Happy Free Comic Book Day!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Took my three-year old son to his first free comic book day at the local comic shop here in town. Hopefully the beginning of a wonderful tradition.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Happy FCBD!

That's awesome! I took my little brother.

What did your son get?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Damn, why isn't there a comic book shop in Sweden?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By reignmaker
kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kilomac29

My LCS had 1/2 priced back issues and graphic novels. So in honor of FCBD '13 I decided to catch up on some Walking Dead.

No Caption Provided

captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@kilomac29: Good choice the Walking Dead series has been brilliant. One of the long running series that rarely disappoints.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It annoys me that Comixology don't do FCD

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By 2chimcha3

My brother and I went together. We got our free comics and I bought to back issues of Blue Beetle that I was missing and he we catching up on the current Iron Man series. It was a good day. The line into the store wrapped around the entire building and it stayed that way throughout the day.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous; It annoys me that Comixology don't do FCD.

Me too I was bummed to find that out because I don't know if I can get to a store today! ):

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker:

It's pretty cool to see someone getting there son interested in comics. :)

I got Superman, Infinity, FUBAR, Judge Dredd, and Star Wars.

I also got Batman 523 and 524 (A two-part Scarecrow story).

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have past FCBD issues for free. Not sure why they don't have today's. Maybe it's so people go to their local shops and support the town business. I'd be surprised if they don't show up on Comixology eventually.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

They have past FCBD issues for free. Not sure why they don't have today's. Maybe it's so people go to their local shops and support the town business. I'd be surprised if they don't show up on Comixology eventually.

pfft the closest comic book shop to me is in another country

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jonny_anonymous said:

Last year the FCBD issues didn't come up on Comixology until a few days later.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

They have 12 FCBD issues up today (at least, they did for me). As has been mentioned, they may have the rest (or at least some of them) in the future. Considering the mentality behind the event is to get people to support local shops and start reading comics when they weren't before, it makes sense that there's not as much of a digital component. There are some issues I couldn't get because I don't live close enough to an LCS to justify the trip, but as a nigh-all digital reader, I didn't expect to make off as well as I did today so I shan't complain.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

They have 12 FCBD issues up today (at least, they did for me). As has been mentioned, they may have the rest (or at least some of them) in the future. Considering the mentality behind the event is to get people to support local shops and start reading comics when they weren't before, it makes sense that there's not as much of a digital component. There are some issues I couldn't get because I don't live close enough to an LCS to justify the trip, but as a nigh-all digital reader, I didn't expect to make off as well as I did today so I shan't complain.

that's just the usual weekly free comics they do, not actual FCBD comics. If there trying to get more pepole to read why not do it on comixology as well? The nearest comic book shop to me is in a different country.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By akbogert

@jonny_anonymous: Well I don't know about all of them but some of them were definitely FCBD books. I should know -- I just read them.

As for your question, I guess the issue is more a matter of how. They can't advertise it within a comics app because anyone who already uses Comixology likely already reads comics. Perhaps they could get a banner in iTunes or something, but that could be quite expensive.

I don't think the industry is ready to embrace digital just yet. They will have to inevitably, but right now I think they take it for granted a bit (heck, they don't even release sales numbers for digital as consistently).

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Crap, I forgot about it.

I didn't get any. No one at my store said anything and I forgot. I'm an idiot (person at the register was a jerk though. Giving me incorrect change)

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took my three-year old son to his first free comic book day at the local comic shop here in town. Hopefully the beginning of a wonderful tradition.

I'm 17 now, but my dad has taken me every year since I was a kid at that age. I can honestly say that they are some of my best memories.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

nothing appealed to me so i never went.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@reignmaker said:

I'm 17 now, but my dad has taken me every year since I was a kid at that age. I can honestly say that they are some of my best memories.

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, hopefully we can stay consistent like that.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was my first one and I loved it I got a sketch on my Superior #1 blank and 4 free books it was really fun.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me and my brother went today. I got Superman: Last Son of Krypton, Cable and X-Force 1-2 (Taking a risk on this one, hope it's good) and Giant Sized Avengers #1

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Got infinity Superman Last son of Kyrpton and Batman and I thought my cousin the Sonic Megaman one for him to read since he wasn't able to go overall a good first ever FCBD p.s love the final flower reprint in Infinity that was a nice bonus

krunkeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By krunkeela

Infinity was a good read, cant wait for it's release in August.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't able to go because of a family commitment. I'm hoping that a guy who works with my sister was able to go and pick up some comic books for me and my niece.

Avatar image for detective_vector
Detective Vector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Detective Vector

I been always wantin' to go so I've made this one huge success! I couldn't gone there earlier for a shorter line but eh waited to get my picks so that's what I did and got them now been a crazy day I had!

Oh this was my very first to even be part of it too!

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

It was definitely fun, as usual. There's just an energy at the lcs on FCBD that you don't see when you go in on Wednesdays and that's a good thing. I've never seen the lcs so busy and full of people browsing back issues and being dressed up.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Had my 1st comic book day ever with my girlfriend. Was a blast. Got Infinity, Superman, she got archie and Sesame Street (would've gotten beware the batman but it ran out lol.) was so crazy, came at like 9am (Philippines local time) coz the store would open up at 10am, got our books by 1pm. The line was so crazy lol, back issues were only $1 (50 pesos) and new 52 issues were 50% off, got the ultimate Iron man limited series for a bargain, caught up on some suicide squad and Phantom Stranger, bought some largely discounted variants, and alot of new comics (20%off). Would've gotten my Venom Issues signed by Lan Medina, but had to go before I saw him :( overall it was really really fun. :D