Guardians of The Galaxy -Ant-man =Marvel waste?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evilvegeta74

Marvel has to be out of their minds to actually invest in such projects. Are they serious we're talking about (Honey I Shrunk the watever) I mean Ant-man movie. Didn't we see (Honey I shrunk the watever) sorry Ant-Man years ago or similar movies years ago. At any rate I don't imagine people coming out in the masses regardless of the fact the guy is an Avenger. I think they would have done better just letting him use the Yellow Jacket identity for whats thats worth. Now moving right along, there is the Gurdians of the Galaxy thing, yeah i remember them as a kid, I also remember the title getting cancelled, possibly due to a lot of sells. Once again I feel like this movie will be a financial waste and likely go almost direct to Dvd in amonths time after it's release. There is a fan base for these guys but I just don't see them bringing in a huge profit. They are supposed to be dealing with Thanos. I can think of a better group of guys to deal with Thanos and the way marvel adaptations work, these guys could pass( See below). Just add Starlord and Rocket, people are salivating over them.The group of guys in the pic below are far more profitable and more known than the Guardians anyway.IThere a number of character I would consider making a movie about before , going down the Honey I Shrunk the Watever) I mean Ant-man or Guardians of the Galaxy . Just an opinion, and you can't throw anything at me, I have an imaginary shield up.

My version of Guardians of the Galaxy.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By kingjoeg

Ant-man has edgar wright behind it and I have loved all of his films so far, it should be good especially if the film has ultron and the wasp in it.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

@kingjoeg said:

Ant-man has edgar wright behind it and I have loved all of his films so far, it should be good especially if the film has ultron and the wasp in it.

My thoughts exactly. As a fan of Wright's work I'm really looking forward to Ant-Man. So much that, as a matter of fact, I'm going to start reading Ant-Man comics.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Those are the 2 marvel movies I want to see most.

this

also, some years ago, some people wrote the exact same text about Iron Man, captain america and thor.

look where they are now...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

my biggest problem so far is that just because some people don't like or don't know that much about Ant-man they assume that the movie is going to fail

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Having a large fan base or not means less than nothing to the success of a movie 

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By cameron83

I agree with you,I think they are also making movies for black panther.It's like DC making a movie for damian wayne

TheMinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMinister

Guardians of the Galaxy is a risk worth taking. They may not be well known, but Marvel is branching out to other projects. I like it. Ant Man, I think, will do great with Wasp and possibly the creation of Ultron in it.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Magian

While I agree that the choicesmight indeed look a bit peculiar, you never know. They might actually be good.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman

The only thing disappointing about Ant-Man is that it's Scott Lang and not Hank Pym. It's something different then you normally expect though.  

Guardians of the Galaxy I'm really really looking forward too. Star Lord, Gamora. Groot Rocket Raccoon, Riddick uh I mean Drax the Destroyer in a pure sci-fi cosmic superhero movie. Just take my money already.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By zackattack529

They are both wastes, especially since those two movies will be harder to reach out to the General public, only fans of the characters will pay to see it, it should be fine since the geek culture has risen in past years, so sales won't be a problem for either. But I do feel there should have been mention of them in the Avengers movies to get people interested or eager to see either.

The only one id PAY to see is Ant-man, only because Wright is directing it. Edgar Wright may be one of the top 20 best current directors and yet he is very unappreciated.

So therefore I will definitely pay to see the movie, midnight opening and all just to support what i know will be decent to good, and i get to learn more about a character i don't know too much about or care for.

I will not pay to see guardians, ill probably see it online or a friend invites me to see it. I don't see that film being good or having a sequel, but they'll most likely appear in the Avengers 2.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jorgevy

I seriously would like to hear people explain to me (the ones who say only fans of Antman and GotG will pay to see it) how the previous Marvel cinematic U movies were so sucessful? dont tell me only the fans paid to see it? because before those movies most of those characters weren't that known and didn't have tha big of a fan base (certainly not big enough to make those numbers at the BO) so who the heck watched them? hmmm I guess maybe it was random people who didn't knew the characters but are now fans! and those same people will now watch other Marvel movies to get to know more characters, new characters. And with some people it will happen the exact same it did with Ironman and Thor, they will meet the characters and enjoy them, not having any previous contact with comics or even comic book movies

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@BlueLantern1995 said:

likewise

sillypoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sillypoo

I think Guardians of the Galaxy is an opportunity to bring something new to the superhero movie stage. It would have that Star Wars, futuristic space adventure feel that has not been seen in many hit movies in the last few years. I think it has potential to be awesome, and I look forward to it very much.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
I personally couldn't care less about either.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

Once upon a time, there was a poor little character named Iron Man. Iron Man was a C-list character at best, and only had a teeny tiny fanbase. Then one day a wizard named John Favreau gave Iron Man a movie in 2008. All the townspeople loved Iron Man so much, he made millions of dollars, had 2 sequels which also made millions, starred in the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time, and became a top-name at Marvel Comics. And then he lived happily ever after. The end.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eternal19

@danhimself said:

my biggest problem so far is that just because some people don't like or don't know that much about Ant-man they assume that the movie is going to fail

this, no one outside of the comic book community gave a rats hat about Iron Man or Thor before the movies.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By INLIFE

@Gambit1024 said:

Once upon a time, there was a poor little character named Iron Man. Iron Man was a C-list character at best, and only had a teeny tiny fanbase. Then one day a wizard named John Favreau gave Iron Man a movie in 2008. All the townspeople loved Iron Man so much, he made millions of dollars, had 2 sequels which also made millions, starred in the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time, and became a top-name at Marvel Comics. And then he lived happily ever after. The end.

This...................The world constantly changes in unpredictable ways, it is extremely ridiculous.

I am looking forward to both movies. Ant-man would be interesting, but I am currently interested in the Guardians of the Galaxy the most.

This is a great time to be a comic book reader..........The whole world is starting to take comics seriously, especially the science.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

@Eternal19 said:

@danhimself said:

this, no one outside of the comic book community gave a rats hat about Iron Man or Thor before the movies.

Well Iron Man is a more appealing concept to non comic readers than say Ant-man and people know of Thor because hes similar to the one in Norse mythology.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@INLIFE said:

This is a great time to be a comic book reader..........The whole world is starting to take comics seriously, especially the science.

I agree. This is exactly why we're the ones who shouldn't be complaining that *insert character's name* is getting a movie. Like the B, C and D characters or not, it's paving the way towards more comic book movies. By this time next year even, we might be talking about a Heroes for Hire movie, or Black Panther, or Dr. Strange, or hell, even Cloak and Dagger. We should be thankful that the lesser knowns are getting their chance, rather than wait for the next dumb reboot or remake. Damn Marvel to hell for taking risks.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Gotta be perfectly honest: it's called Marvel pushing their luck. They've been riding high for four years with every movie being considered gold by their fans. Now they want to have a little fun.

We, as fans, need to keep them on their toes.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By INLIFE

@Gambit1024 said:

Damn Marvel to hell for taking risks.

Money is talking.......They're listening.

There will be a day when they will push what they have too far.....

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eternal19

@INLIFE said:

@Gambit1024 said:

This...................The world constantly changes in unpredictable ways, it is extremely ridiculous.

I am looking forward to both movies. Ant-man would be interesting, but I am currently interested in the Guardians of the Galaxy the most.

From my experience the world is just taking comic book movies seriously not comic books themselves. I still get a lot of scoffs and laughs when im reading a comic in public

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By INLIFE

@Eternal19 said:

@INLIFE said:

@Gambit1024 said:

From my experience the world is just taking comic book movies seriously not comic books themselves. I still get a lot of scoffs and laughs when im reading a comic in public

I just read it again and realized that it was not as detailed as it should be.

I meant that people are starting to take the superheroes in movies seriously. There are constantly articles attempting to explain the science we are seeing in movies. Especially Iron Man. Sorry for not being as detailed as I should be.

However, people will start to look at comics somewhat seriously when are technology is developed to a very, Very powerful level (+100 year).

People also do see me differently at my high school when I open a comic book...............I think I was the only one in my entire district with a Marvel Unlimited Comics account.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gambit1024

@INLIFE said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Damn Marvel to hell for taking risks.

Money is talking.......They're listening.

There will be a day when they will push what they have too far.....

Well until then, I will continue to love the movies. Spielberg took a risk with Jaws, and look at it now. (I know the comparison is a stretch, but you get the point.)

The only one I'm afraid that won't do well is Guardians of the Galaxy. The space aspect seen in Thor and in several parts of the Avengers didn't exactly test well with the critics and casual audiences, but Marvel/Disney seem extremely confident in this project. I'll back it up and will go see it, but everyone and their mother knows that, when it boils down to it, is all about the talking raccoon with a giant laser gun.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By INLIFE

@Gambit1024 said:

I'll back it up and will go see it, but everyone and their mother knows that, when it boils down to it, is all about the talking raccoon with a giant laser gun.

Was there ever any doubt?

I will also go and attempt to back up the movie.

There this feeling me that it is going to be the Green Lantern movie all over again.........with more action.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I'm excited for Ant-Man. Not so much Guardians of the Galaxy.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gambit1024

@INLIFE said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I'll back it up and will go see it, but everyone and their mother knows that, when it boils down to it, is all about the talking raccoon with a giant laser gun.

There this feeling me that it is going to be the Green Lantern movie all over again.........with more action.

Nope. Just putting it out there.

I don't think it will be Green Lantern bad, though. The Marvel movie guys are much more talented. Besides, Whedon's overlooking the script, and James Gunn is a perfect director for this movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I look at it this way, if Ant-Man can have a successful movie, then imagine the doors that will open for characters like Black Panther, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, etc. I mean really, if ANT FREAKIN' MAN can have a movie and it rack in money like Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America, think of what characters Marvel will be willing to make movies of next?

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By _Black

Of course I would like to see other characters get a movie before GotG and Ant-Man do, but I'll support it nevertheless because it could lead to other movies with other characters being made.

Alch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alch21

@SmashBrawler: Mighty Avengers by Dan Slott.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By INLIFE

@Gambit1024 said:

@INLIFE said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Nope. Just putting it out there.

I don't think it will be Green Lantern bad, though. The Marvel movie guys are much more talented. Besides, Whedon's overlooking the script, and James Gunn is a perfect director for this movie.

We shall see how good it is when it comes out!

You know what I hate most about comic book movies? The Waiting...........

My inside are already burning just waiting for The Man of Steel to come out. I might go to it with a date..........Probably not, I doubt that even my mother will come and she is all about the Avengers! Whenever she sees a comic book movie, she says that the movie was good, "but not as good as The Avengers." ........I'll just go to The Man of Steel alone, I have really high expectations.

P.S: I always wanted to see a Supreme Power movie, that would be awesome..........and I never say awesome.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By chalkshark

Edgar Wright has yet to make a movie I didn't like. I'm actually more interested in seeing Antman, than I am the next Ironman, Thor, and Captain America movies. As far as Guardians Of The Galaxy goes, it's all about the marketing, which is true of every film. You have to understand that movies attract a much larger audience than the comic book source material does. The majority of the people who go see Guardians of the Galaxy will have never heard of the property, nor read a single issue of the comic. They'll come because they like science fiction, or science fantasy, or they really thought the trailer looked amazing. The presence of the talking raccoon will make parents think it's a film they can bring their children out to see. As long as Disney doesn't drop the ball on marketing for the film, as it did with John Carter, Guardians Of The Galaxy should do fine at the box office.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lykopis

You are such a trouble maker!

For me its them milking all they can out of the interest shown by the general public for superhero movies. Although it appears they are catering to comic fans --- they aren't. And any story dealing with comics will get me seeing it (although I have yet to see Batman's latest >_>)

Where is Wonder Woman. That is the movie I am waiting for.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@TheVoiceOfReason said:

@Eternal19 said:

@danhimself said:

Well Iron Man is a more appealing concept to non comic readers than say Ant-man and people know of Thor because hes similar to the one in Norse mythology.

Exactly a charismatic billionaire genius fighting villains a in a super powered suit is a lot more appealing than a team with a talking tree and a raccoon or someone called Ant-Man, I don't see either of these 2 movies doing that well at the box office because of the bizarre premises.

TheMinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheMinister

I thought the Ant Man movie will feature Hank and Scott....

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xybernauts

@War Killer:

@Jorgevy said:

I seriously would like to hear people explain to me (the ones who say only fans of Antman and GotG will pay to see it) how the previous Marvel cinematic U movies were so sucessful? dont tell me only the fans paid to see it? because before those movies most of those characters weren't that known and didn't have tha big of a fan base (certainly not big enough to make those numbers at the BO) so who the heck watched them? hmmm I guess maybe it was random people who didn't knew the characters but are now fans! and those same people will now watch other Marvel movies to get to know more characters, new characters. And with some people it will happen the exact same it did with Ironman and Thor, they will meet the characters and enjoy them, not having any previous contact with comics or even comic book movies

I think that @evilvegeta74: 's argument isn't entirely unwarranted and I don't think it makes him a trouble maker. He's just voicing his opinion. I mean Marvel has done a great job so far for the most part, but let's keep our feet on the ground for a second. Marvel was able to get their feet wet and they got a sense of what worked and what didn't workbefore they made their live action movies.

• One could argue that The Avengers got previous exposure in the Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Avengers 2 and Next Avengers DVDs before it became a live action movie.
  • The Ultimate Avengers movie kind of doubled as a Captain America origin movie as well, and it was successful.
  • Iron Man also got exposure 1994-1996 in his show Iron Man: The Animated Series.

Basically, the public did get prior exposure to Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor before their live action debut and this exposure allowed the Marvel Studios to beta test their characters before they put them out to the market. Antman has never really been that strong a character on screen thus far or at least he hasn't been as strong as characters like Thor. It's possible Antman (and I assume Wasp) isn't strong enough to carry a movie by themselves. And unlike all the other characters, GOTG has never had extended exposure onscreen, although they did have a cameo in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. So there is an argument that GOTG and Antman may not pan out simply because Marvel may not have determined what is necessary to make these movies work.

So I can see where @evilvegeta74 is coming from. But that said, I think that anything with the Marvel label has a good chance of being profitable.

I personally think Marvel's plan is to lower the cost for the Avengers sequel by creating the Antman and GOTG movies. This way they can add new blood and robust space element to the next movie, so I think it's a good idea to make these movies.

• The Special F/X used in GOTG may layout the foundation for space in the next Avengers flick.
  • The F/X in Antman will be used to integrate Antman's powers into the movies adding a new element to the next Avengers flick.
TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#38  Edited By TheCannon

I agree 1000%. Make a Black Panther and Dr. Strange movie already!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By fodigg

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I can't wait for guardians of the galaxy

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By RedQueen

Excited for both; been excited about the long delayed Ant-Man since Wright dropped hints years ago.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By evilvegeta74

I think if marvel wanted to go diverse, gritty and have that serious tone in a movie Luke Cage and iron Fist would be the way I'd go, before doing another Honey I shrunk the kids , in hero fashion first. I also feel that there is a long list of Cosmic characters whom are more popular than the Guardians, maybe Disney wants to market Rocket Racoon. I will support the movies regardless, I just don't agree with bringing Ant-Man and Guardians Of the Galaxy to the big screen. They should have put them out on Dvd in animated versions first to get a read on the sales. I'm sorry Ant-Man and Guardians fans, but if the comic companies start seeing failures in comic adaptations in the theatre, that means Dc and marvel as well as other comic companies will eventually abandon the idea of the Xmen, Batman ,Gl , etc.... being made into live action films. So what I'm saying is that the companies need to make the best character choices for these movies,perhaps even ask fans through online polls, which I'm 100% that marvel fans would have never voted for these two movie, this is something, I feel can't be disagreed with. I don't know about you guys out there, but i wanna see my favorite characters on the big screen, while these movies are still the in thing with the public/ or as some may say (the getting is good ).

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ezekael

Lets see... Big Budget Space Epic..

Sounds like my thing.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Superguy0009e

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Those are the 2 marvel movies I want to see most.@sillypoo said:

I think Guardians of the Galaxy is an opportunity to bring something new to the superhero movie stage. It would have that Star Wars, futuristic space adventure feel that has not been seen in many hit movies in the last few years. I think it has potential to be awesome, and I look forward to it very much.

@TheMinister:
BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45  Edited By BKole

Sorry mate, but this is a meaningless arguement. Why would a studio waste their money on the Matrix, which doesn't already have an existing fan-base? Perhaps because the story is good, the idea is promising and it has a clever, innovative and interesting directory behind it. I dunno, maybe if people stopped getting butthurt over their favourite characters getting passed up to let 'crap' characters like Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ant-Man get made, we might live in a comic-reading community where we don't fling turds at each new title coming out because Batman isn't getting his Bat-pole out and Catwoman's Cup size has reduced.

Frankly, I want to see Ant-Man. I will enjoy it, because I am a big fan of Hank Pym, and to say it's a waste of time is as meaningful an argument as why do Fish live in pools instead of streams. Inconsequential.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

No and here's why:

Ant-Man = Edgar Wright

Guardians of the Galaxy = capitalize on the curiosity surrounding Thanos and dub it as a mandatory viewing experience before Avengers 2