unless you have the mental capacity of a peanut (which is about zilch). Marvel films are called childish because they are. They are goofy, plot-hole laden empty films with mediocre acting, uninspired directing/screenwriting and are just pretty meh in general. Only like an 8 year old would call them "good". This doesn't apply to all of them of course, but the majority of them. And this is coming from a Marvel fan.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@g_leno said:

Your friend should check out the current Detective Comics (or Batman '66) if he wants more colorful Batman.

BB

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character have always been amazing to me but before new52 I didn't really read much of their stuff...it seemed outdated to me...

I like what the 52 is about....

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not sure I understand most of the reasoning in this thread. Don't get me wrong, everyone's entitled to their opinions, and if you don't like DC, that's fine. But really, no "Booster Gold Movie?" I can just see the folks at WB. "Know what would really help us? A movie about a character 1% of the population has heard of. Hey, that'll excite the folks at CV, and that's all that matters." If anything, I question Marvel's "wisdom" of coming out with GOTG movie. Just because a character(s) exist, doesn't mean a full length feature film about them is a good idea. I think most folks here forget that most of the population isn't as into comics as we are, and would have zero interest in a movie about Booster Gold or Zatanna or Martian Manhunter. And no, bringing up Iron Man is not a good analogy. Iron Man may not have been Marvel's most popular character, but he held his own title, every month, for 50 years, before the movie. That's not something you can say about any of those DC characters.

I don't think that most of the (rational) grievances that fans have with DC really boil down to "This obscure character hasn't been in a movie." Because, like you said, it just isn't rational for DC to be aiming for those sorts of movies at this point in time.

But, speaking for myself, I'd say that the biggest problem with DC and the reason one might lose faith in the company is a general disrespect for its characters. Sure, there's the general "DC only uses Batman and Superman" argument. I don't think it's the best rational to bash on DC in the world, but it is something. One might say that DC tried with lesser-known characters like Vibe, Blue Beetle, Voodoo etc. But at the end of the day, DC didn't try hard enough to make those titles something that people would want to read. When you're releasing collectively 20 or so Batman and Superman titles with your best creative teams and then you throw out Blue Beetle with a horrible/unknown team, you're begging for it to be cancelled. DC needs to learn to take gambles with its creative teams. Put their best writers on character with potential and let the writers bring in the audience, and then test out less well-known writers on bigger characters that fans are likely to read anyway. If fans respond positively to the lesser-known writer, put him/her on more titles in the future. If not, scrap him/her.

There's also the blatant disrespect with which DC treats its character's histories. *Insert my usual New 52 ruins characters, makes horrible changes 99% of the time, erases characters and brings them back drastically altered as shadows of their former selves*. Just look at the news from a few days ago where David S. Goyer made several obnoxious comments regarding She-Hulk and Martian Manhunter. I know that She-Hulk is Marvel, and that Goyer is involved in DC films and not the comics, but it's that sort of mentality that is the problem. DC needs writers and staff who respect all of its characters. If you don't respect a character's past, how can you expect fans who followed said character before to be willing to put up with you?

Then there's the declining quality of DC animated films, the last several of which have ranged from terrible (Flashpoint) to pretty bad (JL: War) to just okay (Son of Batman).

It seems that every direction I turn, I find another reason to be disappointed with DC. The reason that I fell in love with the DCU in the first place was because of its rich history. Every character had an elaborate backstory and history, with great supporting casts that spilled out to create new heroes distinct from the character's original role as a supporting character. Today, DC doesn't seem to care about any character except for its biggest names. Everybody else either doesn't need to exists, or can simply be changed such that nothing of the original interpretation remains.

I've gone a bit off-topic now, but my final point is this: it's not the fact that DC hasn't attempted a Booster Gold, or Zatanna, or Martian Manhunter film that bothers me. It's the fact that the minds behind DC just doesn't care about their characters, their writers, or their fans.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: Now, here's a complaint that makes sense. While Superman and Batman are obviously central to DC Comics, it's still called "DC Comics" and not "SuperBatMan Inc." Those two can still be the face of DC, but it doesn't have to be at the exclusion of everyone else. Now, I don't think the talent on the non-Bat- Non-Supes books is really that 2nd rate. Azzarello and Johns aren't 2nd rate., Lemire isn't 2nd rate, and so on.

I actually thought Flashpoint Paradox was a great movie.

I can't really make the conclusion that any of this means DC "doesn't care" about their fans.There's only so many marquee writers out there, and not all of them work for DC. If they start putting Snyder and Johns and so on on Martian Manhunter and Booster Gold books..who's going to write Batman and Superman? I can see why they may think those characters have to have their best talent on them. Now, there is a train of thought that says "Batman's going to sell anyhow. Put your better talent where it's needed more." Maybe true, but as much as some folks have lost faith in DC now, can you imagine what'd be like if Batman became a 2nd-rate book? (Before someone pipes in and says they already think it is, I'm talking about general perception, not individual opinions.) I don't know, but it's very difficult to please everyone. I personally, don't think most of my DC pulls are as good as they were last year. Most of my Marvel pulls have gotten better (granted, smaller sample size).

While risk-taking is great, and at times necessary. I also believe they have to be calculated risk. Superman and Batman have served DC well for 75 years. They have to be loyal to those guys. Not so sure it'd be in anyone's best interest to say "We're going all-out to make Martian Manhunter the next big thing!" If that fails, the complaints here and industry wide would be louder than anything in this thread. I can hear it now. "You put Superman and Batman in incompetent hands to focus on MM and BG? What the hell were you thinking?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poketherabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

They just seem to not care about some of their fans and it's destroying them. The new 52 started out pretty good, and then around issue 15 of everything they started taking the best writers/artists and throwing them in new or existing batman/superman titles. Why would I have faith in a company like that? All their characters and stories just seem to get worse and worse.

Seems like you haven't read any of the New 52 considering Forever Evil is considered the best storyline in the past year by several outlets.

Then again giving your posting history, you seem to have no idea what you're talking about.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

They just seem to not care about some of their fans and it's destroying them. The new 52 started out pretty good, and then around issue 15 of everything they started taking the best writers/artists and throwing them in new or existing batman/superman titles. Why would I have faith in a company like that? All their characters and stories just seem to get worse and worse.

Seems like you haven't read any of the New 52 considering Forever Evil is considered the best storyline in the past year by several outlets.

Then again giving your posting history, you seem to have no idea what you're talking about.

Hilarious un-ironical fanboy post.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's a 50/50 thing for me. In some ways I am way more interested in certain characters but for others I am not interested at all when before the New 52 started I was really interested in them. The New 52 is a mixed bag and people may take it differently, for me it's something that is not that different from DC's Earth pre-52 with some continuity problems.