Halloween Costume Extravaganza 2012: The Bad

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Whether it's poorly made or the concept is just awful, we see bad Halloween costumes everywhere. Our first thought is usually "who would buy this and why?" As curious as we are about these questions, the answers are probably more terrifying than we can ever imagine.

Time for another round of terrible costume choices for the 2012 Halloween season! Last week, we checked out some really cool costumes: some of the best of the best. Now, with that out of the way, we can see what terrible costumes are on the Halloween store's shelves this year.

You're Not Ironic. You're lazy.

From left to right: Stoic Laziness: The Boy Wonder, Shameful Ranger, Alleged Spider-Molester, and Hipster Cowboy
From left to right: Stoic Laziness: The Boy Wonder, Shameful Ranger, Alleged Spider-Molester, and Hipster Cowboy

For the past three years, I've made mention of costumes just like this, and this is this year's crop of failure. There's a reason I keep mentioning the pile of failure these "costumes" are, and it's because they're not costumes. They're t-shirts. For the most part, these are some cool t-shirts. However, a cool t-shirt does not make a good costume, and a good costume makes a terrible business suit. Also, while we're at it, a good friend doesn't make a good model for your shirt. Could that Red Ranger model be any sadder?

When I see a dude wearing one of these costumes at a party, all I can imagine is that he was too broke to afford one of those costumes that highlights his man parts. You know what I'm talking about. That "Ring Toss Game" costume where you have to toss the rings onto the gentleman's crotch, and I'm using the term "gentleman" very loosely. Well, imagine that guy with no money and no sense of fun. That's who wears these costumes for Halloween.

These costumes all range from $10-$20. It's about the same price as a t-shirt. A few of these shirts come with a cape, some come with a belt, and one with a pair of web shooters. Wait, some people will wear a comic book shirt AND web shooters, but not a full on costume?

From "Cool" to "Creepy" in 5 Seconds

You can't unsee this...
You can't unsee this...

I know what you're thinking, "this isn't a terrible costume!" That's what I thought, at first. I was into these one-piece costumes, and slowly, but surely, just like what's happening to you right this second, I became horrified of these two costumes. Their always happy faces have turned my once blissful dreams into haunting nightmares filled with Enya songs and Domino's pizza.

So the idea is pretty cool. It's just one giant polyester suit that matches your favorite character's outfit. However, the idea really doesn't translate and it's mainly because the faces look so creepy. Also, have you ever seen anyone walking around in a Green Man outfit (or any other color) during the day? It's terrifying. What's even creepier is knowing that the only thing separating you from the person's naked body is a very thin layer of polyester.

These outfits will cost you $55, according to one website. I only found one review of the costumes and the reviewer gave it positive feedback; however, these costumes seem much more suited for a fetish ball than door-to-door trick or treating.

Costumes for People who Hate being Hugged

What's up with Slimer's crotch?

"Ahh! Kill it with fire!" That was my first reaction to seeing these two Zip-Lock Bags of the Halloween costume world. My second reaction was "Why do these exist?" I have yet to figure out the answer to this question. What we have here are two inflatable costumes powered by a tiny fan in order to give the illusion you're one of these over-weight characters.

These two trash bag costumes, like the skin-suits above, have a high level of creepiness sure to make all the kids you're near run in terror. The look on Slimer's face comes off as "too eager to talk to you because I haven't had human interaction in weeks," and the look on Jabba's face comes off as "I'm only happy when I'm eating Hot Pockets."

The Jabba costume is going to run you $70, and the Slimer one will cost you $55. Best part is that you get to carry a mini-fan around with you in order to keep these costumes "inflated." Don't worry, though, you only need numerous AA batteries, which are not included with either of these costumes.

These two costumes look cheap, clunky, and not fun at all. Sure, the idea of being Slimer and Jabba seems cool, but do you really wanted to be surrounded by wrinkled polyester all night in that suit with a fan going? To make matters worse, lots of the reviews online say that the Jabba costumes breaks easily. Well, that's $70 down the drain. You'd be better off as a sexy ghost.

Constipated Model #453

I just want to remind you that this once cost almost $100.
I just want to remind you that this once cost almost $100.

Where do they get some of these models? Better yet, how many pictures did they take before settling with this one? Usually, a model conveys an emotion or even an action. This guy looks like he's in the middle of playing Wii Tennis, sans controller.

Here we have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Raphael Classic Muscle costume. Yep, the name is just as terrible as the costume itself. You can tell it's a Raphael costume because the mask is red, but that's it. No sais or anything else that will help you determine who this is. I think the main thing this is missing is an actual mask because if you just showed me this, at a glance, I would not have I guessed "Raphael." I probably would have said something like "colorful bank robber?"

Well, at least is doesn't cost a lot, right? Nope. Originally, this chuck of foam cost $90, but it's been marked down. Prepare for savings everyone! Currently, this costume is on sale for $73, which is still about $70 more than I'd like to pay for this costume. For $73, you get the jumpsuit filled with muscle foam, the yellow chest piece, elbow pads, and the strip of red fabric which they call a mask.

Sadly, out of all the Ninja Turtle costumes online, this is by far the best of them because the rest of them are t-shirt costumes or ones for women which don't leave much to the imagination, if you know what I mean.

They Let You Wear Nice Shoes in the Asylum?

No Caption Provided

In all the bad attempts I've seen this year of someone trying to cash in on a successful franchise, this costume takes the cake. Aside from the fact it looks bad, the problem here is that they made numerous costumes out of this same idea. That's right, you can buy quit a few of these costumes with different masks stashed in the package. That's right, you can be The Joker or Scarecrow with this same outfit. I believe I also saw a Two-Face one floating around as well.

I wish I could have sat in the concept meeting for this costume because for obvious reasons, none of the people involved with the design of this costume had ever seen the character before in comics or on the big screen. They probably just just heard the words "Scarecrow" and "Asylum" and declared "We've got this! We don't need to see any source material!"

The hat looks like a stage prop from Torgo from the film Manos: The Hands of Fate, and the mask looks like a rejected design for Leatherface. Well, at least in Arkham Asylum, all prisoners get pistol holsters. Seriously, what are those supposed to be?

This costume is not only terrible, but it's pricey for what you actually get. It's going to cost you $55. If this puppy was like, $20, it wouldn't be a big deal. You get what you pay for, but $55? At least you get the pants, right? Nope. You don't get the pants. You get the shirt, the gun holster (they call it "straps"), and the mask for $55. You could buy Batman: Arkham City, game of the year edition, and still have $15 left over for that price. There's a reason this is the last one on this year's list. It's everything a costume shouldn't be.

Well, there's a good chunk of the mass amounts of bad Halloween costumes you can not pick up at your local Halloween store. Make sure to check back next week, when we take a look at some sexy outfits for this 2012 Halloween season. Spoiler alert: They're almost all terrible costumes.

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a writer, teacher, comedian, and founder of the Barely Watchable Network. Follow him on the twitter.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Baron_Emo

The sexy ghosts. Oh em gee, the sexy ghosts.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By GothamRed

the hipster cowboy has you in his cross-hairs

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By icysloth

If i could see any costume from any comic, I would like to see someone take the time to look like spider jerusalem. I'm not white enough to do it

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

@inferiorego said:

What the hell are these? lol

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Stormbox

Wow these sure are terrible. the ones that creep me out the most are those gimp-like superman and flash costumes

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Magian

Had a TMNT costume when I was a kid. Looked much better than this one. But it was a bit uncomfortable.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Manos...The Hands of Fate....

Speaking of hands, I am peeking through them as I hold them near my face as I gaze upon the atrocity which comprises the Superman and Flash "costumes" shown here.

Hands down, pun intended, the creepiest costumes without intending to be creepy I've ever seen.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnightRise

@GothamRed said:

the hipster cowboy has you in his cross-hairs

You don't even get his crosshairs.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By danhimself

you managed to make me feel like complete sh!t through the entire first part of this article....I just kept remembering three years ago when I had to go to a Halloween party last minute and didn't feel like spending $50-$100 on a costume that I was only wearing for one night just for the excuse of going to a party that featured a keg truck....so I put on a Green Lantern T-shirt, a black track jacket that had a green stripe across the front, a pair of black jeans, and got a cheap green domino mask at the costume store...add in my plastic Green Lantern ring and I was set and thought it was a pretty good costume up until now....after reading this I'm just ashamed

also the Flash body suit might not be to bad if you were to cut out the "face" part

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@ComicMan24 said:

@inferiorego said:

What the hell are these? lol

ugly, inflatable costumes

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magian

@inferiorego:No doubt about the ugly part lol

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@danhimself said:

you managed to make me feel like complete sh!t through the entire first part of this article....I just kept remembering three years ago when I had to go to a Halloween party last minute and didn't feel like spending $50-$100 on a costume that I was only wearing for one night just for the excuse of going to a party that featured a keg truck....so I put on a Green Lantern T-shirt, a black track jacket that had a green stripe across the front, a pair of black jeans, and got a cheap green domino mask at the costume store...add in my plastic Green Lantern ring and I was set and thought it was a pretty good costume up until now....after reading this I'm just ashamed

also the Flash body suit might not be to bad if you were to cut out the "face" part

Since we're facebook friends, I have no problem saying this: You're the worst.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I would love to own the Red Power Ranger shirt. I PROMISE I would not wear it as anything more than a shirt.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Magian

@danhimself said:

That is true. They are actually kinda good.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself

@ComicMan24 said:

@danhimself said:

I agree....I think just cutting out the face would be good enough but if you were really ambitious and did some modifying to the head and some how added some actual lightning ear thingers to it then it would be a great costume

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magian

@danhimself said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@danhimself said:

I agree....I think just cutting out the face would be good enough but if you were really ambitious and did some modifying to the head and some how added some actual lightning ear thingers to it then it would be a great costume

Not a bad suggestion.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

@inferiorego said:

@danhimself said:

I agree....but there was free beer to anyone wearing a "costume"

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Magian

@inferiorego said:

@danhimself said:

lol Imagine if you weren't friends.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By judasnixon

Who gave Slimer a "Rusty Venture"?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself

@ComicMan24 said:

@inferiorego said:

@danhimself said:

lol Imagine if you weren't friends.

probably would have been banned

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Magian

@danhimself:You never know lol

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Inverno

These weren't that bad... trust me I've seen worst

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Tshirts are cool , not costumes though. Otherwise I would be in costume anytime I put my spiderman/ironman or batman costume tshirts on.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

I've seen the Superman morph suit in person. You can actually zip up the back and tuck in the face part so it's just a Superman bodysuit with your face. Gotta have the right body to pull that one off though...

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zackattack529

There should be an article on GOOD Costumes to wear this year.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@zackattack529 there was an article about that last week. In fact, it's linked at the beginning of the article.

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kiltro95

Actually for the animated heroes costumes if you cut off the head and maybe the hands and replace the belts they could make some pretty good costumes.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#28  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

My God these are terribleee

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Imagine_Man15

The moment I read "Alleged Spider Molester" I knew this was going to be a good read. I wasn't disappointed.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By BritishMonkey

Jabba the Wutt

lililily222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lililily222

Wow these sure are terrible. the ones that creep me out the most are those gimp-like superman and flash costumes.......

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mbecks14

hahaha

I think the Flash one could work if you cut out the face

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Stormbox

@lililily222 said:

Wow these sure are terrible. the ones that creep me out the most are those gimp-like superman and flash costumes.......

WTF you stole my comment?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ARMIV2

With that Torgo comment I will now no longer be able to look at Scarecrow without hearing Torgo's theme song.

red_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By red_titan

Adults dressing up on Halloween, A.K.A. How to look like a virgin for the rest of your life.

tonyzhao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tonyzhao

Oh,it looks very good,I like the costume,Everyone hope they have a good time in Halloween,but I think you must have a Halloween costume firstly ~~~

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BoyWander

A T-shirt works as a costume if you're superboy. but that's about it.

MikeStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikeStark

Damn, I was planning on wearing that exact same Scarecrow outfit along with the exact same shoes. :P Damn! Now me and my buddies have to find something besides everyday t-shirts. :D

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah these are pretty bad. For my part I'm just gonna go as a zombie I think, make it easy on myself.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jorgevy

I dont get what's so bad about the shirt costumes. Sometimes you really don't have the time and resources to put something better together. And IMO it's a waste to do it for Halloween since it's only ONE night. I only waste more resources and much more time doing cosplay stuff for Carnaval which lasts for a week.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kid Apollo

Slimmers got bulge

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I thought the demonic clown costume I wore 2 years ago made me look stupid.