Has DC dug themselves into a hole (movie wise)?

• 71 results
_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd just like to assert that I prefer DC movies over Marvel ones.

But even I can notice that early on, Marvel has entrapped the public audience. We all know now that DC has announced a huge slew of movies for the upcoming years, but it almost seems too late for me. Marvel already has the public in a monopoly, the kids and families saw the Avengers and now associate it with every subsequent Marvel release; Cap 3 will most likely trump any DC film released in the same year because the audience is already familiar with the characters.

This is really unfortunate, even though I think DC's films will be great and most likely better than Marvel's (imo).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DC's own fault for playing it safe all those years with Batman and Superman.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not DC, it's WB

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. But yes, it is a fair question.

Let's hope for the genre that BvS will be great.

I would hate to see a general "fatigue" because of an overdose of CBM. That won't be the case if we have plenty of high quality movies.

But as I wrote it in another thread all that is very risky. Almost a gamble.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it really matter if Marvel movies make more money? Its not like DC movies won't make any money. MoS and TDKT were very profitable for WB, BvS will definitely cross a billion and the other DC movies may make enough money too.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SilverPool

I don't think so.

I think that DC can bring something new to the "game." Being that DC is bringing us the first female Superhero film and (possibly) the first movie starring a black superhero (in a CU) as well as prolly introducing magic.

Also, does it really matter if they make more than Marvel? It's WB, they don't even need to make as much as Avengers to be a success. WB has the Lego movies, The Hobbit, The new bs by J.K Rowling, and Godzilla. What the hell do they need to worry about?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

I understand where you're coming from, but it's never too late, I don't see superhero flicks dying any time soon.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

@silverpool: Dr. Strange comes out july 2016 so DC wont be introducing magic first. Which in my opinion is highly unfortunate cuz i predict Strange1 to gross about 800mil-1bil. GotG did so well cuz it was different. Not just another super with x power, x costum, protecting x city, who became a super because of x accident. People are alredy tired of that formula and Marvel knows. Dr. Strange will be a serious adult take for the Harry Potter market thats a completly different kinda of comic book movie like GotG was. Combine that with the Marvel lable, the casting choice too cuz Marvels gonna go big and Marvels push to make him the new HUD character

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

^^continued: im sure Dr. Strange is gonna be HUGE just like GotG. if the first dosent do a bil the sequal will.

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonnytheWolf

@silverpool: Dr. Strange comes out july 2016 so DC wont be introducing magic first. Which in my opinion is highly unfortunate cuz i predict Strange1 to gross about 800mil-1bil. GotG did so well cuz it was different. Not just another super with x power, x costum, protecting x city, who became a super because of x accident. People are alredy tired of that formula and Marvel knows. Dr. Strange will be a serious adult take for the Harry Potter market thats a completly different kinda of comic book movie like GotG was. Combine that with the Marvel lable, the casting choice too cuz Marvels gonna go big and Marvels push to make him the new HUD character

I think this is right. GotG was pretty much a space opera and we haven't had a decent one in forever and I think that was the appeal. Plus it was a Marvel film and people kind of know what to expect and seemed more tongue in cheek than other CBM's. I think Dr.Strange can prob appeal to a diff demo than standard CBM's too.

DC should actually try and emulate the Marvel style, but they need to build slowly. I think... them trying to play catch up will be bad. Shooting right into a Justice League movie won't be good either. Also they need to keep their same style throughout their franchises...so it will be kind of dark for better or worse. But that's not inherently a bad thing.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By EyeDCyou

So much negativity. Just watch the damn movies.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be no magic in the Marvel films. Dr Stranges abilities will be science based :(

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: That's very true. Doing worse than Marvel doesn't mean they didn't do well. Good point.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonnythewolf: What's wrong with jumping into Justice League? It's not like we need an origin film for everyone first. That's the good thing about the DC characters. They're well enough known for the most part, you can throw them into an adventure without much confusion.

My take on the situation?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. DCs has the name recognition to draw in the casual crowd anyway. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. will sell movies just fine based on name alone, and I have faith that the movies they star in can be entertaining stories.

Just because Marvel assembled the Avengers, doesn't mean the same people wouldn't go see Justice League or Wonder Woman or Batman v. Superman. There's probably more overlap in the casual sector than people think. It's not like people won't go see a movie with Superman or Batman just because it doesn't have Marvels' label on it.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How? We know nothing about it. That's like saying Shazam will do really well because I say so.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I don't think so.

I think that DC can bring something new to the "game." Being that DC is bringing us the first female Superhero film and (possibly) the first movie starring a black superhero (in a CU) as well as prolly introducing magic.

Also, does it really matter if they make more than Marvel? It's WB, they don't even need to make as much as Avengers to be a success. WB has the Lego movies, The Hobbit, The new bs by J.K Rowling, and Godzilla. What the hell do they need to worry about?

Isn't Sony going to have the first female superhero movie? and i think there is a good chance we will get a Black Panther film before 2020. Doctor Strange will introduce Magic in 2016 before Shazam or Wonder Woman does in 2019/2017.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Sony going to have the first female superhero movie?

There has been several female super hero films already. Wonder Woman would hardly be the first....Supergirl, Elektra, Tank Girl, Catwoman (kind of) Even the Kick Ass films could be considered equally about Hit Girl as it is about the titular character.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

@silverpool: what do u mean we know knothing about it? What would u like to know? lol

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: when people say first female lead cbm they mean one thats succesful.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only time will tell.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@matthewparker said:

Isn't Sony going to have the first female superhero movie?

There has been several female super hero films already. Wonder Woman would hardly be the first....Supergirl, Elektra, Tank Girl, Catwoman (kind of) Even the Kick Ass films could be considered equally about Hit Girl as it is about the titular character.

We know but were talking about the first to make a female superhero movie out of these new set of superhero movies.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cattlebattle

@69ball-z-deep said:

@cattlebattle: when people say first female lead cbm they mean one thats succesful.

No one said that, people keep referring to it as the "first" female lead super hero film...there are no guarantees any of these future films will be successful anyways.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By legacy6364

Just watch the damn movies!

I don't care if it's from Marvel, DC, or a hair on a rats a**, a CBM movie with good quality is all that matters to me.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool said:

I don't think so.

Isn't Sony going to have the first female superhero movie? and i think there is a good chance we will get a Black Panther film before 2020. Doctor Strange will introduce Magic in 2016 before Shazam or Wonder Woman does in 2019/2017.

I thought they cancelled that, but I could be wrong. I get a lot of that information from AMC Movie Talk nowadays.

We don't know for sure if Doctor Strange will really be magic, or more science based like Thor. Then again, the same can apply to Shazam.

Avatar image for gokubeatsuperman
gokubeatsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new gay flash

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

gokubeatsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By righteous300
EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Ignore him. I can't even understand what he's talking about.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new gay flash

I don't know you and I get that you're just trying to troll, but its just super offensive man. There are members of the LGBTQ community on this site and what you're saying could really hurt some people. I get that trolling can be funny and you like to get emotional rises out of people for laughs or whatever but just stop with these homophobic, discriminatory comments and posts.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And for anyone who thinks I'm just overreacting, this is not the first time @gokubeatsuperman has made a post about the new flash or made a discriminating comment towards gay people, but even one time is unacceptable.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EyeDCyou

@bflynn316: I'm with you, but I don't think he's purposely trolling. I just think he's clueless.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bflynn316

@eyedcyou said:

@bflynn316: I'm with you, but I don't think he's purposely trolling. I just think he's clueless.

I hope he's trolling, some of the stuff he's said is really awful. It's better if he's just making a joke and trying to be offensive than if he actually is that homophobic.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's not like batman superman and wonder woman are unpopular and aren't gonna make a lot of money. DC isn't really competing with marvel here. Their movies aren't going to fail because marvel already made some movies. You're also forgetting that batman and superman are the two biggest super heroes ever. Yes captain America and iron man have increased in popularity recently but supes and bats are still more popular and just as many people will go see their movies.

Also, DC isn't even that far behind. TDK and TDKR both made a billion. MoS made like 700 million IIRC. They just haven't made as many movies, but the ones that they have have been on point and have made tons of money. So no, they're just fine.

gokubeatsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gokubeatsuperman

@gokubeatsuperman said:

@gokubeatsuperman said:

new gay flash

@mrtummytumms said:

@eyedcyou said:

i know marvel movie are better before that even come out

Wow, you really like to troll don't you?

i like how i can say marvel movies are better than dc and you fan boys call that trolling i have a word for you losers called clueless you noobs dont even read comics now, do you? EyeDCyou

@eyedcyou said:

@mrtummytumms: Ignore him. I can't even understand what he's talking about.

that marvel is better than dc comics gay flash? well who can understand that? and why is dc comics a sin *spoiler* its not that no one understands it's that you people dont understand,

@eyedcyou said:

I hope he's trolling, some of the stuff he's said is really awful. It's better if he's just making a joke and trying to be offensive than if he actually is that homophobic.

what is your problem i am gona guess you are liberal right? love the homo life style right?

Search Results

1. Facts About Youth – Health Risks of the Homosexual Lifestyle

factsaboutyouth.com/posts/health-risks-of-the-homosexual-lifestyle/

Health Risks of the Homosexual Lifestyle ... and drug abuse are strongly associated with risky sexual practices that lead to serious medical problems. Life Span ...

2. Health risks of the homosexual lifestyle

catholiceducation.org/articles/homosexuality/ho0088.html

The American public has been left largely in the dark about the extent of the medicalproblems associated with homosexual activity because of the influence of ...

3. Health issues for gay men - Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org/healthy...issues...gay.../art-20047107

Mayo Clinic

Health issues for gay men and men who have sex with men — Understand primary health concerns and how to promote good health. ... Healthy Lifestyle ...

well i am sorry i am homophobic about a gay flash movie sorry if i don't want any more gay dc movies or that i know marvel movies will be better

can someone explain how facts are trolling?

gokubeatsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only in a dc comics thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#42 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@gokubeatsuperman: Yes, you have a right to believe what you like, but such views have no business on this site. First warning.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I don't think so. Like everyone else pointed out, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are pretty iconic characters and I think a lot of people will check the movies out anyway for them. Also, as long as the movies are good, then DC/WB will succeed.

CptMerc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think its too late as long as DC is okay with being second to marvel in the movie making. I liked how Marvel has the guts to make movies out of not so well known heroes. Most of the people on this site know of the GOTG. But the guardians are not a well known group of people to the general public. DC has spent way too much money on their batman and superman movies. They should try to bring some of there not so well known characters like Dr. Fate and even Captain Atom to the the silver screen.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By DrF8

@gokubeatsuperman: god help us all.

Stop trolling on this site. Stop posting homophobic texts. Plz. Let's just all be Peace full & tolerant.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokubeatsuperman: Ok wow. Just seriously first of all I have so many arguments for what you posted, but I get that you're just trolling. The mods warned you and hopefully you won't be posting inappropriate comments like that again. Its not funny man.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#47  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@silverpool: This isn't the first female superhero movie.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers