Green Lantern Episode 1.21 'Babel' Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Cartoon Network, don't do this to us. You're making a huge mistake by not renewing Green Lantern. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan when it first came out, but the last bunch of episodes have been amazingly good and easily ranked it among the best animated shows currently out there. I'm in love with this show now and will do whatever it takes to save it. CN, are you really just disappointed with toy sales? Point me in the right direction and I'll buy 'em all to keep this show going. 

The last few episodes have been an epic emotional whirlwind. The Razer/Aya relationship played out in a stellar manner and we're now dealing with its aftermath. The mood takes a major shift and 'Babel' is a ridiculously fun episode as the trio (Hal, Kilowog, Razer) crash land on a nearby planet. With their rings quickly running out of power and stuck in an unbreathable environment, the team finds a city to shield them from the deadly conditions. Unfortunately for them, the locals aren't too fond of Lanterns. Hilarity and good times ensue.  

No Caption Provided
This episode has an overdose of priceless moments that'll deliver huge laughs.  From the awkward miscommunication to Razer's epic Manhunter head toss, these moments kept me cracking up the entire time. In addition to the plentiful amount of chuckles, this episode was also filled with highly entertaining action. Chase sequences, melees and a battle with a "Super Rancor" were all a blast. Few things will top Kilowog's bartering abilities, though. The last few episodes have placed such a key focus on the characters relationships, so it was a nice change of pace to have an episode focused solely on keeping us amused.  

Overall, 'Babel' is another shockingly impressive chapter. I honestly have no major complaints and episodes like this make me feel like a kid again. I know the first half of the season was met with mixed responses, but this series has leveled up big time. I'm seriously going to miss this show, but at least it's departing on an incredibly high quality. 

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. Follow him on Twitter, poozer!
Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#1  Edited By StMichalofWilson

What was funny was when Kilowag and Razer shared that moment when they admitted to not understanding what Hal was saying.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wow, Rankorr sure does look odd there without looking all Red Lantern.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NightFang3

@StMichalofWilson said:

What was funny was when Kilowag and Razer shared that moment when they admitted to not understanding what Hal was saying.

I lol. Has anybody read the translations of the dialogue by Kevin Rubio on Twitter yet?

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Barkley

funny they think kids watch a character over 50 years old....adults watch this cartoon that's why they don't have toy sales...stupid...this a dumb reason to create a tv show or movie toys ...even kids don't play with toys much any more...they should be making video games for home systems and hand held games....phones and tablets....somebody needs to be fired at marketing....the show needs to be continued...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Seriously, where did Razer pull all those weapons from?? 

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spinningbirdcake

We should be blaming kids. If they would just buy the toys!!!

No Caption Provided
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NightFang3

@The Stegman said:

Seriously, where did Razer pull all those weapons from??

IDK, I guess it's time for a strip search!

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#8  Edited By lostlantern13

This episode was a good showing for how GL:TAS does a great job of capturing who Hal Jordan is.

ThreadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThreadPool

I like this show too, but why are there never any Young Justice reviews?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By lifeboy

I cant read the review fellow lanterns because I cant watch the episode this week. I will have to watch it when I buy the series on bluray. Yeah, its that good!

ComocYahweh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ComocYahweh

Am I the only one who thinks Kilowog size is all off? He is supposed to be like 7'8 and Hal like 6'. But Kilowog here is just slightly taller.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By comicace3

The funniest moment was when Kilowag and Hal's rings were recharged and Kilowag gave Razer the manhunter head. Then he realized he was a red lantern. The second funniest moment was when they were criticizing each others fashion in clothes . And is anyone else sighing the petition?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@comicace3 said:

The funniest moment was when Kilowag and Hal's rings were recharged and Kilowag gave Razer the manhunter head. Then he realized he was a red lantern. The second funniest moment was when they were criticizing each others fashion in clothes . And is anyone else sighing the petition?

I signed it, but it won't matter. There isn't really a whole lot of power in an online petition.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By comicace3

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@comicace3 said:

I signed it, but it won't matter. There isn't really a whole lot of power in an online petition.

It's worth a try.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrangeMan

Why do people say that the 1st part of the season wasn't that good?, i mean, yeah, it started out a little bit slow and the episodes weren't as good as the second part of the season, but they were still good (although the fight between Hal and Atrocitus was a tad dissapointing), honestly, i love the show since it began.

Also, i find this episode to be one of the better written in the entire show, it was insanely good.

Liko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Liko

I collect Green Lantern stuff in general and I've never once seen Green Lantern TAS toys for sale anywhere. This series is great. I cannot wait to buy it when it comes out on DVD. I watch it every week. Cartoon Network has been pitiful at their choices for shows. I hope another network can pick this up. The last few episodes have been amazing.

CrashofRhinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrashofRhinos

The closer this show gets to the end the better it gets. Sad.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skewer

Save this show by buying the DVDs and merchandise. It's the only way to save the show.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By charlieboy

Green Lantern is a great show. I am going to miss it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By amazing_webhead

Hearing Kilowog say the oath in his native language and it ending in "Green Lantern", was epic.

TheMightyHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMightyHerc

I love this !! A great Show for me, like all DC's tv shows...

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScreamingGhost

It really is a shame these two series YJ and GL have just gotten better both deserved another season but alas it seems its not meant to be. Unfortunatley CN loves to run there shows based off toy sales heck I heard back in the day they almost cancelled Justice League until either Bruce Timm or someone else on the series proposed the toy deal.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@AmazingWebHead said:

Hearing Kilowog say the oath in his native language and it ending in "Green Lantern", was epic.

VERY!
Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Moby
No Caption Provided

I liked the show I want to see a new member added to the crew though and is razor going to become a green lantern? And I want to see Guy Gardner again he's my favorite green lantern and be had a big affect on the red lanterns in comics.