Has Superman Gotten Better Since the Start of the New 52?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Tell me what you guys think:

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By minigunman123

Most characters did not get better overall after the New 52 started.

Superman is not an exception to this rule.

The only one I can think of who did, is... Hmm... Aquaman. That's about it.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By reignmaker

Superman's only improvement was the costume. But let's be honest, it's not like Superman comics were very good Pre-New 52.

The problem is his usual problems haven't really gone away (too powerful, boring, etc.), while some of the traditional elements that loyalists have come back for have been removed (outside-underwear, Lois Lane relationship, etc.). This may have alienated some readers.

Really the biggest problem that I see though is the storytelling has just been mediocre compared to other books. Batman, Wonder Woman, and even Green Lantern and Flash have had more interesting runs so far. The upcoming Snyder-Lee collaboration is really S-Man's last hope in the immediate future.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmm..guess I'm a minority here. I think Supes is a bit better. The character is more a "social justice" character, kinda going back to his roots. I think we see him far more emotionally vulnerable than we have in the past. He even "killed Clark Kent" because he isn't sure exactly how he fits into the world.He feels more isolated than the past incarnations. While we don't have a firm grip on how powerful he is compared to the pre-52 version..or even John Byrne's version, I don't see how anyone can still think he's "too perfect" If anything, I think they may have over-compensated to make sure he isn't.

I agree Action isn't as good as it was at first, but I can think of plenty of worse comics.

And Supes, for whatever reason, still makes the best "Elseworld" "MIni-series" ":Maxi-Series" character.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By xybernauts

@Manwhohaseverything: I agree.

I didn't read Superman pre52. I haven't read Superman in while now, unless it's part of a crossover event or a TPB like Allstar Superman. All in all, I've liked what Morrision has done so far with Action Comics.

• I love this relationship Superman has with Mrs. Nyxly, the imp from the 5th dimension who became the landlord/ladylady in the apartment building where Clark Kent first lived. Yes it's rough around the edges, but in regards to Action Comics, her role in the book allows Morrison to weave a quirky non-linear story. I wish they didn't kill her off. Rather then getting stuck with cliche drawn out linear story we can jump around to different points in Superman's life. Yes it's rough around the edges and not every story is good, but I like the direction of the comic overall.
  • The "social justice" Superman is one of the best parts of the new Superman. My only problem is that because this version of Superman wears a t-shirt and jeans at the beginning of his career, they took Kon-El's awesome outfit away. Essentially they stole Superboy's outfit and gave it to Superman. Truthfully, I'd prefer it if they found a way to allow both Supermen to use the costume. Superman at the beginning of his career and Superboy permanently
  • I also like the story about how Superman got his suit and cape, what happened to his rocket, and how Krypto was there on Krypton at the beginning of his life and how he came into his life on earth. These milestones, as simple as they might seem, really some of the most intergral highlights of his career.
  • I really hate how they have used John Henry Irons character. He was in a position to get this great origin and they screwed it up,on purpose I assume. He was a researcher studying Superman's rocket for the military. This was an improvement. Supposedly they could have said he created his suit by reverse engineering the technology from the rocket, but instead we find out he is making this high tech suit in his apartment? Sometimes it seems to me that they go out of their way to undermine the development of good black characters.

I haven't read Superboy or Supergirl because I heard they were really bad so can't really comment there. I did try Superman #1 and it was dreadful.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Meh, he's about the same to me.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sovereign91001

Yes, provided you toss out the first twelve issues of Superman. Action Comics had been (for the most part) solid and Superman 0-> have been much better. Pre Flashpoint Superman's last year or so...not good, not good at all.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

Superman sucked in every single way Pre-52. Anyone who says otherwise is trolling. The New 52 fixed the character. Sure, he still might be a little overpowered, but it's still an amazing character and comic.

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Big_Nasty

His Dialogue is Better, his costume is better. I just wish he had better fighting skills, he is taking way to many hits from enemies. But overall an improvement .

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mpierce2690

I think they're stilling finding their footing with Superman, like a lot of the DCnU characters, but he has gotten better and the things that need to be fixed can be fixed as he matures. His personality needs to be tweaked here and there, and experiences will allow that to happen.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eternal19

@TheCannon said:

Superman sucked in every single way Pre-52. Anyone who says otherwise is trolling. The New 52 fixed the character. Sure, he still might be a little overpowered, but it's still an amazing character and comic.

So, having a different opinion is trolling. Wow

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xybernauts

@Eternal19 said:

@TheCannon said:

So, having a different opinion is trolling. Wow

I couldn't have put it better myself. I hate when people use the word troll to intimidate other people into not voicing views that oppose what they believe is true.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I think so, yeah. Not that he was bad before.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmashBrawler

Sort of (especially if we compare the current stuff to Grounded and Reign of Doomsday), but the character is definitely weaker now for the most part.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Better, yes. Great? I'm waiting until the end of H'El on Earth for that one. If there's some great payoff, I'll make a decision.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jorgevy

not really sure if better, but I'm loving New 52 Superman family (Supes, Superboy, Supergirl)

I like them all. actually prefer them to most Bat family stuff, and actually to most other stuff. the only thing that manages to give a good fight is Aquaman, the JL/JLD, and Sword of Sorcery

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Pre-52 Superman was better...Call me a troll if you wish but if that is trolling then I'm proud to confess. Only thing that improved is his suit.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By z3ro180

@TheCannon Your wrong. You are Intitled to have your opinion but your just plane wrong. Pre-52 Superman had some bad story's yes all comic characters do but to say he is just out right bad is just pure bull. Pre-52 superman was and is a great character and his story's where ten times better than the first 12 issues of the New 52 superman. The new 52 title only got good after lobdell and rockafort jumped on it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Z3RO180: actually Superman 1-6 was bad but it was better from then on

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jorgevy

I've already ccommented but i just want to say that Im pretty convinced that Supes is getting better with each issue

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ImmortalOne

@TheCannon said:

So anyone who disagrees with you is trolling? Seriously, you're always like this. You need to start learning that your opinions are not facts.

SHTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SHTR

No, he hasn't improved in the least. The only worthwhile Superman appearances I've read since the start of the New 52 are his appearances in Action Comics. Both Superman and Justice League have been extremely lackluster.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lightsout

I pretty much can't disagree (too much) with anything in the video. His characterization in the new52 has been disappointing IMO. Maybe he's gotten a little better since the start, but still so different from pre-52. He's not embodying the same themes he did before.