#1 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is E even an option? That has nothing to do with the question...

#3 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

What's a Harold type character?

#4 Edited by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 18 got me to like Harper Row, more than I'd like to admit. I just don't want her to become the new Robin,

We already have 2 hate blogs about Harper in Batman forums, so pick which one you want her to be and explain why.

I picked a new role, I want to see a new vigilante code name.

#5 Posted by JakeN7 (12576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

It's probably for people who think that she shouldn't have a role in the Bat-Family. Which is what he should have wrote of course, but oh well.

Anyways, I picked B. I would like her to be an Oracle that can actually act as a field agent if she has too.

#6 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

It's probably for people who think that she shouldn't have a role in the Bat-Family. Which is what he should have wrote of course, but oh well.

Anyways, I picked B. I would like her to be an Oracle that can actually act as a field agent if she has too.

Your right

#7 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver: Harold (A mechanical genius working for Batman, Harold made many of his gadgets and maintained his vehicles. He was later manipulated and killed by Hush.)

#8 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, thanks. I think I remember him now. Wasn't he a hunchback or something.

#9 Posted by BR_Havoc (1296 posts) - - Show Bio

Just thought I would post this link to an article for the Harper fans and haters.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/03/12/batman-writer-snyder-harper-row-not-designed-to-be-robin/

#10 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver: No, but he couldn't speak, when Bruce took him in. But Hush fixed his voice so he could speak, then after Harold confessed to Batman that he betrayed, Hush killed Harold.

#11 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver: Harold was a guy that lived in the Batcave and acted as Batman's mechanic. Personally. I prefer Batman's gadgets and vehicles to come from Wayne Ent. and Lucius Fox. I'd like Harper to take the empty Oracle role.

#12 Posted by JakeN7 (12576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver said:

Oh, thanks. I think I remember him now. Wasn't he a hunchback or something.

@ccraft said:

@Dark_Guyver: No, but he couldn't speak, when Bruce took him in. But Hush fixed his voice so he could speak, then after Harold confessed to Batman that he betrayed, Hush killed Harold.

Actually, yes, he was a hunchback. "Harold Allnut was born a mute hunchback" is the first line on his wiki page here. The same page that ccraft quoted

#13 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

@BR_Havoc said:

Just thought I would post this link to an article for the Harper fans and haters.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/03/12/batman-writer-snyder-harper-row-not-designed-to-be-robin/

That's good news

#14 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

D. A new role

#15 Edited by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@BR_Havoc: Thanks for sharing that. I've seen it mentioned earlier as well, but I hadn't actually read it.

It's basically what I've already been saying to haters: that you don't have to appreciate her personality if you don't want to, but Harper was created well before Damian dying was even a blip on Snyder's radar. The fact that Damian's death provided an excellent opportunity for Snyder to flesh her out a bit more is simply good writing for him. And the fact that with Damian out and the title open, Harper could become Robin is obviously still a possibility; but she wasn't made for that purpose, and Snyder focusing on her shouldn't be read as him priming her to suddenly leap in.

EDIT: full disclosure, I voted D.

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7492 posts) - - Show Bio

New role. I'd like to see her adopt her own alias and become some sort of crime fighter, hopefully with a better outfit than that terrible catsuit in the most recent issue of Batman. I wouldn't want to see her become a Robin, mainly just because I don't think the role is fit for anyone after Damian.

#17 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: While understandable, as I've said elsewhere: there's 0 chance that there will never be another Robin.

It's actually impossible.

#18 Posted by The_Tree (7492 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@The_Tree: While understandable, as I've said elsewhere: there's 0 chance that there will never be another Robin.

It's actually impossible.

I already know that, it doesn't mean that I can't wish, though.

"Batman and Robin will never die!"

#19 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Heheh.

Think on the bright side: in the grand span of things, Batman only officially had a son for a very short period of time. Most of his existence as a comic book character has done just fine with his sidekicks lacking blood connection; I think given time it won't even seem weird that he gets a replacement.

#20 Posted by The_Tree (7492 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@The_Tree: Heheh.

Think on the bright side: in the grand span of things, Batman only officially had a son for a very short period of time. Most of his existence as a comic book character has done just fine with his sidekicks lacking blood connection; I think given time it won't even seem weird that he gets a replacement.

It all depends on how the sidekick comes about getting the role and how well it's written.

I think I'll always be somewhat cold to the idea, though, since Damian is my first Robin. I've gone back and read issues with others as Robin, but nobody has truly owned the role as much as I feel Damian has. You never forget your first, haha.

#21 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Ha. Well in that case, seeing as I only ever saw Damian incidentally through crossovers (I never read anything with him as a main character), it's entirely possible that the next Robin will be my first. But yeah, sensitivity and plausibility are key. In N52 continuity Bruce has lost two Robins, including his actual son, so the notion of him being willing to take the risk again really must be adequately dealt with. I have faith in Snyder, at least. It sounds like Tomasi's doing well too. So even if Harper does become Robin, I honestly don't think it will feel forced. As has been said, the way Tim was originally integrated was because it was actually safer then letting him go vigilante on his own, as he would no doubt have tried to do. Harper's not going to listen to Batman's "stop it" stuff, so it looks like that's the way in -- he finally realizes that his pushing her away actually endangers her more than she would be if properly guided. I can see it being done well. I can also see it not being done at all.

#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

A new role or something like Oracle.

#23 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

No more Robins!

#24 Posted by ccraft (5283 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@The_Tree: Ha. Well in that case, seeing as I only ever saw Damian incidentally through crossovers (I never read anything with him as a main character), it's entirely possible that the next Robin will be my first. But yeah, sensitivity and plausibility are key. In N52 continuity Bruce has lost two Robins, including his actual son, so the notion of him being willing to take the risk again really must be adequately dealt with. I have faith in Snyder, at least. It sounds like Tomasi's doing well too. So even if Harper does become Robin, I honestly don't think it will feel forced. As has been said, the way Tim was originally integrated was because it was actually safer then letting him go vigilante on his own, as he would no doubt have tried to do. Harper's not going to listen to Batman's "stop it" stuff, so it looks like that's the way in -- he finally realizes that his pushing her away actually endangers her more than she would be if properly guided. I can see it being done well. I can also see it not being done at all.

Some other user left a link on here, where Scott said Harper won't become Robin, but more of a partner thing. Tbh I don't want to see any kind of partner yet, we only got a glimpse at a more violent and reckless Batman. Which I was hoping would last awhile.

Heres the link http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/03/12/batman-writer-snyder-harper-row-not-designed-to-be-robin/

Anyways have you two seen the preview for Batman & Red Robin 19 it looks like Batman kidnapped Frankenstein and is studying him... creepy.

#25 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Yeah, I read the original interview with Snyder. He said she wasn't created to be Robin. He also said he wasn't allowed to comment on whether she'd become Robin. So a character he created for one purpose may eventually be reappropriated to fill a void that a different writer created by killing a character he created. Sure, that may not happen. But Snyder was pretty clear about avoiding saying it wouldn't happen. Just that she served, and continues to serve, a purpose well beyond "Damian number two."

Anyhow I haven't followed B&R so I haven't paid much attention to the solicits for any of his upcoming team-ups, haha.

#26 Posted by War Killer (20223 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see her as the new Robin

#27 Posted by AmishAvenger (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see her as a Robin who does not know who Batman really is...Like Stephanie Brown?

#28 Posted by ImmortalOne (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't want Harper to become a Robin, not so soon after Damian's very brief career. I chose D, a new role.

#29 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

New role. I'd like to see her adopt her own alias and become some sort of crime fighter, hopefully with a better outfit than that terrible catsuit in the most recent issue of Batman. I wouldn't want to see her become a Robin, mainly just because I don't think the role is fit for anyone after Damian.

Tim Drake, all I'm saying.

#30 Edited by The_Tree (7492 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@The_Tree said:

Tim Drake, all I'm saying.

Tim's past all of that. I'd take it as character regression. Well, at least if we don't acknowledge the s###ty changes made to him in The New 52.

#31 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see her as Robin. I certainly like her alot more than I thought I would, but that could have to do alot with the New 52 destroying the characters of like half the Bat family.

#32 Posted by sinestro_GL (3163 posts) - - Show Bio

A new role would be best...saves it from having the same old roles over and over again.

#33 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13207 posts) - - Show Bio

i think we've had enough Robins.

#34 Posted by SupBatz (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said a few times that maybe she could take the name Grid (because she really preached about that electrical grid a lot in her first appearance).

I don't think she should be Robin (at least, not any time soon). And Oracle is a title that I dont feel comfortable giving to someone other than Babs in a universe where Babs never actually was Oracle. I could see her as almost Harold-like but with more of an actually crime-fighting aspect. The trick would be finding a role for her that places her as a sort of behind the scenes director for Batman without making her seem too much like Oracle. If Snyder can pull that off I will be very pleased.