Halloween Jack O' Lantern Extravaganza!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Halloween is finally here. A day where I can wear as short of a skirt as I want, and no one can say anything about it. We've spent some time already discussing some good, bad, and some very sexy costumes you can pick up this Halloween, and now it's time to switch gears. Aside from dressing yourself up for Halloween, many people take the time and effort to decorate their houses with gravestones, fake spider webs, and spooky ambient music. Back in my day, we called them commies. While that's "cool" and all, we need to focus on something traditional, something delicious, and something awesome. Let's talk pumpkins. "Pumpkins? Pumpkins aren't cool!" Well, maybe you haven't seen all the cool pumpkins I've seen then.

Pumpkin carving is a super-sweet tradition. If you've never carved a pumpkin, then you've never lived. As a child, most of us carved pumpkins in the kitchen, and you got to make some pretty sweet and simple jack o'lanterns. Well, what you're about to see is those same carved pumpkins on some insane human growth hormones.Let's all celebrate Halloween with pumpkins that took longer to carve than actual time I put into my college papers!

No Caption Provided

Obviously, we're not talking about your typical, run-of-the mill carved pumpkins though. We're talking about pumpkins where people took the time and effort to turn these orange monstrosities into memorials for their favorite characters and objects from the world of nerd.

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided

Batman the Animated Series was and is what a comic book television show should be, and this pumpkin was and is what a carved pumpkin should be.

This pumpkin, back from 2007, is from a random gallery website on the web, and it depicts the logo from Batman the Animated series. It's a really cool that it's a stylized Batman logo, so when you're smashing pumpkins, and decide to throw the Dark Knight at someone else's head, they'll probably be scared half to death, thinking the soul of Batman is trapped within a pumpkin and has decided to extract its revenge on said person in front of the pumpkins path. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, Batman has no soul.

No Caption Provided

If you were ever to tell me that someone would take a perfectly good pumpkin and turn it into a Cylon head, complete with those eye lights, I would call you a liar of the highest caliber. Yet, here we are, and we have a giant pumpkin Cylon head right before our eyes.

This little beauty, the villain from the Battlestar Gallactica series and comics, it was found on the Downlo Tumblr site, and it seems like it came from this year. Aside from the light show, what I really liked about this pumpkin was that it's not just a straight through cut. There are layers to the carving in this one.

The best thing to do with this pumpkin is to put it on top of your car and pull people over. Then destroy the people you pulled over in the car for the good of the Cylon race. Think: If you didn't pull those people over them and end their human existence, then they'd just find a way to repopulate another planet which you spent so long devising how to destroy.

No Caption Provided

Wait a minute! THAT'S a pumpkin? This is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Obviously, this pumpkin was turned into R2 D2 from Star Wars (the less annoying robot). It was sculpted by Noel Dickover (umm...) and we found this one over at TechFever. Noel spent 11 hours turning a 40 pound pumpkin into the work of art.

This is a pumpkin I could never smash, mainly because I'd be pulling it around in a wagon and pretending to be CP3O, sans British accent. This pumpkin is full of depth and detail, and it's something I could never imagine could be a pumpkin. The layers alone are insane. Although it may look a tad crude, in the sense it's not perfect, it's probably one of the most amazing carved pumpkins I've ever seen.

No Caption Provided

I am Iron Man.. or Pumpkin Man... I guess that R2D2 pumpkin WAS the most insane carved pumpkin I had ever seen.Normally, when you carve a pumpkin, you just care out some shapes to make said pumpkin look like some item. Here, it's more than just shapes, the whole image has be sculpted into the pumpkin.

Scott Cummins had this Iron Man pumpkin on his site Pumpkin Gutter, where he, you guessed it, carves pumpkins. He carved this one back in 2008.

What I really liked about this pumpkin was that it is three dimensional. Also,lighting usually just fills in space that is supposed to be white, but the lighting is what really brings this pumpkin together. Aside from the eyes, the texture around the face helps create some soft lighting. However, this wasn't the coolest of the pumpkins that I've seen.

No Caption Provided

GET TO THA CHOPPA! This masterpiece pumpkin is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen, pumpkin-wise. This little Predator makes me want to hide out in the jungle and set up a bunch of traps. The guy who carved this puppy out is named Ray Villafane, a name a few of you may know. He actually designs toys for DC Direct, and more recently, he designed the Deadman Black Lantern figure for the Green Lantern Blackest Night set a couple years ago. This pumpkin comes from his website where he has pictures of carved pumpkins, sandcastles, and toys.

What's different about this pumpkin is that it's not one that needs a candle inside to make it stand out. Just like the Iron Man pumpkin, this one is a three-dimension pumpkin, and it has some insane detail, right down to the spikey-hair-things on his face. Man, this is so good that it makes me want to hunt Danny Glover in downtown Los Angeles. It's so good that it makes me want to fight Xenomorphs on Earth... twice. It's so good that it makes me want to see an Adrian Brodie movie featuring Danny Trejo.

There you have it, pumpkins that you don't wear on your head that won't turn your face into snakes. There were tons of these cool pumpkins on the net and it was so hard to choose, so I ask of you, what pumpkins have you seen that you love? Better yet, have you guys done some pumpkin carving this year?

DarkShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkShadows

Those are some pretty cool pumpkins.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Wow those are awesome, never tried anything that detailed!! The last 2 or 3 years I've done the Superman S-Shield, but never got around to carving one up this year

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By maxicere

Predator rocks!!!!!

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Larkin1388

Those pumpkins are awesome. This year I did a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Skull on my pumpkin this year.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I can't decide which is my favourite they are all so fab!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Larkin1388 said:

Those pumpkins are awesome. This year I did a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Skull on my pumpkin this year.

Pictures?

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are so cool. The Batman is awesome!!!

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Larkin1388

@inferiorego: Wish I had taken pictures. I carved it a week ago and the nose piece fell off yesterdday :(. I'll try and carve another today.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

rad.
BB

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WonderBoy1132

I did the batman one last year!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Decept-O
leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By leokearon

They are really good

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By EdwardWindsor

the predator one is fantastic, by far and away the best design i have seen detail wise

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By SpidermanWins

Bat-Pumpkin: I think I could make that one myself. I should.

Cylon-DecapitatO: I think I get how you might make that one. But how do you get the lights in there? (My first reaction "Wait was that Cyclops?" Second Reaction "Wait is that Shockwave?" Third Reaction "Oh, it's a Cylon)

R2D2 PK: I couldn't make that one. Maybe if I had help from all my freshman class?

Iron Pumpkin: That is so cool. I think I could make that. I also think it would take 20 pumpkins or more.

Pred-O-Lantern: HOLY Sh---what the---how is tha----How do you????----THAT IS SO AWESOME!

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Bestostero

The Batman one is pretty awesome, pumpkin carving never ceases to amaze me.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I can't load pictures, for whatever reason, but here is my pumpkin:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=187728534639502&set=a.106394686106221.14306.100002070717933&type=1&ref=nf

Based on a jack Kirby Panel.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#18  Edited By The Impersonator

It's so good that the Predators movie will be getting a sequel and I can't wait to watch it.

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NyxEquitis

Those are some amazing pieces of art. Not food, art.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GrimoireMyst

Liked all the designs but liked the Deathstar one representing this article the most. lol

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

All of 'em are awesome...but something about that Predator one makes me want it so bad!

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueninjapanther

those are some awesome pumpkins

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23  Edited By The Lobster

These people have way to much time and talent on their hands.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By moywar700

I like the pumkins =p

nice work

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eyz

That Pred rocks! It has been circulating the interwebs for quite some time no? Or is that a new pumpkin emulating that older one?

EGoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EGoD  Moderator

I get my mats from zombiepumpkins to do up my pumpkins every year, this year I did cryptkeeper, I was gonna do Gomez Addams too but my pumpkin carving knife snapped on me and I could not find another one anywhere. I've seen a bunch of the pumpkins where they've carved into the face like the alien and iron man ones posted here, they are amazing and just think of the hours upon hours it would take to do just one of those.