#1 Posted by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

teased for being a comic book fan?

Even in a day of today, do you feel uncomfortable to let people know that you love comics/superheros?

#2 Edited by Strider92 (16602 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been teased about it but I don't publicly go around announcing i'm a fan of comics if someone asks i'll tell them but I don't feel uncomfortable about it. As far as i'm concerned its a hobby just like reading etc.....

#3 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty proud of reading all kinds of comic books, from more commercial ones to more artistic ones. It's a great synthesis of my two favourite art forms: visual representation and storytelling.

I don't advertise it any more than I advertise other hobbies, like drawing or playing cards, but I never hide it.

Have you?

#4 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (5311 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been made fun of for being a fan of Aquaman.

I then proceeded to pretend to be Aquaman during an Improvised Comedy Show at my college in order to display his powers. Several people came up to me after that show and told me that I had exposed Aquman's coolness to them, I then told em to read the New 52 Aquaman stories.

I'm also planning on starting a Comic Book Club here at my college, so I'm not really ashamed of it at all.

#5 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not uncomfortable with it, but I hate that no one else I know likes and I often feel alone because of it. I haven't been teased, though.

#6 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8057 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

I am pretty proud of reading all kinds of comic books, from more commercial ones to more artistic ones. It's a great synthesis of my two favourite art forms: visual representation and storytelling.

I don't advertise it any more than I advertise other hobbies, like drawing or playing cards, but I never hide it.

Exactly this.

#7 Posted by Deadgod (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruebarryallen said:

I've been made fun of for being a fan of Aquaman.

I then proceeded to pretend to be Aquaman during an Improvised Comedy Show at my college in order to display his powers. Several people came up to me after that show and told me that I had exposed Aquman's coolness to them, I then told em to read the New 52 Aquaman stories.

I'm also planning on starting a Comic Book Club here at my college, so I'm not really ashamed of it at all.

same here for being a Aquaman fan :/

#8 Edited by gunmetalgrey (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not teased. I'm envied.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been teased about it but I don't publicly go around announcing i'm a fan of comics if someone asks i'll tell them but I don't feel uncomfortable about it. As far as i'm concerned its a hobby just like reading etc.....

#10 Posted by BumpyBoo (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

Never. Not even a little :)

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by MonsterStomp (18203 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Most of my friends like comics just as much. Granted, most of them are Marvel fans and they give me the occasional crap for liking DC but hey, that's Marvel for ya ;P

#12 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a couple of times I was teased, but I mean, if people are so dumb as to judge others based on their hobbies (unless their hobbies are skinning people alive and such), their judgement is not really something to be bothered about.

What about you, @thorson?

#13 Posted by The Stegman (24629 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#14 Posted by Xwraith (18623 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that I can remember.

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, but it didn't matter because I gave it back to them better than they gave it to me.

#16 Posted by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg:

nope, i've worn shirts and have showed off my comic figures/box/posters. didn't really bother me.

#17 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#18 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6206 posts) - - Show Bio

No people know better ;)

#19 Posted by JediXMan (30702 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#20 Posted by lightsout (1830 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't get into them until college & I rarely talked to people (especially anything other than small-talk) so it really didn't come up (Though I did wear shirts & nothing was made of it). Although post-HS I don't think people really care. Especially since the comic-movies are so popular. It used to be it was thought that liking comics meant you were the ultimate fanatic bordering on an unhealthy obsession with them, but now people know that it can be a normal interest.

#21 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21932 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not uncomfortable with it, but I hate that no one else I know likes and I often feel alone because of it. I haven't been teased, though.

#22 Posted by Dabee (2394 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, but only by my friends. It's all in good fun, I've never actually felt targeted or felt like someone was with malicious intent.