Posted by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) - - Show Bio

WARNING! FULL SPOILERS BELOW!

If Green Lantern is going to go off the air in the coming weeks, at least it's departing on an amazing note. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of the first half of Season One. It was a good dose of fun but never raised the bar or did anything to compete with some of the better animated shows. But ever since its the episode with Guy Gardner, this show has been bringing it 110% (it's just too bad that totally unexplained DC Nation break happened).

The last episode, 'Loss,' was a powerhouse. The death of Aya was predictable during that scene but still managed to pack an incredible impact and was executed in such an impressive manner (the animation with the Anti-Monitor's attacks look so good). Now she's gone and we're left seeing how everyone will react while still trying to take down the seemingly invincible Anti-Monitor. The reactions are fitting as Razer tells them about the tragedy. The guardian bluntly provides the cold but logical response (Anti-Monitor > mourning) as Kilowog and the others have a brief but somber reaction to the loss before getting back to the mission at hand. Razer's naturally hit the hardest and this is casually reflected in his posture and facial expressions during the first act. Then the first few minutes goes above and beyond to show us they're not messing around with the villain. The arrogant little Guardian is blasted apart in a fantastic looking and powerful scene... but I can't say she will be missed!

That's two big deaths in two episodes, but then just moments later we're hit with a real shocker: Aya's still alive! As a last ditch effort, she was able to download herself into a severely damaged Manhunter. She now looks like something taken right out of a horror movie and the appearance gives Razer a huge epiphany -- he loves a machine. Just because this is a show for all ages doesn't mean you should ever underestimate how brilliant the script can be. The love story here is staggeringly engrossing and I have no shame in saying the way he broke her "heart" broke mine a little bit, too. I was skeptical about where this relationship would go at first but I'm incredibly pleased with how everything has turned out between the two. It went from heartwarming to tragic to downright painfully sad. This show just absorbs all of your sympathy as she helplessly tries to understand her pain and Hal honestly wants to help but needs to focus on more pressing events. You almost want to reach into the screen and give her a hug.

I can't get over how enjoyable the space battles are. There's a huge war as the Red Lanterns and The Interceptor tries to save Ysmault from the Anti-Monitor and its fleet of Manhunters. There were enough explosions to make even Michael Bay slightly jealous and following the Manhunters as they soar through a sea of lasers is a blast. But the real kicker is when Aya realizes what she has to do to save the day. Shutting down her emotions and taking all of the power from the ship, her actions in the battle left my jaw on the ground. The way she blasted apart Manhunters was impressive and she essentially used a friggin' battleship as a battering ram!

The conclusion with Aya seems appropriate as well. She literally turned off the pain she felt after Razer plainly said he doesn't love her and never did (ouch, by the way). After all that this poor AI has endured, it seems natural that she'd see only the worst in organic beings and want to no longer be a part of their world. I'd love to see her incorporated again down the road, but I don't think that's likely since this show now has an expiration date and I imagine there's other stories that had set up already. It's too bad if we don't see her again but at least that was a superb way to go out.

My only real complaint here is the Anti-Monitor's voice. All I can say is good luck understanding it if you had trouble with Bane. Aside from that small problem, this was a stellar way to conclude the Anti-Monitor plot. The story with Razer and Aya is seriously engaging and the action is top-notch. This series has really stepped up its game and it's depressing to know it won't get another season.

Staff
#1 Posted by Rixec (371 posts) - - Show Bio

That wasn't Sayd. It was a different female Guardian.

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (7082 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the first season but it didn't do much for me. The second season has been fantastic though. It's a real shame to see this show go the way of the buffalo. I've really come around to Aya and Razer. BTW Razer was a real jerk off this episode.

#3 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Great work k4tzm4n! I have been waiting for you to post your review for the last 3 hours. Its hard to believe they set the bar even higher than it already was:-)

#4 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad Aya is still alive at the end, even if she changed at the end.

#5 Posted by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rixec said:

That wasn't Sayd. It was a different female Guardian.

Thank you for the correction. Updated the piece.

@longbowhunter said:

I watched the first season but it didn't do much for me. The second season has been fantastic though. It's a real shame to see this show go the way of the buffalo. I've really come around to Aya and Razer. BTW Razer was a real jerk off this episode.

100% agreed.

@lifeboy said:

Great work k4tzm4n! I have been waiting for you to post your review for the last 3 hours. Its hard to believe they set the bar even higher than it already was:-)

Apologies. I watched The Clone Wars twice and spent a lot of time on that review. I also watched this one twice before reviewing it :)

Staff
#6 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

##spoiler

That aya has gone crazy. Im pretty sure she killed those red lanterns on that ship to get at the anti-moniter.

Do you suppose this episode was a commentary on the cancellation of the show in that the cartoon network gave us something that we love and then took it away, there for organic life decisions make no sense and all life on earth must cease.

But seriously though, where can we complain about the cancellation?

#7 Posted by Sniper_King (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, this show is so awesome. Why Cartoon Network have to cancel

#8 Posted by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

The Anti Monitor thing could have been better but this episode was still pretty good. That Guardian tried her best.

#9 Posted by ChillinVillain (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I do feel for Aya, Razer the right thing; he was lying to himself and her when he say he loved her. It was only due to his lingering feeling over his dead wife, combined with Aya stealing/aquiring her face.

Oh, and poor Red Lanterns; Aya was wrong for that lol.

#10 Posted by abeyance (238 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like the very beginning of Season 1, but it got better. Season 2 had me from the beginning. I always wanted to know more about the other lanterns besides Green and this show was delivering that. I knew Aya was going to come back because of all the development and interactions with manhunters they gave her. The whole Aya's sentience being an issue with the guardians wasn't seen in full effect with her death. Now upon her return Hal and the gang see how dangerous Aya can be, but I don't think she will be on a path of annihilation like the Anti-Monitor. I can see her being more of a mother figure to the Manhunters and making a life for them somwhere in the universe. Razer really was a jerk. He knew Aya had emotions, even if she was a machine. She went out of her way to make his stay with Hal's group a little better from the moment they met. That should have counted for something. I wish this show would get to the Sinestro Corp. I saw a clip of Jordan with multiple rings. I think we will get a Parallax ending. It's really a shame Cartoon Network keeps cancelling interesting shows like this, and Thundercats. I assume they want to make an opening for more BATMAN shows.

#11 Posted by DMXN (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really getting tired of Aya and Razer's relationship. They don't love each other, they love each other, then again they don't love each. And Razer is always depressed.

#12 Posted by NightFang (10057 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

The Anti Monitor thing could have been better but this episode was still pretty good. That Guardian tried her best.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the episode.

#13 Posted by Aeroman (501 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it's all razer fault

#14 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible decision by CN to cancel the show. This was a fantastic episode.

#15 Posted by AmazingWebHead (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

There was nothing in that episode that didn't take me by surprise.

#16 Posted by ChillinVillain (158 posts) - - Show Bio

@abeyance said:

Razer really was a jerk. He knew Aya had emotions, even if she was a machine. She went out of her way to make his stay with Hal's group a little better from the moment they met. That should have counted for something.

It did count for something, but Razer NEVER truly loved her; it was just do to her having his dead wife's face.

This was gonna end at some point or another, but I'm glad (and somewhat impressed/surprised) the show took a more mature route with this.

#17 Posted by notoriousmistersims (91 posts) - - Show Bio

season2 of gl has been a good watch so far shame they cancelling it and yj was great this week also

#18 Posted by dondave (37399 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome episode

#19 Posted by Bobsjonjon (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Really good episode.

#20 Posted by ComicKing7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio
@lifeboy: I read that if Dc nation gets a lot more views in the next 2 months it will be saved
#21 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3822 posts) - - Show Bio

The sub heading shoud have been 'Aya is back (Yay)! As the new Anti-Monitor (Wait, What?)!

#22 Posted by GloriaHiggs22 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

just before I saw the check which said $5464, I did not believe that my mother in law was like realey taking home money part time from their laptop.. there mums best friend has done this 4 only 12 months and recently paid for the loans on there place and got a new volvo. I went here, Great60.com

#23 Posted by AmazingWebHead (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else notice Zaxx quoted Bugs Bunny?

"Well, don't think it hasn't been a thin slice of heaven, because it hasn't!"

#24 Edited by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

cartoon network has officially become bull**** cause it is cancelling two of the best shows ever......just hope that through a miracle,they understand that these shows can provide them profits if they try to find other ways.

anyway,really loved the ending and was literally not expecting that...can't wait to see the reaction of everybody on these events and was laughing hard when nobody gave a fuck for the dead guardian!

#25 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

They could've just used Grandmaster instead of anti-monitor. Lots of better uses for the anti-monitor. The manhunters would be more interesting if they were not portrayed as slaves of 1 master.

#26 Posted by JohnCheriyan (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one thing to say: "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

#27 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bad looking Anti-Monitor!

#28 Posted by Pyrogram (38286 posts) - - Show Bio

This was an amazing episode.

#29 Posted by Emperormeister734 (813 posts) - - Show Bio

This show and Young Justice must be saved

#30 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Fix.

#31 Posted by SoA (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

i could hear the anti-monitor fine , dkr bane still sucks

#32 Posted by CraigWayne (63 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a good episode.The Aya heel turn was a really good twist

#33 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

You suck CN the show was getting so good WTH!!!!

#34 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of the best of the series. Still waiting for that Orange Lantern episode the keep advertising at the end of Star wars and young justice.

#35 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

why do we get reviews on this crap of a show and not on Young Justice when it's so much better. Hope someone picks that show up after cartoon network kills it.

#36 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

I am actually liking this show better than young justice right now. This episode is definitely one of my favorites! Why is it all of the awesome shows get canceled?!

@k4tzm4n: I am really liking your reviews, and agree with just about everything you mention which I find pretty rare. Well done!

#37 Edited by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) - - Show Bio
@weaponx said:

I am actually liking this show better than young justice right now. This episode is definitely one of my favorites! Why is it all of the awesome shows get canceled?!

@k4tzm4n: I am really liking your reviews, and agree with just about everything you mention which I find pretty rare. Well done!

Thanks a lot! 

@JamDamage

said:

why do we get reviews on this crap of a show and not on Young Justice when it's so much better. Hope someone picks that show up after cartoon network kills it.

Because: 
A) Just because you think it's a  "crap of a show" doesn't mean others do.  See the comments for evidence of this. 
B) I never watched all of Season 1, so my emotional investment isn't all there.
Staff