Has DC always had to catch up with Marvel?

• 78 results
ShiningLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShiningLegend

I know that I probably have summoned the wrath of a million fanboys but please permit me to explain. It's no secret that the predecessors to DC (Action Comics & Detective Comics namely) revolutionized the comic book industry with the superhero. It's also no secret that Marvel began it's runs as Timely after DC. That being put aside, I've also felt like DC has always had to "catch up" with Marvel's standard. For instance, Marvel began operating with the struggle to create realistic situations and characters in their mediums; something which DC originally lacked (granted, people running around in leotards with superpowers is not very realistic) but you understand my point, hopefully. Marvel then kick-started the Bronze Age with the death of Gwen Stacy; this would turn to be a good thing for DC since about this time, DC would be following along with mature topics like drug abuse & murder. And later, Marvel would be the first comic book company ever to create a shared cinematic universe involving more than one franchise or character. Now, people are begging DC for a justice league movie; which is doomed to face the Avengers II in 2015 & the characters that everyone have already grown to love. While DC has paved the pathway for many comic book concepts and ideas (like the multiverse for instance), and ruled the Golden Age with a passionate grip on the comics industry, DC has been doing a lot of attempting to catch up with Marvel. The best example of this is the DC implosion of the 70s.

I still love DC (Animal Man, Batman, Kingdom Come, even Auqaman) but I feel like Marvel understands its fanbase more and might be slightly more "progressive" . Anyone else?

Avatar image for fullmetalchobit
FullmetalChobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FullmetalChobit

Marvel has a hold of the merchandise end of things.

DC MADE the superhero genre. And although Warner Bros has done a sh*t-ton of bad DC movie adaptations, the DC animated series and films are huge.

I just don't think DC or Marvel would exist without each other.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JimTheSurfer

I don't know. I prefer Marvel over DC, but I still think Marvel copied it's NOW from DC New 52.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Bruxae

I love them both with a slight preference for DC, I know this is not what the topic is about.. I just find it slightly unfair that one is judged superior, I really think they compliment and rip off eachother, and none would work this well without the other.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

The two challenge each other to be better, but I agree that Marvel has been slightly more progressive over their history though DC is quickly catching up. The two specialize in different aspects, as Marvel tends to be more team oriented and DC gives focus to more on solo heroes. I think it is a matter of preference, but like to read stories from both companies. I prefer Marvel, but Aquaman, and Wonder Woman are two of my favorite books. In the end I think they are equals and we as fans truly benefit from their competing for our money, because it gives them a reason to continue to write worth while stories.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I always believed Marvel were/are bigger, but DC produced better stories. I constantly hear about Marvel crossover stories or events being very bad. While on the other side, DC make good events and crossovers. Not all the time, but the percentage I would say is in favour of DC.

Marvel have the classic animated stuff which I was brought up though before I got into comics like X-Men animation and Spider-Man. That grips the fans and they go to the comics and move onwards from there. They give their comics to their kids and that spreads it. DC, I would say have surpassed Marvel in the animated world now, in the comics, I'd still say Marvel have the edge and the films give it a big edge. WB just need to pull their finger out and make greater films, choose the right writers and directors. Then they could have a significant improvement.

From a DC fanboy. :D Proud of it!!

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Jorgevy

Marvel and DC have a symbiotic relationship. If you understand that, then I don't need to explain it any further

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Sentry totally revolutionized the comic industry, although everyone forgets that.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By Strider1992

I think DC has to catch up with Marvel in the film industry. Then again Marvel has to catch up with DC in the animation industry lol. Apart from that there isn't really a big difference.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By cameron83

@ShiningLegend: i agree to an extent.But I always felt marvel had to catch up with DC.I mean with all of marvels crisis,they always have to pick up the pieces.DC is ruling in my opinion. But when it comes to movies,they better have something.Because when Marvel has their second avengers movie DC will have their first JLA (which means it better blow this one out of the park)

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrimsonCake

@Strider92 said:

I think DC has to catch up with Marvel in the film industry. Then again Marvel has to catch up with DC in the animation industry lol. Apart from that there isn't really a big difference.

And hopefully they will :(

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By cameron83

@CrimsonCake: In time (just wait,DC has a plan.But JLA has to be REALLY good in order for this to work.Not only with the thousands of years of anticipation,but with avengers 2 coming out,this will have to work)

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By Strider1992

@CrimsonCake: Yeah they should eventually. They seem to be lacking motivation to put lesser known characters out there. Marvel are trying to push an Ant-Man and Ms Marvel movie (who are pretty much unknowns to non-comic fans) whereas DC seem content to just push Batman and Superman.

I'm hoping Arrow will give them the kick up the backside they need to give other characters a shot at the screen!

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

DC and Marvel have been fighting for position since the 60s, this has included both companies playing catch up at times and both have copied and ripped off each other at various points. They both have come up with their own contributions and weaknesses and it'll probably keep going as it has been for years to come.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jonEsherfey

@ShiningLegend: Yes Marvel was advanced in some things but DC started superheroes basically and also DC had no problem with realistic situations with Denny O'Neil's Green Lantern/Green Arrow run.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eternal19

@Jorgevy said:

Marvel and DC have a symbiotic relationship. If you understand that, then I don't need to explain it any further

this

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xybernauts

In terms of the movie universe DC originally had the lead with movies like Superman (Christopher Reeve) franchise in the 80's and the Batman movie franchise started by Tim Burton in the 90's, but now they have to play catch-up with Marvel, who has shot itself into the lead, because of their complacency.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jnr6Lil

DC pretty much created the blueprint for Marvel to build on

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Are you kidding? The only thing I can think of that Marvel is actually beating DC in is the shared cinematic universe. That's it. And to top it all of it wasn't all that great in the first place. DC has the better comics, animated film, TV series (both animated and live action), and is basically the mother of comics. Some would even argue that Nolan's Bat series is the best superhero films ever made. I'm not one of these people, but still it was way better than The Avengers.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER:

equals bro, different strokes and that jazz

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By JakeN7

I feel that DC has always been ahead of Marvel in terms of comics. I mean Marvel has blatantly taken things from DC like Captain Marvel which was a rip-off of Superman, The Avengers which Stan Lee admitted were made to compete with the Justice League, and the Marvel NOW! relaunch is a rip-off of the New 52. So in that aspect Marvel has always been trying to catch up with DC.

However, when it comes to the movies, Marvel has always been on top. That doesn't mean they aren't without their faults in that area though. They are constantly trying to make the comic books align with their movies (see the Nick Fury Jr. debacle and the SEVEN Avengers books coming out of the Marvel NOW! relaunch in the wake of the success of the Avengers movie.) Not to mention that their properties are spread throughout so many different companies. Sony has Spider-Man, FOX has X-Men, Disney has Avengers (and Marvel as a whole now) etc. But overall I think Marvel beats DC in the movie category and would not have any competition if it wasn't for the Nolan Batman films.

Then we have TV shows. DC is the clear winner here with their whole animated universe including old shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Superman, Batman Beyond etc. to the live-action shows like Smallville and Arrow. To the newer shows and the DC Nation BLOCK Teen Titans, Batman Brave and the Bold, The Batman, Green Lantern, Young Justice, etc. The only successful Marvel shows I can think of are the original X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons which are really old now.

Then when it comes to video games I think they are pretty tied, although DC would again not have a leg to stand on if it weren't for Rocksteady's Arkham games.

So in my opinion:

Comics: DC

Movies: Marvel

TV: DC

Video Games: Tie

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

I still love DC (Animal Man, Batman, Kingdom Come, even Auqaman) but I feel like Marvel understands its fanbase more and might be slightly more "progressive" . Anyone else?

"even"? Come on, the character is so much better than just "even" that.

Anyway, DC has done some desperate things to try and match Marvel's success, whether it's in the form of movies, comics, and other things. I will say that, in the present age of comic books (between 2000 and 2012), that DC's comic book quality is better than Marvel's "event after event" strategy. With films, well, that's partially WB's fault. Had the guys at WB given Joss Whedon that Wonder Woman movie he wanted, and made the Green Lantern movie with the original script (which was PHENOMENAL, btw), we may have been living in a world where Justice League: The Movie would have already been made by now (and by Whedon, no doubt), while Marvel would be struggling with their Avengers franchise. As far as the comic books go, DC made an extremely bold and ballsy move with their reboot, which, in my opinion, has been very successful overall. Marvel is trying something with their whole Marvel NOW! thing, but the very fact that they have to keep saying that it "isn't a reboot" tells me that this is clearly an attempt to combat the New 52 (as if the actual reveal of Marvel NOW! wasn't enough of a hint).

So, to sum it all up, DC has been following Marvel a majority of the time (I'll even go as far to say since the 60's), but DC did have their stuff together on some major things. Remember, that Adam West's Batman, Superman: The Movie, The Death of Superman arc, and even The New 52 to some degree, have been major game-changers in the industry, and those were all on DC.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER:

How dare you use a Spider-Man meme against me. HOW DARE YOU!

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nickthedevil

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Are you kidding? The only thing I can think of that Marvel is actually beating DC in is the shared cinematic universe. That's it. And to top it all of it wasn't all that great in the first place. DC has the better comics, animated film, TV series (both animated and live action), and is basically the mother of comics. Some would even argue that Nolan's Bat series is the best superhero films ever made. I'm not one of these people, but still it was way better than The Avengers.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Oh I went there. You DC fans with your noses in the air :p. I think they are equal just some appeal to different fans, nothing wrong with that.

ComicKID777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ComicKID777

now had to catch up with the new 52 it seem and@Jnr6Lil said:

DC pretty much created the blueprint for Marvel to build on

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@BlueLantern1995 said:

) then Marvel will put DC into the grave and Disney will buy them making them own all comicbook companies.

You do know that there are other comic companies out there that are successful even in the U.S and that on the other side of each ocean the U.S borders that are companies that outsell marvel and DC numbers in their respective markets where they sell right?

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Oh I went there. You DC fans with your noses in the air :p. I think they are equal just some appeal to different fans, nothing wrong with that.

Of course not. I completely agree. Some people are smarter than others which is why some people choose DC over Marvel. "Some appeal to different fans" That's what you meant right?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Blood1991 said:

Of course not. I completely agree. Some people are smarter than others which is why some people choose DC over Marvel. "Some appeal to different fans" That's what you meant right?

That's exactly what I meant....

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Mercy_

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER:

LMMFAO

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Blood1991 said:

That's exactly what I meant....

@Mercy_: What are you doing here? I washed my hands of you remember?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER: She is basking in my awesome and you keep stepping her light.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mercy_

@NlGHTCRAWLER: That was the other way around, dear. You were the one who was begging me to unwash my hands :)

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Kiltro95

Just to get this out of the way, neither Marvel nor DC started superheroes as a publication genre the superhero first premiered in print with the Spring Heel Jack Penny Dreadfuls in 1867.

As for DC always having to catch up with Marvel I don't find that true because if it were people probably would have stopped buying DC, and a lot of the relativity towards characters depend on the reader themselves. I think that they keep trying to best the other thus presenting the illusion that one is trying to "Catch Up." Sure Marvel has the public advantage with having like what 3 movies released a year? But DC still has an extremely loyal fanbase and when they do release (Batman and Superman) movies they're garunteed to bring a crowd. As for the Comics again they each try to best the other and considering how it commonly works for both companies in the end I find them pretty much on the same plane. Sure DC did pave the road for the comic book superhero genre and Marvel came along and built on that and then they kept trying to get in front of the other since but as far as the race looks from here its going to end in a tie.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: She is basking in my awesome and you keep stepping her light.

Twice. I stepped on her light twice and that was it. Sheesh.

@Mercy_ said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: That was the other way around, dear. You were the one who was begging me to unwash my hands :)

Heh.. heh.. I .. heh.. don't know what you're talking about. **Ipsnay on the hunwashnay**

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mercy_
No Caption Provided
Seafarinhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seafarinhare

If you asked me this before Flashpoint, I'd laugh in your face. But now, in the DCnU, I'm not so sure about DC these days...

Arcadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Arcadian

There's no way to call Marvel or DC better - if you say Marvel is better, people will say "Marvel only exists because of DC" and if you say DC is better people will say "DC is only good because they copied Marvel's success", so...

Frell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Frell

I will say that DC seems to have more b**ls than Marvel. Any company that can rebrand itself and then make it a success is impressive. On that note, Marvel has copied DC (previously mentioned with Justice League and Avengers) and DC has copied Marvel (Teen Titans and X-Men). I just don't think Marvel NOW can compete with the New 52. I like the shuffling of writers and creative teams, but there is no reason to cancel flagship series or completely change them (see Uncanny X-men and Amazing/Superior Spiderman).

thespidey307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thespidey307

I always been more of a fan with Marvel, so I will say this: I think that DC has to keep up with Marvel in the film industry, and Marvel has to keep up with DC in the animation department.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Although they are rivals, both need the other to survive and grow.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Stegman said:

Although they are rivals, both need the other to survive and grow.
RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

@ShiningLegend said:

I know that I probably have summoned the wrath of a million fanboys but please permit me to explain. It's no secret that the predecessors to DC (Action Comics & Detective Comics namely) revolutionized the comic book industry with the superhero. It's also no secret that Marvel began it's runs as Timely after DC. That being put aside, I've also felt like DC has always had to "catch up" with Marvel's standard. For instance, Marvel began operating with the struggle to create realistic situations and characters in their mediums; something which DC originally lacked (granted, people running around in leotards with superpowers is not very realistic) but you understand my point, hopefully. Marvel then kick-started the Bronze Age with the death of Gwen Stacy; this would turn to be a good thing for DC since about this time, DC would be following along with mature topics like drug abuse & murder. And later, Marvel would be the first comic book company ever to create a shared cinematic universe involving more than one franchise or character. Now, people are begging DC for a justice league movie; which is doomed to face the Avengers II in 2015 & the characters that everyone have already grown to love. While DC has paved the pathway for many comic book concepts and ideas (like the multiverse for instance), and ruled the Golden Age with a passionate grip on the comics industry, DC has been doing a lot of attempting to catch up with Marvel. The best example of this is the DC implosion of the 70s.

You have done this. LOL. Superheroes are realistic now? :p

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#45  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think Marvel has done a better job of continually challenging itself to keep things modern and relevant, and I think the new 52 represented DC's attempt to finally solve that, which in many respects it has.  

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Lvenger

They did have to catch up when Marvel first came about due to Marvel creating characters that readers could relate to and understand the issues the characters faced in the issues. Also DC really have to play catch up with Marvel in the film department. However aside from those two areas, I've preferred DC to Marvel overall.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Marvel is becoming stale as of 2013 now

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please it's only a matter of time before Marvel catches up in animation being owned by Disney. DC has yet to make a superhero movie other than Bats or Supes and be a success. Marvel already is going to have 4 live action shows same with DC I know but Gotham is going to be aired on Fox which is than probably going to get cancelled.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eisenfauste  Online

Marvel had to catch up to DC in the start IMO. But I think they are roughly even now.

dodirty31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The problem with DC is that they have went to far with their characters and have to keep restarting like with the New 52. They create characters so powerful that they have to do the same with the villains and the way comics work is that ou have to keep one upping from hero to villain to keep it interesting. Then they start with Speed force, and Sun dipping, and all these add ons that undermine what a hero really is.

DC has the moral compass that is Superman that "never" kills but he keeps increasing his power and left me sitting there like no duh you don't kill you can lock someone up before they even start if you want to. Along with GL, Manhunter, and WW.

While Spiderman is a Meta-human that can climb walls has to actually try hard like Batman not to kill his opponents because they are usually outmatched.

I feel like you can just look at the two main teams and tell which one is more relate-able. Outside the Hulk and Batman.

Atleast that is why I think DC has fallen behind.