Posted by k4tzm4n (40918 posts) - - Show Bio

MY HEART CAN'T HANDLE THIS MANY FEELS, DAMMIT! First, BATMAN & ROBIN #18 obliterated my emotions on Wednesday, and today, Green Lantern: The Animated Series hit me with a superbly heartfelt finale. Seriously, producer Giancarlo Volpe wasn't lying when he said this finale would have "lots of feels."

It's not all tears, though. When it's not tugging at your heartstrings, it's blowing you away with some of the most visually stunning and exciting action sequences in the series. This is science fiction action at its finest and most joyous, folks. Virtually every character here had a chance to shine and make you cheer during the ginormous battle. Larvox slashing away with six swords filled me with bliss, Ch'p saving Guy was adorable, Razer's blade was brutal and who doesn't love seeing Kilowog devastate with some massive firepower? All of this is going on as the vast space is littered with various other members of the Green Lantern Corps engaging Aya's army. It's a real treat for our eyeballs and the gigantic space battle was nothing short of spectacular.

Before diving into the heavy feels, the show offered quite a few laughs as Guy Gardner continued his snarky attitude. He's an arrogant jerk, but they've managed to make him a lovable one. He even has the brass to hilariously interrupt a fantastic and touching moment between Kilowog and Razer ("YAWN!").

The opening speech by a Guardian was a lovely parting note for the show, too. They know they're facing impossible odds, but that won't deter their spirits and they'll fight to preserve the great thing they have going. It's clear we're no longer talking about organic life vs. Anti-Aya... we're talking about the show's creators vs. CN's terrible decision not to renew the program. It's nice to see them get a well deserved jab in before departing and certainly something long-term fans of the show will appreciate.

Razer and Aya... man, this dynamic has been handled masterfully. I was super skeptical at first, but this blossomed into a shockingly powerful and gripping love story. I won't dive into details -- not even vague ones -- but it yet again delivers plenty of genuinely heartbreaking moments. It's a beautiful conclusion to a fantastic tale, that's all I'll say.

This finale had a firm grip on my emotions and didn't falter for even a second. If I wasn't shocked or saddened by the events taking place, I was cheering and ecstatic over the insanely fun action and beautifully impressive visuals. Brilliant job, Green Lantern: The Animated Series. It's horrible to know the show is no more, but 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, right? I salute you and truly hope there will be a blu-ray release of the complete series.

Oh, and way to tease us with that ending! That was every bit as powerful and exciting as any post-credits sequence in a Marvel Studios film.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. He wants to live in an alternate universe where GL:TAS action figures were made and the show was renewed for a second season.

Staff
#1 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

We all knew it would end this way.

#2 Posted by krspaceT (1473 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe the show can channel Family Guy and return?

#3 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really hoping this show comes to Blue-Ray format. The finale was amazing, both this and Young Justice went out with a bang. I'll give the new DC Nation block a shot.

#4 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

huh weird the promos for next week said new episodes

#5 Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God said:

huh weird the promos for next week said new episodes

Wait!!! Maybe this could all be an elaborate ploy by Cartoon Network to make both Green Lantern and Young Justice more popular by cancelling them, thus creating more of a demand, thus making the shows more watched

#7 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God: Yeah, that just shows how much effort CN put into DC nation. They only have promos mentioning new episodes, so they use them all the time regardless of their accuracy. I first noticed this when they would say "And now an all new DC Nation short" and it was one I'd seen a few times already.

#8 Posted by BryanEllison (17 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that complicated

#9 Edited by Aeroman (498 posts) - - Show Bio

A moment of silence for green lantern:the animated series a good show that ended to early.

And now let us give the middle finger for whoever decided to end this show

#10 Posted by Rixec (363 posts) - - Show Bio

No way the fans will let CN get away with this after the finales of GLTAS and YJ! If they were raging before they'll unleash all of hell now! And let's not forget how GLTAS ended:

That lone blue ring flying after Razor. There is still Hope.

#11 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

For fans of Young Justice, Christopher Jones(One of the people working on the show) posted a survey. He will be using this data for something big so please fill it out and tell your friends: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15Fweu22NZ1ASUzeUUwkbFrAh6WmC1OKxyJ58zxP4O7I/viewform?pli=1

#12 Edited by ARMIV2 (8440 posts) - - Show Bio

Cartoon Network has a real problem with getting too bored too quickly with shows. Case in point: my avatar.

Like seriously, they throw all their money into one big cash cow (Adventure Time) and act as if the world can go on while shows with much better plots, writing, humor, and adventure are left to suffer.

#13 Posted by hazmat103 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

That was such a great ending. Seeing Razor flying away with the blue lantern ring chasing after him was so cool.

#14 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by FlyingGrayson22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@BryanEllison said:

It's not that complicated

#16 Posted by Oscars94 (2475 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by ptigrusmagus (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Will Razer be in comic book form? I think he could save Red Lanterns because that book is lacking. Or even Corps have him wield red and blue.

#18 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3773 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least in the end, there was hope.

#19 Posted by Ms. Omega (4450 posts) - - Show Bio

@hazmat103 said:

That was such a great ending. Seeing Razor flying away with the blue lantern ring chasing after him was so cool.

Yes that made me extremely happy to see that ending what a way to go out like that.

#20 Posted by Ms. Omega (4450 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus: Doubt it blue rings cancel out the powers of a red ring.

#21 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think you could interview the Producer of the show and ask that question about a Green Lantern Animated show movie again. We need a movie so could you ask him the question again so we can get a answer?

#22 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Really enjoyed this episode and the entire series this season, and can't see it perish like how it's currently doing after 18 episodes of the new animated series on Cartoon Network. 'Dark Matter' was such a great episode to end the series with a bang and hope all will be well for the Green Lantern franchise.

#23 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ms. Omega: Well his Red powers were leaning toward passion-fueled rather than rage-fueled, a la Prince Zuko, so maybe he could be special and use them cohesively?

#24 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus said:

Will Razer be in comic book form? I think he could save Red Lanterns because that book is lacking. Or even Corps have him wield red and blue.

red and blue dont work together.

#25 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

This was an amazing last episode, definitely my favorite

Man, I'm gonna miss this series

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Ms. Omega: Well his Red powers were leaning toward passion-fueled rather than rage-fueled, a la Prince Zuko, so maybe he could be special and use them cohesively?

i doubt thats how it works. Red Lantern rings run on rage and hatred, not passion

#27 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@KnightRise said:

i doubt thats how it works. Red Lantern rings run on rage and hatred, not passion

I'm thinking he's special. I know red and blue conflict, but if Kyle Rayner can possibly access the entire Emotional Spectrum, who says Winnick (RL writer, right?) can't alter how the rings work for a unique newish character?

#28 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13005 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@KnightRise said:

I'm thinking he's special. I know red and blue conflict, but if Kyle Rayner can possibly access the entire Emotional Spectrum, who says Winnick (RL writer, right?) can't alter how the rings work for a unique newish character?

nah, its Joshua Hale Fialkov. i guess its possible, i just dont really see the point.

#29 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that cried during this episode? Wow, it was so gripping and I loved every second of it. And as usual, I agree with k4tzm4n, the ending was just as exciting as Marvel Studios post-credit scenes, if not better. I know I am buying this as soon as it comes out.

#30 Posted by henkuo (8 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by ptigrusmagus (487 posts) - - Show Bio

I seeeee. I would really like to see Razer in comics either way, he is a cool character.

#32 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6451 posts) - - Show Bio

There is hope that Razer will find Aya. Could there be hope that Cartoon Netowrk will bring back Green Lantern Animated? I hope so.

#33 Posted by Moby (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the ending this show tried it's hardest to get to the audience's emotions. And it succeeded sad to see the show taken away. Cartoon Network is heartless towards it's few fans.

#34 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

this was a good show from tip to tail, i hope it gets ressurected along with the junior superfriends

#35 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

A better finale than I had hoped. I am still shocked that Razer conquered his rage and that he is now a member of the Blue Lantern Corps(this while not seen is proven by a blue power ring following him).

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Very sad to see it go. Hopefully there is a DVD/BRD release in the near future. Loved this show I tell you.

#37 Posted by k4tzm4n (40918 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Do you think you could interview the Producer of the show and ask that question about a Green Lantern Animated show movie again. We need a movie so could you ask him the question again so we can get a answer?

He wants that to happen (he retweeted someone making that request) but I doubt he could tell us the honest likelihood of something like that so soon.

Staff
#38 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: If it happens, I hope there are 2 to completely bring a decent end to the series. Well maybe three. Go the marvel route and make Final Crisis, then Blackest Night and end the series with War of the Green Lanterns. Since all of the films are basically self contained, Final Crisis would not really affect anything in the DCAU. 
#39 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20171 posts) - - Show Bio

Razor was such a great character.

#40 Posted by k4tzm4n (40918 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Razor was such a great character.

Indeed he is.

Staff