• 95 results
Posted by G-Man (31631 posts) - - Show Bio

Today is Father's Day. Just as mother's are important, father's are as well. They've often played a big role in comics in shaping the important characters into the heroes they are today.

Just as in real life, sometimes people and characters lose their fathers. Everyone, in the real world and in comic, should be appreciative of their loved ones. So on this day, be sure to let your dad know you love him.

In comics, who are some of the greatest dads? And that obviously doesn't have to mean biological dads as some great heroes, Superman included, had great 'dads' that made them who they are.

Here's a few great dads that immediately come to mind.

Well, nobody's perfect, right?

What other great comic book dads can you think of? Add your favorites, along with images of course, in the comments below.

Staff
#1 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Buddy Baker aka Animal Man. He's fallen on rough times of late, but its still obvious that he lives for his children.

#2 Edited by Shadowmyst (46 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91: I agree. I loved Buddy because he's one of the few characters in comics who has a family life outside his superhero life. I think he and Reed Richards best symbolizes fathers that are superheroes both literally and figuratively.

#3 Edited by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahahs, Ultron and Pym :'D

#4 Edited by Gemstone (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Roy Harper

#5 Posted by Mutie199 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable was as a good father to Hope Summers as possible, considering they had to travel continuously through time and has to train her in order to be able to survive

#6 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3550 posts) - - Show Bio

Having been raised by a single mother, Father's Day is little more than an average Sunday to me. However, to play along. I can think of a few to add to the list.

• Theodore Diggers: The mage father of Gina, Britanny, and Brianna Diggers.
  • Alice's Father: The father of Alice Maresato. Gave his own life trying to save his daughter during a zombie apocalypse.
  • Gohan: Goku may be more famous, but remember that Goku was hardly ever around to raise any of his sons. Gohan spent far more time raising his daughter, Pan.
  • Minato Namikaze: Minato Namikaze was the Fourth Hokage and one of the greatest ninja of his era.
  • Maes Hughes: Maes Hughes is undoubtedly one of the most dedicated men to his family. She's constantly showing off pictures of of beloved daughter to anyone who will look.
  • Spirit Albarn: Spirit Albarn may be a constant flirt and playboy, but he'll risk anything to protect his daughter, Maka.
  • Isshin Kurosaki: Isshin was once a Captian of the Gotie 13 in the Soul Society, but he gave up his powers to save the life of the woman he would eventually fall in love with and have three children. One of which being Ichigo Kurosaki.
#7 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@gemstone said:

Roy Harper

this on so many levels. my god. i am amazed to what happened to these 2 characters.

#8 Edited by NightFang (9959 posts) - - Show Bio

Young Justice version of Black Manta.

#9 Edited by Friskynesss (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightfang: Half way through Season 2, I kind of hated Aqualad for his impending betrayal. Black Manta was becoming super likable as a father T~T

#10 Posted by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio
Jack Murdock

#11 Posted by Mezmero (916 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there any good stories between Orion and Darkseid and/or Highfather? I imagine either one would be rather dark but I'm not an expert on New Gods. X-Men Origins: Deadpool featured a pretty awkward father/son story and the one in Bulleye's Greatest Hits was downright vicious. I also really liked the relationship between the Elric brothers and their dad Van Hoenheim.

#12 Edited by iceslick (779 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man, I'm surprised you didn't put Bruce Wayne as a great dad. Yeah, he's made some mistakes and been tough on his kids. But I still feel he's a great Dad to his 4 kids.

#13 Edited by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast boy was adopted by doom patrols rita and steve. I'd imagine steve was a good dad before he lost it and went supervillian. Those two are probably the only parents in comics I have a fascintation with.

Maybe StarMan second, but I never really saw him as a parent...

#14 Posted by paralaxsteve (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonathan Kent has to be one of the best dads in the comic book world the morals he taught Clark and the way he was able to cope with this child who had the powers that Clark had and not only did he not get completely freaked or take advantage of them and Clark himself but helped Clark deal with and control them.

#16 Posted by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred is a father to bruce

#17 Posted by dondave (35901 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman

#18 Posted by SupBatz (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian and Bruce :'(

#19 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

Damn you for bringing that up.

#20 Posted by Billy Batson (57905 posts) - - Show Bio

Tommy Monaghan and Sean Noonan.

Jack Knight and Ted Knight.

BB

#21 Edited by Saren (25555 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by Highball792 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Booster Gold and Rip Hunter...

#23 Posted by i_like_swords (13802 posts) - - Show Bio

#24 Edited by DeadpoolTattooGuy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine, because he is the best there is at what he does and what he does is

#25 Edited by Wolverine08 (40536 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpooltattooguy: Wolverine is my favorite character, but I'm not sure if he can count as a great dad since he has killed all his kids...

#26 Posted by TDK_1997 (14642 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Wayne.He was a great father to Damian.

#27 Posted by DeadpoolTattooGuy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: yeah, im pretty sure everyone will agree he should not be in charge of kids

#28 Edited by Wolverine08 (40536 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred deserves some respect here. I basically consider him Bruce's father because he helped make him the man he is and Bruce wouldn't be the same without him.

#29 Edited by DeadpoolTattooGuy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lang seems like a good dad from what I've seen.

#32 Edited by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite moments in comic book history. Jonathan Kent is the best dad ever.

#33 Posted by EvilPenguin543 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Lang.

#34 Posted by G-Man (31631 posts) - - Show Bio

@iceslick: I wanted to leave some for others to post. That's why I only posted a few.

Staff
#35 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this :3

#36 Edited by mversak (1 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Edited by wundagoreborn (323 posts) - - Show Bio

This story isn't over yet, but Steve Rogers has done a good job in crazy circumstances:

#38 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2140 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Overlander (464 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops had one great fatherly moment when he sent Nate into the future to be cured of the T.O. virus.

But, really he has daddy issues of his own. In his defense, he and Jean did spend significant time helping raise Nate in the future.

#40 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason, I expected a lot more Uncle Ben, or maybe some George Stacy.

#41 Edited by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of Kraven the Hunter is shameful! He is a great father!

Also, Happy Father's Day, Tony, and all you other dads out there

(totally forgot today was Father's Day....should probably call my pops, huh...)

#42 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Father's Day to all people ^_^

#43 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The feels train has no brakes

#44 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

#45 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

#46 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

As a young daddy myself, this was easily the saddest thing I've ever seen in a comic book.

This one hurt.

#47 Edited by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6093 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@gemstone said:

Roy Harper

They both tried so hard to be good working fathers and... and... *sob*

My recommendations are Jay Garrick (pre 52) and Tuxedo Mask. Hear me out.

Jay and his wife Joan were unable to have kids of their own, but they ALWAYS opened their home and hearts to all the young superheroes out there or Jay tried to mentor the young JSA members as best he can.. Bart Allen, J.J, Thunder, Stargirl, etc. He would give so much of himself to anyone and everyone, even Batman!

Tuxedo Mask was minding his own business going on a date with Usagi when Chibi-usa literally fell out of the sky! For several episodes of the anime he always was a kind father figure to her and talked to her about doing the right thing. And this was ages before he found out she's his daughter from the future! His being a good dad is instinctive.

#50 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@gemstone said:

Roy Harper

They both tried so hard to be good working fathers and... and... *sob*

My recommendations are Jay Garrick (pre 52) and Tuxedo Mask. Hear me out.

Jay and his wife Joan were unable to have kids of their own, but they ALWAYS opened their home and hearts to all the young superheroes out there or Jay tried to mentor the young JSA members as best he can.. Bart Allen, J.J, Thunder, Stargirl, etc. He would give so much of himself to anyone and everyone, even Batman!

Tuxedo Mask was minding his own business going on a date with Usagi when Chibi-usa literally fell out of the sky! For several episodes of the anime he always was a kind father figure to her and talked to her about doing the right thing. And this was ages before he found out she's his daughter from the future! His being a good dad is instinctive.