Green Lantern Episode 1.25 'Ranx' Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This is it, Fanterns... only one episode left before the show comes to its premature conclusion. Fortunately for us, this series continues to impress and, assuming the quality remains at this level, we're certainly in for a real treat with next week's finale.

The seemingly empty planet of Ranx has a force field and Aya has sent her army of Manhunters to break through. Clearly, she wants something on the surface and that concerns the Guardians. The blue leaders retaliate by sending a wave of Green Lanterns (lead by Guy Gardner!) to assault the robotic fleet.

This all-out assault sees the return of Lanterns we love (Ch'p!) and puts a heavy focus on Guy's arrogant yet hilarious nature. Staying true to his character earlier established in the show, he once again doesn't properly recall Hal's name and his recent promotion only further boosts his ego. The comedic banter remains sharp as well. Guy pointing out how silly it is for Hal to use a mask even though they're nowhere near Earth gave me a good chuckle. Oh, and the John Stewart joke? Priceless.

Let's see you talk your way out of this one, Guy.
Let's see you talk your way out of this one, Guy.

Even if you don't like the character animation, everything else is still visually stunning. The massive blasts from the giant construct cannons, Aya-Monitor smashing to the ground, the main trio swooping past explosives as Manhunters race after them... it's all a delightfully pleasant experience for your eyes.

The biggest moment here has to be Razer's epiphany. We've been holding onto hope for a happy ending even though deep down, pretty much everyone in the program believes Aya is beyond redemption. But Razer has finally let go of that dream, and it means I'll likely need a tissue box by my side for next week's final episode. Their relationship has been an emotional whirlwind and I'm confident the ending will be quite powerful.

It's always nice to see a show dive into its own history. Witnessing Razer utilize Saint Walker's technique and the return of various characters took me on a lovely trip down memory lane. It definitely has me motivated to watch this all over again after next Saturday's finale. My only minor complaint about this one is I wish they used this opportunity to bring back Sinestro. It's possible Ron Perlman was busy with other projects, though.

Pro tip: never try to negotiate with Aya. Green Lantern: The Animated Series has been on a roll and "Ranx" is yet another fantastic episode. It's a terrible shame the show is going to end so soon, but at least it's leaving us with some terrific material. Even if the show doesn't get another season (which sadly seems unlikely at this point), I'm absolutely purchasing this on DVD when it comes out.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doombot890

i will never stop crying

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ms__omega

@doombot890: I know how you feel :( Even John Stewart got a nod in this episode :(

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By BlueLantern1995

One more episode, hope that one is good. I want them to wrap things up nicely. And on a high note I may add.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By frozenedge2

Guy's comment about the mask was too hilarious. And then the two Lanterns with him realizing they're wearing masks too was the icing on the cake.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

I love that John Stewart got a nod, and hal mixing him up with Jon Stewart was even funnier.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilben42

Now I can truly say this animated series is connected to JLU. I kinda wish Aya would get out of the suit.

JohnCheriyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnCheriyan

Aya can be saved - she just needs to learn some compassion. Here's to hoping the Indigo tribe or power makes an appearance in the season finale!

Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Moby

Man I swore up and down that the planet that they were on was Mogo. Oh well it doesn't matter it was still a great episode!!!!

Avatar image for yourcounterpoint
YourCounterpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By YourCounterpoint

John Stewart Joke HA! I never thought I'd hear that from a kids show. wonderful.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By agent9149

This show is just giving me life.

I love it.

It needs to keep going.

sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sikboy1029

Man Aya is cold, she gouged the Antimonitors eyes out before ripping him in half.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@BlueLantern1995 said:

One more episode, hope that one is good. I want them to wrap things up nicely. And on a high note I may add.

This. If it show is going out it should go out with a bang.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lilben42

@sikboy1029: I hate how they say we have to shut her down like its going to be easy.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I have to say this is the best episode of the season thus far.

Ben3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ben3000

It's really a shame that the show is ending next week. Giancarlo Volpe said on twitter that they were going to set up John Stewart for season 2. I'm really hoping that this show goes out with a bang.

August_Macias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By August_Macias

Giancarlo Volpe has stated on Twitter that the Indigo Tribe makes no appearance or mention due to very little history was known at the time the episodes were being written.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stormultt

I cannot believe this is ending.

The best animation out right now along with star wars clone wars.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#18  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

That YJ episode was best of the season.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By danhimself

it's a shame that we got so many hints this season and we won't get to see them play out....Aya being a piece of Ion, the Book of Black on Scar's shelf, and now a hint of John Stewart...after next week I'm boycotting Cartoon Network and I encourage everyone else to do the same

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@danhimself said:

it's a shame that we got so many hints this season and we won't get to see them play out....Aya being a piece of Ion, the Book of Black on Scar's shelf, and now a hint of John Stewart...after next week I'm boycotting Cartoon Network and I encourage everyone else to do the same

YES! I have been for months! Even before they announced they were canceling YJ. Jerkwads!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself

@Miss_Garrick said:

@danhimself said:

YES! I have been for months! Even before they announced they were canceling YJ. Jerkwads!

you boycotted CN before they announced that they were cancelling YJ?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colonyofcells

My guess is Razer will have to merge with Aya and they will probably get a nice future when they change time at the beginning of time.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xtremekidx

amazing as always.....nothing to be said that hasnt been said before..

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CitizenJP

Epic episode. This show has really grown on me. The fact that this and Young Justice are getting canceled is beyond a travesty.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lilben42

@danhimself: Yeah then we'll burn the studio down hahaha the perfect plan.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Master_Thief

Young Justice 
 Green Lantern 
Transformers Prime 

All are going to be cancelled and replaced will shows we dont want

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@danhimself: I was getting ticked at how the scheduling was being messed around and how we would have ridiculous gaps between episodes. I've had way too much experience with cable channels getting me interested in a cartoon and then playing the episodes out of order or in this case the uneccessary gaps!

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

@Master_Thief said:

Young Justice Green Lantern Transformers Prime All are going to be cancelled and replaced will shows we dont want

Shows such as?

pokemonmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pokemonmon

@TeamUnitedNerds: for startzers, young justice will be replaced with yet a teen titans show i know it sounds great but have you seen the teen titans go shorts on dc nation? theyre stretching those out to 30 mins. and green lantern is being replaced with yet ANOTHER batman show. i mean i love batman but he is definitely one of the most overhyped dc characters

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colonyofcells

Batman is probably popular enough to have his own cartoon every year. I am not really sure if the new Teen Titans cartoon will be similar to the joke animated shorts.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Must catch up! Missed it yesterday!

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spiderbuck1

I love this show!! Why are they canceling it again??

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The Average Bear

I used to not like this show but after making myself watch all 25 episodes so far, I've really come to enjoy it. I loved when Guy was like, "promoted quicker than any Green Latern in history *looks at hand* it's true"

Sad to see this show go. Hopefully it could make a comeback. Never underestimate the Fanterns, Cartoon Network

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such an awesome show! It must stay!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By amazing_webhead

It all comes down to one more.

(sniff) We never even got to see Sinestro turn evil.

pokemonmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pokemonmon

@colonyofcells: thats exactly what they will be. theyve even aired the commercials

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By colonyofcells

I have looked at the trailers for powerpuff girls movie trailer and teen titans go trailer. Teen titans go has a slightly more detailed animation than powerpuff girls. The Teen Titans Go series Raven also has a longer body than the super short body seen in the joke shorts. I think I will also enjoy Teen Titans Go. Had enough of the Green Lantern Romeo and Juliet story of Aya and Razer.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

Nice to know that I wasn't the only one thinking of Powerpuff girls during Teen Titans Go trailers..