Guardians of the Galaxy review

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This review will contain some spoilers. The things marked in a spoiler tag contain some major spoilers so read with caution. (Or better idea, don't read the review at all until you've seen the film or just scroll down to see the rating score)

So since this is my first blog, I just wanted to introduce myself a little. I'm Knightsofdarkness2 and I'm from Somalia but I live in UAE, I'm a comic fan, gamer, science fan and collector. My first name is Mohammed. You can basically ask me more questions in the comment section below or in my ask me thread. :)

Okay, now to the actual review:

This movie was by far Marvel's biggest risk so far. They're introducing a team where basically no one knows or cares about (before the film was announced) but now this movie turns to be one of Marvel studio's best (and one of their highest grossing) films ever, they even put the Guardians of the Galaxy in the Marvel 75th anniversary magazine IIRC.

The film starts off as we see young Peter Quill (Star-Lord) and how he lost someone close to him (not going to spoil it for the sake of this being a "some" spoilers review) and how he's abducted by the Ravagers to bring him back to Peter's father but the leader of the Ravagers, Yondu had a different plan, they chose to take him as their own and never tell him about his father, they trained him to be the perfect thief and even gave him a ship called the Milano, named after Peter's childhood crush Alyssa Milano (and yes the film makes some real life references, mostly from the 70's).

No Caption Provided

Several years later we see him as the now adult Peter Quill, he's more arrogant and more of a ladies man, he's also an accomplished thief . He stumbles upon the orb, a powerful object which Thanos seeks. He is then chased by Korath the Pursuer but manages to escape with the orb. We then see Gamora (who is known as the daughter of Thanos, even though she really isn't) she is then ordered to find the orb for her "father" but she secretly plans to betray him and sell the orb. We then see Quill travel to Xander trying to sell the orb, but once he told the shop owner that Korath, who chased Star Lord for the orb, worked with Ronan (who also works with Thanos). He then quickly tells Peter to leave since he doesn't want the orb if Ronan is involved, we then see Gamora trying to steal the orb from Star Lord, Groot and Rocket also get involved (who we see earlier in the movie when Peter is trying to sell the orb, they're also thieves as well) who are trying to catch Peter since he has a huge bounty on his head after stealing the orb. We then see them get caught and arrested by the Nova corps. Then she offers to split her payment when she sells the orb to the Collector if Peter, Groot and Rocket help her escape. We then see them form an uneasy allegiance and escape, but things go wary when they try to sell the orb to the Collector and find out that the orb carries an infinity gem, a very powerful artifact that can give someone incredible power, but it usually kills a normal mortal being if the gem is touched, which is why it's sealed in an orb. Things go bad and then they find themselves chased by Ronan and his army and the Ravagers (since Peter quit the the group earlier in the movie and has the orb) and they slowly turn from a bunch of criminal idiots into heroes when they decide to protect the orb so it can't fall into Ronan's hands and cause incredible danger.

No Caption Provided

I love their transformation from criminal to hero, which is why I love this film so much. We first see them as criminals with sad pasts and we see them turn to heroes at the course of the film. The humor in this film is top notch as well and had me and all the peeps in the cinema pretty much die out of laughter. We also see some easter eggs in the film as well. It also had an end credit scene (as per usual). All the characters in this film were awesome IMO and Chris Pratt played Star Lord so well, same goes to Bradley Cooper who played Rocket Racoon (who stole the movie, he was basically the best thing in the entire film).

No Caption Provided

The action is great as well. Love all the spaceship action and fight scenes. The end credits, was disappointing however (not going to spoil it here).

No Caption Provided

I also love all the 70's references and music. That was one of the best things in the film. The film also balances the humor, action and the drama and tragedy pretty well. It also introduces some parts that will surely affect the rest of the Marvel cinematic universe (I will talk about this more on my upcoming blog). The villain of the film (Ronan) wasn't very memorable though, which is another con this film has.

The film was a joy to watch and it's a film worth watching which brings me to my final verdict:

No Caption Provided

*All gifs belong to their respective owners*

*ignore the "S" in my score card, damn typo*

That's it for my review. Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading and stay tune!

No Caption Provided

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This took a longer time making than I expected.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster
Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I love how you say they have to stop Ronan from creating incredible danger, then immediately show a gif of Rocket shooting things. XD

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I give it 9/10

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved this film as well. It is my favourite Marvel film to date and it was just non-stop fun from the start. Not knowing the characters (I admit it, I had never read a GOTG comic-book before the movie) made it even better, because I wasn't constantly comparing their origin stories with their comic-book counterparts'.
What would have been awesome, however, is to have Star-Lord explain what his element gun was and how it worked (sometimes it shot laser-beams and sometimes it shot electric discharges), I think audiences would have found that weapon interesting and maybe even iconic (think lightsabers or phasers).

Great read, bro!

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well written review! I encourage you to continue with other films.

- TAS

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nice review man

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I give it 9/10

Agreed. I gave 4-4.5/5, considering I gave Winter Soldier 5/5 and I didn't find this to be quite up to that level.

Good review. Rocket is the sh*t. Can't believe I never read this group's comics until about a year or so ago.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good review I give it a 8.5/10

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love reading reviews.

Beata

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I think I gave it a 3/5 on my first review. I went back to see it a 2nd time and feel asleep. so...

Winter Soldier was far superior from the MCU this year imo.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@madeinbangladesh said:

I give it 9/10

Agreed. I gave 4-4.5/5, considering I gave Winter Soldier 5/5 and I didn't find this to be quite up to that level.

Good review. Rocket is the sh*t. Can't believe I never read this group's comics until about a year or so ago.

i liked guardians more than winter soldier

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@surfingthehighway said:

I loved this film as well. It is my favourite Marvel film to date and it was just non-stop fun from the start. Not knowing the characters (I admit it, I had never read a GOTG comic-book before the movie) made it even better, because I wasn't constantly comparing their origin stories with their comic-book counterparts'.

What would have been awesome, however, is to have Star-Lord explain what his element gun was and how it worked (sometimes it shot laser-beams and sometimes it shot electric discharges), I think audiences would have found that weapon interesting and maybe even iconic (think lightsabers or phasers).

Great read, bro!

Yeah, the film is one of my favourite Marvel films as well. Star Lord's gun is an elemental gun which can shoot each of the four elements (air, earth, water and fire) which is why it shoots different stuff in the course of the movie, I'm pretty sure each element has a button on the gun so he could control which one he shoots. It's explained more in the comics IIRC. I do think the gun could be iconic as well, Rocket Racoon's gun was awesome as well.

Thanks for reading!

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@knightsofdarkness2:

Aw, now this is a great review! ^__^ Well done, mate! :D

Really loved watching this movie so much. Especially with Rocket and Groot. I hope they get their own movie together. xD

And agreed about Ronan. =/ Shame we only saw Thanos for like a minute.

What's your comic book movie of the year so far by the way?

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

@knightsofdarkness2:

Really loved watching this movie so much. Especially with Rocket and Groot. I hope they get their own movie together. xD

Thanks! My favourite superhero film of the year is Winter Soldier, followed closely by Guardians of the Galaxy, then X-Men Days of Future Past and after that Amazing Spiderman 2. How would you rank them? :)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

@knightsofdarkness2:

Thanks! My favourite superhero film of the year is Winter Soldier, followed closely by Guardians of the Galaxy, then X-Men Days of Future Past and after that Amazing Spiderman 2. How would you rank them? :)

C'mon, man... I was gonna trick Samimista and tell him you already wrote your favourite in the review :) You killed the joke...

- TAS

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Lol whoops, sorry for killing your joke, they seriously need to make a book/movie of how I always ruin your jokes, they should call it The Killing Joke :P.

And whoever got the reference, then god bless you lol.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2:

I'll never forgive you... and that's a lame reference :) I kid, I kid.

- TAS

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey:

Eeep! O____O

I don't wanna be caught! D=

People already try to trap me because I eat out of their garbage...I'm a raccoon!

...You're after my cardboard mansion, aren't you? >___>

@knightsofdarkness2:

You know, I still have yet to see Winter Soldier and Amazing Spider-Man 2. O______O

I am so behind with movies! Did you review Winter Soldier? =O

Hehe. Guardians of the Galaxy was easily my favorite. ^___^

I was a little skeptical at first with the previous trailers? Was worried the movie would go overboard with the humor?

I'm glad it balanced everything out though.

And Days of Future Past, really liked the Mystique and Beast love story. ^__^ That was a cute twist.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista:

What the heck?... You haven't watched CA: The Winter Soldier and ASM2?... have you been living under a rock or what? I kid, I kid :P

Uh huh... I'm a hunter and I'm hunting you down #teamfarewellsausage

- TAS

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista:

What the heck?... You haven't watched CA: The Winter Soldier and ASM2?... have you been living under a rock or what? I kid, I kid :P

Uh huh... I'm a hunter and I'm hunting you down #teamfarewellsausage

- TAS

Hehe, I live under a rock outside of your Mother Base! =O I'm waiting to infiltrate so I can steal your wolf and sheep!

Noooooo! D= I'll take you down! O__O For I am...Rainbow Raccoon! Solid Snake's unknown sidekick. I'm just a secret character in MGS1 that nobody has discovered. =O I'm that good at hiding! XD

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista:

Nah ah... I wont be allowing a nuclear inspection any sooner :)

- TAS

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2:

You know, I still have yet to see Winter Soldier and Amazing Spider-Man 2. O______O

I am so behind with movies! Did you review Winter Soldier? =O

Hehe. Guardians of the Galaxy was easily my favorite. ^___^

I was a little skeptical at first with the previous trailers? Was worried the movie would go overboard with the humor?

I'm glad it balanced everything out though.

And Days of Future Past, really liked the Mystique and Beast love story. ^__^ That was a cute twist.

Awesome. I haven't reviewed Winter Soldier yet but I am planning to, but I will probably have to give the film a rewatch though considering I watched it a while ago.

And yeah, pretty much everyone was skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy considering the trailers made it seem like it was straight-up comedy (it kinda was, but the tone of the film was balanced, but it has more comedy then most CBM films). But I stopped being skeptical a couple weeks before release because most good films tend to be skeptical before release, it turns out I was right and it turned out to be awesome but it was still hard to not be a little bit skeptical though. :D

Days of Future Past was awesome! Magneto in the film was so cool! Loved Mystique and Beast in the film as well. :)

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would give it 7,5/10 while Avengers got 8,5/10. It was quite good, but it could be better.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't full agree with it, but awesome review man!

I think I gave it a 3/5 on my first review. I went back to see it a 2nd time and feel asleep. so...

Winter Soldier was far superior from the MCU this year imo.

I think we have mostly similar taste in films. I saw GotG a second time as well, and while I didn't fall asleep it did quickly lose my interest towards the middle. However, I gotta say, the visuals were still amazing.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I give it 8/10, I felt Gamora was blandly featured which dragged the movie down imo. After a strong introduction, by the end she's nothing more than the token female member who's job is to kiss the lead, be rescued at some point and not be funny. The other main female character on the other hand, Nebula, was the most memorable villain in the film and made want to see more of her.

A great movie overall but also one that benefits from the hype of the moment.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: She didn't even kiss the lead IIRC, plus she refused all of Peter's advances to her. She's also one of the strongest in the group, she wasn't even rescued anyway. But I do agree that the film is great.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Great review man, GotG was probably my favorite Marvel movie yet.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks bro! It's also one of my favourite Marvel movies as well. Definitely makes it in my Top 5.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jokerpoker said:

Thanks bro! It's also one of my favourite Marvel movies as well. Definitely makes it in my Top 5.

I thought it was a wonderful film - a seamless combination of sci-fi, drama and comedy, although the overload of action was kinda off putting.

- TAS

dean1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool review. Good film.