Harry Potter, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings ?

Kieran Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kieran Marvel

Arguably the 3 biggest Sci-Fi stories ever and each has had a massive impact on pop culture.

Question is which is the best ? No statistis on how much revenue each trademark has made just your opinions.

For me it would have to be Star Wars because of the way the films were ordered, it was unique. Star Wars lead to extremely great games such as Battlefront II, Harry Potter games in general are boring. Lord of the Rings games are also decent but the figures aren't as appealing as Star Wars figures are. Star Wars has anime series' to its name, games, comic spin offs, spoofs (Family Guy Blue Harvest) and gives amazing fancy dress oppurtunities.

Also it contains the greatest twist in cinema history in "You killed my father"
"No Luke, i am your father"

Voldermort isn't Harry's father nor is Aragon son of Sauron. He is Aragon son of Arathorn.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

LOTR and Harry Potter are Fantasy.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Star Wars was the greatest and had the most impact.....however LOTR was a major influence on Star Wars and thus should also be recognized...Harrry Potter is a popular series but I dont think it's in the same league.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Korg
Lunacyde said:
"Star Wars was the greatest and had the most impact...."
What are you smoking? LotR was the second most read book of the 20th century (#1 being the Bible) for a very good reason. The movies also faired rather better than Star Wars, and had their own unique timeline as well. I don't think anyone who attempts to create a world of fiction will ever come close to surpassing Tolkien. He wrote it all himself, invented 2 very comprehensive languages, and laid the foundation for others like Rowling and Lucas. The depth of characters and history of Middle Earth is beyond compare, in my opinion.
Avatar image for hermione_wallace
Hermione Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hermione Wallace
  1. Star Wars
  2. Harry Potter
  3. LOTR
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Korg
Hermione Wallace said:
"
  1. Star Wars
  2. Harry Potter
  3. LOTR
"
Out of curiosity, why do you rank them this way?
Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Last_Guardian

LOTR and Harry potter arent's sci fi but...

1. Star Wars
2. LOTR
3. Harry Potter - not a fan, thinks it's borderline satanic (lol)  but i do give it props for the fact that it helped a whole generation of kids find interest in reading...

Avatar image for hermione_wallace
Hermione Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hermione Wallace
Korg said:
"Hermione Wallace said:
"
  1. Star Wars
  2. Harry Potter
  3. LOTR
"
Out of curiosity, why do you rank them this way?"
Well I grew up on Star Wars, literally everything in life at a young age was Star Wars, Star Wars, Star wars, i remember watching the whole  of return of the jedi before going school one day, I was instantly drawn in by Harry Potter, from the movies, because I was young and I suppose my likings go more toward HP with magic rather than LOTR. I do like LOTR, I have the triple dvd box set, which comes with four dvds for each movie. And there is nothing anyone is gonna say to make me change my mind :P

folds arms
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Constantine
Kieran Marvel said:
"Star Wars lead to extremely great games such as Battlefront II, Harry Potter games in general are boring. Lord of the Rings games are also decent but the figures aren't as appealing as Star Wars figures are. "
well you can kinda throw that outta the window because there is a game coming out which has the same principles as Battlefront but is a LOTR game.

Korg said:
 and laid the foundation for others like Rowling and Lucas.
what did he do for Lucas? I understand with Rowling, Dementors/Ring wraith and other stuff but I don't see anything Tolkien did to inspire Lucas...

and there's no denying Lucas and star wars were world changing...
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Korg said:
"Lunacyde said:
"Star Wars was the greatest and had the most impact...."
What are you smoking? LotR was the second most read book of the 20th century (#1 being the Bible) for a very good reason. The movies also faired rather better than Star Wars, and had their own unique timeline as well. I don't think anyone who attempts to create a world of fiction will ever come close to surpassing Tolkien. He wrote it all himself, invented 2 very comprehensive languages, and laid the foundation for others like Rowling and Lucas. The depth of characters and history of Middle Earth is beyond compare, in my opinion."
Man I love LOTR, Ive read all the books as well as the Hobbit and the Silmarilliann and I agree with a lot of what you said but seriously there are more characters....languages.....and culture in Star Wars than The others. I will give it to you that both of these others drew influence from Tolkienn and he was amazing.....Im just saying that I thin Star Wars is more instantly recognizable to more poeople worldwide!
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Nighthunter
caption
caption
Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars, LotR, and harry... <.<

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By King_Saturn

1. Star Wars

2. Terminator

3. Lord Of The Rings

4. Harry Potter

lol
Kieran Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kieran Marvel

Constantine said:

"Kieran Marvel said:
"Star Wars lead to extremely great games such as Battlefront II, Harry Potter games in general are boring. Lord of the Rings games are also decent but the figures aren't as appealing as Star Wars figures are. "
well you can kinda throw that outta the window because there is a game coming out which has the same principles as Battlefront but is a LOTR game.

Korg said: what did he do for Lucas? I understand with Rowling, Dementors/Ring wraith and other stuff but I don't see anything Tolkien did to inspire Lucas...

and there's no denying Lucas and star wars were world changing..."

To Constantine : Cool but still, The 3 games based on LOTR films were poor, too easy and too restricting. Battle for middle earth was cool and the Age of Empires style game was infact amazing. But Star Wars has a similar game that people play online. Battlefront games, Bounty Hunter games, movie based were cool enough (Yes episode 3 was ridiculously easy)
Harry Potter games seem like they'd be great but there not...oh sorry, Quidditch world cup but thats unfortunatley ridiculously easy.

To Korg: I'm sure that there is some reference to Ring wraiths when we look at the Emporer in Star Wars. Also, Aragorn is known as "Strider" and is an heir to the throne who has turned on his back on his true path when we meet him in LOTR. Obi Wan Kenobi, when we meet him in A New Hope is a Jedi warrior who has also turned his back on his true path who is "Ben Kenobi" at first. I also believe that Frodo's struggle with the ring is is similar to Luke's struggle to kill his father. Neither hero is capable of making sacrafices for the greater good of their worlds.

Note#
These points could be coincidental, lets not assume there intentonal. I'm not trying to discredit the great story that is Star Wars

My own verdict (based on books, films, games)

1. Star Wars

2. LOTR

3. Harry Potter

And for King Saturn Terminator would be 5 for me.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Vrakmul
King Saturn said:
"

1. Star Wars

2. Terminator

3. Lord Of The Rings

4. Harry Potter

lol
"
Terminator was mentioned in the song "it's the end of the world as we know it".

Night of the living dead get's place number 999 g64 *g64 is so big that you can turn everything into ink, paper, and pen, you still wouldn't be able to write the needed amount of zeroes* What can I say, John Romero is overrated, look at his newer movies they all fail :P.
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By cpt_linger

no indiana jones?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vrakmul
cpt_linger said:
"no indiana jones?"
No.  =P
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Methos
Kieran Marvel said:

Arguably the 3 biggest Sci-Fi stories ever and each has had a massive impact on pop culture. 

point 1... Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter aren't sci-fi, they're fantasy lol

ignoring that for the minute, my rankings are as follows...

1. Star Wars (Original Trilogy, the new 3 movies were absolute sh!ite)
2. Harry Potter
3. Lord of The Rings

Now, before i get a load of flack for putting Lord of the Rings last, it is in that situation because while it is an amazingly epic book with fans all over the world, it just didn't grab me as much as Harry Potter or Star Wars...

M
Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vrakmul
Methos said:
"Kieran Marvel said:

point 1... Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter aren't sci-fi, they're fantasy lol

ignoring that for the minute, my rankings are as follows...

1. Star Wars (Original Trilogy, the new 3 movies were absolute sh!ite)
2. Harry Potter
3. Lord of The Rings

Now, before i get a load of flack for putting Lord of the Rings last, it is in that situation because while it is an amazingly epic book with fans all over the world, it just didn't grab me as much as Harry Potter or Star Wars...

M"
Except for hail fire droids pwning walkers on a massive scale.  That was the best part of episode 2.

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cpt_linger
Dreadnaught said:
"cpt_linger said:
"no indiana jones?"
No.  =P"
then star wars is by far the greatest trilogy turned tri-trilogy IN THE WORLD!
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AtPhantom
  1. LOTR
  2. Star Wars (original)
  3. ...
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. ...
  7. ...
  8. ...
  9. Harry Potter
Kieran Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kieran Marvel
AtPhantom said:
"
  1. LOTR
  2. Star Wars (original)
  3. ...
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. ...
  7. ...
  8. ...
  9. Harry Potter
"
Fair enough. Whats in betweenout of curiousity ?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

1. Back To The Future Series
2. Night of the Living Dead (All 5)
3. Original Star Wars

Dreadnaught said:

Night of the living dead get's place number 999 g64 *g64 is so big that you can turn everything into ink, paper, and pen, you still wouldn't be able to write the needed amount of zeroes* What can I say, John Romero is overrated, look at his newer movies they all fail :P."

First, what in the hell is g64? I have no idea what your argument is about. Second, George Romero, if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be anything zombie, including video games. None of his movies ever made any money, I assume that's what you mean by fail, considering critics gave the last two films (Diary & Land) mildly decent reviews, on average 3/5 for Diary, 3.5/5 for Land. And none of his films will EVER be as big as a failure as Knightriders was. People see his films for #1 Zombies and #2 Social Commentary. So, if you can get something though provoking out of his films, which isn't hard, he's succeeded.
Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sparda

I'd say it's a tie between Star Wars and LoTR....love em both.

But Harry Potter-while the books were good-is way down there since I don't like the movies.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vrakmul

EA *aka electronic @$$holes* makes harry potter games, the movies aren't all that great and the books are good but not excellent.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vrakmul
inferiorego said:
"1. Back To The Future Series
3. Original Star Wars

Dreadnaught said:

Night of the living dead get's place number 999 g64 *g64 is so big that you can turn everything into ink, paper, and pen, you still wouldn't be able to write the needed amount of zeroes* What can I say, John Romero is overrated, look at his newer movies they all fail :P."

First, what in the hell is g64? I have no idea what your argument is about. Second, George Romero, if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be anything zombie, including video games. None of his movies ever made any money, I assume that's what you mean by fail, considering critics gave the last two films (Diary & Land) mildly decent reviews, on average 3/5 for Diary, 3.5/5 for Land. And none of his films will EVER be as big as a failure as Knightriders was. People see his films for #1 Zombies and #2 Social Commentary. So, if you can get something though provoking out of his films, which isn't hard, he's succeeded."
Robots are infinitely cooler than lame zombies that a Turtle could outrun.  I really can't be afraid of a corpse that moves at 0.0000000000000001 kilometers per hour.  

G64 is Graham's number.  Too big for exponents or exponent towers to represent.
Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.) LotR
2.) Star Wars
129,091,570.) Harry Potter

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Alexander Anderson said:
"1.) LotR
2.) Star Wars
129,091,570.) Harry Potter"
EXACTLY
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
Dreadnaught said:
"inferiorego said:
"1. Back To The Future Series
3. Original Star Wars

Dreadnaught said:

First, what in the hell is g64? I have no idea what your argument is about. Second, George Romero, if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be anything zombie, including video games. None of his movies ever made any money, I assume that's what you mean by fail, considering critics gave the last two films (Diary & Land) mildly decent reviews, on average 3/5 for Diary, 3.5/5 for Land. And none of his films will EVER be as big as a failure as Knightriders was. People see his films for #1 Zombies and #2 Social Commentary. So, if you can get something though provoking out of his films, which isn't hard, he's succeeded."
Robots are infinitely cooler than lame zombies that a Turtle could outrun.  I really can't be afraid of a corpse that moves at 0.0000000000000001 kilometers per hour.  

G64 is Graham's number.  Too big for exponents or exponent towers to represent."
It's not about being chased at the infinitely slow speed you expressed, it's about hundreds upon thousands of threats all around you and having no place to hide, a claustrophobic's nightmare, even if outdoors.
Delta Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Delta Red

Of those 3:
Only Star Wars

lady_redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lady_redhead

NONE OF THEM

INDIANA JONES!! ^_^

Acer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Acer
Mistress Redhead said:
"NONE OF THEM

INDIANA JONES!! ^_^"
Hahahahaha LMMFAO

Star Wars (Original)
Lord Of The Rings (I prefer the Hobbit)
Harry Potter
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

I'd call up my boy Ashley J. Williams!......F those zombies up!...Thug Life

lady_redhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lady_redhead
Acer said:
"Mistress Redhead said:
"NONE OF THEM

INDIANA JONES!! ^_^"
Hahahahaha LMMFAO

Star Wars (Original)
Lord Of The Rings (I prefer the Hobbit)
Harry Potter"
Why you laugh.. its sooo much better thatn the others ^^

well.. not star wars..
Cavalry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cavalry

None of the others would have existed without LOTR, so.. LOTR.

Rather than type on this matterm I will simply quote from elsewhere:

"

The enormous popularity of Tolkien's epic saga greatly expanded the demand for fantasy fiction. Largely thanks to The Lord of the Rings, the genre flowered throughout the 1960s. Many other books in a broadly similar vein were published, including the Earthsea books of Ursula K. Le Guin, The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist, The Belgariad by David Eddings, The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks, the Thomas Covenantnovels of Stephen R. Donaldson; the "Wheel of Time" books of Robert Jordan, and, in the case of the Gormenghast books by Mervyn Peake and The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison, rediscovered.

With a significant overlapping of their respective followings, there has been and still is extensive cross-pollination of influence between the fantasy and science fiction genres. In this way, the work also had an influence upon such science fiction authors as Frank Herbert and Arthur C. Clarke and filmmakers such as George Lucas.

It is often assumed to have strongly influenced the RPG industry which achieved popularity in the 1970s with Dungeons & Dragons, a game which features many races found in The Lord of the Rings, most notably halflings (another term for hobbits), elves, dwarves, half-elves, orcs, and dragons. However, Gary Gygax, lead designer of the game, maintained that he was influenced very little by The Lord of the Rings, stating that he included these elements as a marketing move to draw on the popularity the work enjoyed at the time he was developing the game. Many also believe that some popular video games have been influenced by the legacy of The Lord of the Rings, with titles such as Ultima, EverQuest, and the Warcraft series, as well as, quite naturally, video games set in Middle-earth itself.

As in all artistic fields, a great many lesser derivatives of the more prominent works appeared. The term "Tolkienesque" is used in the genre to refer to the oft-used and abused storyline of The Lord of the Rings: a group of adventurers (sci fi or fantasy) embarking on a quest to save a magical fantasy world, or in a sci fi setting, planet (or universe), from the armies of an evil dark lord."