#1 Posted by Jake Fury (19934 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I feel like the hardcover editions these days from Marvel & DC are way overpriced. $24.99 seems ridiculous when I could buy the individual issues and come out cheaper. Yeah, I'm looking at you Marvel NOW. DC isn't much better as most of their hardcover editions for the New 52 came in at prices of $24.99. Once again, if I bought the individual issues I would come out a little cheaper.

Trade paperbacks on the other hand are more my cup of tea. As an older reader (I'm 38), single issues just don't do it for me. Most come in at much more reasonable prices, usually $14.99- $19.99. I still collect a few monthly titles of series I really enjoy, but, if I am going to sit down and read for a while I prefer to get the whole story in one sitting.

Of course this is just my personal opinion. How about everyone else? Which format do you prefer?

#2 Edited by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer trade paperback over hardcovers but I read most of my titles monthly.

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I read most stuff monthly, but when I don't I prefer hardcover.

#4 Posted by HumanRocket (10219 posts) - - Show Bio

Hardcovers if its not to expensive.

#5 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

Hardcover if it has at least 300 pages, otherwise paperback. I really dislike all of the new Marvel hardcovers with only five issues and about 140 pages. The covers alone are nearly as thick as the pages within them.

#6 Posted by dagmar_merrill (11317 posts) - - Show Bio

Paperback. I have 2 omnibus (What is the plural for that?) which are hardcover and I couldn't imagine them being in paperback.

#7 Posted by sagejonathan (2136 posts) - - Show Bio

I read monthly but when. I buy trades i generally buy them in paperback. However, i like to get omnibuses of major runs that I haven't read and I like hardcovers of major events or stories.

#8 Posted by Squalleon (5530 posts) - - Show Bio

Hardcovers if its not to expensive.

This.
Hardcovers are more durable and look better but they are usually expensive.

#9 Edited by Jake Fury (19934 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainhoopla said:

Hardcover if it has at least 300 pages, otherwise paperback. I really dislike all of the new Marvel hardcovers with only five issues and about 140 pages. The covers alone are nearly as thick as the pages within them.

Yeah, they all seem way overpriced.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (46487 posts) - - Show Bio

I buy monthlies, and get trade paperbacks for holidays.

#11 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I am still purchasing single issues but I make it a habit to buy the paperbacks when they become available and keep them accessible. It's silly, considering how I sporadically read comics but I can't help it. Something about single issues I love although like you mentioned, reading a story arc in one go is more enjoyable.

As for the hardcovers -- now you're getting into royalty. I would love to get the hardcovers just as religiously but it's just too expensive. I honestly can't afford what I am doing now.

You made me sad.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (58771 posts) - - Show Bio

Both soft covers and hardcovers are cheaper from other publishers.

BB

#13 Edited by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Still haven't physically bought a collected series. I buy monthly or digital collections when they are on sale,I have a digital omnibus. I'm heavily debating buying 2 Marvel Masterwork collections or just buying the Essential book.